Help a noob upgrade a ASUS ROG STRIX GA15DH-SBR77X-CB ?

OnTheEdgh

Budget (including currency): $1000-1500 CAD (about $750-1250 USD)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  AAA gaming, occasional light video editing and graphic design, streaming, School work and multi-tasking

Other details:

Context: I’m completely new to building PC’s, my current set up was given to me as a gift and I want to upgrade some parts over the next year or so.

I would like to upgrade the motherboard, RAM, SSD, and cooling system (thoughts on possible parts are below my current setup, but I’m open to feedback and recommendations!). Also, RGB is cool but not absolutely necessary. 

Last thing: Can anyone point me to tutorials or walk throughs on how to re-install windows when I change the SSD? The current one is 512GB and has Windows 10 installed on it, but I’m not sure how to go about doing a fresh re-install when I change the SSD. I have an okay understanding of the part, but I’m terrified of data loss and compatibility issues when I go to upgrade. 

Current Setup: 

Asus ROG Strix GA15DH-SBR77X-CB  https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-rog-strix-gaming-pc-black-amd-ryzen-7-3700x-2tb-hdd-512gb-ssd-16gb-ram-geforce-rtx-2070-super/14431176 

Current Parts:

• Processor: AMD Ryzen 7-3700X 3.6GHz (32M Cache, up to 4.4 GHz)
  • Motherboard Chipset: AMD B450 - 2 RAM Slots (I called asus to ask for details but they could only give me minimal info)
  • Memory: 16GB DDR4-3200 LO-DIMM (single channel)
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER (8GB dedicated memory)
  • SATA: 4x SATA 6.0Gb/s 
  • Storage: 2TB SATA 7200 3.5” HDD + 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0 SSD
  • Front IO: 1xUSB 3.2 Gen 1 Type C | 1xUSB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A | 1x headphone | 1x mic
  • Rear IO: 2xUSB 3.2 Gen 2 Type A | 4xUSB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A | 1x DVI-D | 2x PS/2 (mouse&keyboard) | 1x Mic in | 1x Front speaker out | 1x Line-in | 1x RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet | 1x VGA(D-Sub) - Out
  • Expansion Slots: 2xPCIe 3.0 x1 | 1x PCIe 3.0 x16 | 1x M.2 connector for SSD | 2x DDR4 U-DIMM slots
  • Audio: Realtek ALC887
  • Network: Wi-Fi 5 + Bluetooth 5.0
  • Airflow set up: 1x small fan at the back | 1x cheap tiny fan for the CPU | from what I can tell, the case has quite a bit of airflow through the front, back, and top
  • Power Supply: 500W 80 PLUS (not sure what brand because I haven’t opened the case all the way and it’s difficult to get too)

Displays: 

Primary: ACER 27” FHD 75Hz 4ms GTG ISP LED FreeSync Gaming Monitor (CB272 bmiprx) 

• Resolution: 1080p HD (1920x1080)
  • Aspect Ratio: 16:9
  • Display Type: LED
  • Backlight: LED Backlit LCD
  • Response Time: 4ms
  • Refresh Rate: 75Hz
  • Brightness: 250 cd/m2
  • Static Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
  • Colou Gamut: 16.7M
  • Ports: 1x Display Port | 1x HDMI | 1x VGA

Secondary: ASUS 23.8” VP249HE Eye Care Monitor

• Resolution: 1080p HD (1920x1080)
  • Aspect Ratio: 16:9
  • Backlight: LED
  • Response Time: 5ms
  • Refresh Rate: 75Hz
  • Brightness: 250 cd/m2
  • Static Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
  • Colou Gamut: 16.7M
  • Ports: 1x HDMI | 1x VGA

Third Screen (occasional only) Samsung 51” Plasma TV 

• Ports: HDMIx 2 | 1x VGA | 2x USB | 1x Optical 

Peripherals I have/will need to plug-in:

1. Razer Huntsman TKL tournament edition (USB-A - USB C)
  2. Razer Mamba wireless mouse (USB A - Micro USB/Micro to USB A  for range extender)
  3. Razer Goliath RGB mousepad (USB A - non-detachable cord)
  4. Blue Yeti X microphone with boom arm (USB A - Micro USB)
  5. Logitech C920 1080p Streaming Webcam (USB A - non-detachable cord) 
  6. Cheap Wired speaker (3.5mm AUX - 3.5mm AUX))
  7. Display 1 (Display Port or HDMI)
  8. Display 2 (HDMI)
  9. *TV screen ( HDMI)
  10. *Surround Sound Set-Up (needs Optical connection)
  11. **ANKER USB-C Hub (2xUSB A | 1xHDMI | 1x SD | 1x Micro SD)
  12. **WD 1TB external SSD (USB A)
  13. **WD 2TB external Hard drive (USB A)
  14. **Epson duplex document Scanner (USB A - Micro-B)

(*not currently connected but would like to have regularly connected - **extras/occasional use)

What I am considering upgrading too: 

Motherboard: I’m looking at the X570 and B550 chipset for if I eventually want to upgrade the CPU, but that won’t be for a while)

OR

Memory (32GB for now, eventually 64):

Storage:

Cooling:

OR

OR

Thank you for your thoughts, feedback, recommendations or suggestions!

Aren

C69D77C6-2285-433B-A82A-E41307FAE67B.jpeg

EDA66943-4624-41B0-B64C-4CE5E94E3F5B.jpeg

F7BA9D57-C927-4579-8968-2DB50253EED4.jpeg

I suggest adding one more ram for dual channel support, it will improve your performance significantly

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Single-PC4-25600-Unbuffered-288-Pin/dp/B07Q4FX2D5/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=DDR4+Single+16GB+3200MHZ&qid=1615073662&sr=8-14

Or if you have more money to spend, get new dual 3600 cl16 ram

• 3 weeks later...

I currently own the same mid tower size case as yours. Mine is just a downgraded version of what you have. Ryzen 5 3600X and 2060 Super. I am pretty sure the case is the same with mine. I highly doubt you can fit a 280mm radiator in the front since there is even little room to fit a 240mm. I just installed one 120mm fan in the front and I can confirm it only has enough screw slots (If that's what you call them) for a 120mm radiator/fan. If you puta 240mm in there, you might need to do a little rigging because there is this small hole that accommodates a lock for the front cover. 

Please let me know if you upgraded your cooler and the results you got. I rarely see posts like this anywhere. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 4:31 AM, Eddy97 said:

I currently own the same mid tower size case as yours. Mine is just a downgraded version of what you have. Ryzen 5 3600X and 2060 Super. I am pretty sure the case is the same with mine. I highly doubt you can fit a 280mm radiator in the front since there is even little room to fit a 240mm. I just installed one 120mm fan in the front and I can confirm it only has enough screw slots (If that's what you call them) for a 120mm radiator/fan. If you puta 240mm in there, you might need to do a little rigging because there is this small hole that accommodates a lock for the front cover. 

Please let me know if you upgraded your cooler and the results you got. I rarely see posts like this anywhere. 

What I did with mine is instead of using screws, I used four tie wraps to secure the 120mm fan to the front of the chassis.  I'm wondering if can upgrade the ram to 3600 from 3200 any ideas?

On 3/6/2021 at 3:28 PM, OnTheEdgh said:

Adding info for case size and pictures of case:

18.50cm x 42.10cm x 49.80 cm

6.10” x 16.57” x 19.60”

More info/pics https://www.mysmartprice.com/gear/asus-rog-strix-ga15-gaming-desktop-review/

92EF29E6-BC3F-4928-8951-EC02BD2272D1.jpeg

30F38B2C-C08C-48CD-84BB-642C236F1C66.webp 300.67 kB · 0 downloads

Did you upgrade your ram yet?

On 3/31/2021 at 5:50 AM, Hawksmylie said:

Did you upgrade your ram yet?

Yeah, I've got the ram upgraded with the kind linked in the original post (2x16gb) and upgraded the motherboard to the ASUS TUF x570 plus wifi. It's so much faster 

On 3/23/2021 at 3:31 AM, Eddy97 said:

I'm now looking at a different case for the future. I didn't realize when I bought it how crap the case was gonna be essentially confined to 1x80mm rear fan and 1x120mm at the front. Not sure what case at the moment (looking at something crosair though).

I also ended up upgrading the motherboard to the ASUS TUF gaming + wifi 

To be honest I kinda hate this pc but I needed something now and it was a gift so I can't complain because it does the basics. 

7 hours ago, OnTheEdgh said:

Yeah, I've got the ram upgraded with the kind linked in the original post (2x16gb) and upgraded the motherboard to the ASUS TUF x570 plus wifi. It's so much faster 

Did you upgrade your memory on your Strix MB, before you switched over to your Tuf? I haven't switched up my memory yet. I have a single 16 gig ram  stick running at 3200, but I'm wondering if the G15DH MB, will run with 16 or 32 gigs of ram but running at a faster speed like 3600?

30 minutes ago, Hawksmylie said:

Did you upgrade your memory on your Strix MB, before you switched over to your Tuf? I haven't switched up my memory yet. I have a single 16 gig ram  stick running at 3200, but I'm wondering if the G15DH MB, will run with 16 or 32 gigs of ram but running at a faster speed like 3600?

I did try it on the Strix one first. Every time I tried to overclock the ram/turn on xmp the computer wouldn't post (all lights and fans running but no display feed). I even exchanged my original one and it happen to the second one as well (I verified a hundred times that I did the right thing too). The only way to get it to run again after war to reset the CMOS. 

Everything worked perfectly on the TUF X570 though with the exact same ram sticks 

12 hours ago, OnTheEdgh said:

I did try it on the Strix one first. Every time I tried to overclock the ram/turn on xmp the computer wouldn't post (all lights and fans running but no display feed). I even exchanged my original one and it happen to the second one as well (I verified a hundred times that I did the right thing too). The only way to get it to run again after war to reset the CMOS. 

Everything worked perfectly on the TUF X570 though with the exact same ram sticks 

Maybe I'll stick with the 3200 instead of screwing around with the cmos. I figure I'll just increase the ram to 64 running at 3200. When it comes time, I'll upgrade the board. For now I have a a 500 gig ssd. I bought an amd wraith prism that will be installed in a couple of weeks. And next month I'll change the 500 watt psu. 

On 4/6/2021 at 7:08 PM, Hawksmylie said:

Maybe I'll stick with the 3200 instead of screwing around with the cmos. I figure I'll just increase the ram to 64 running at 3200. When it comes time, I'll upgrade the board. For now I have a a 500 gig ssd. I bought an amd wraith prism that will be installed in a couple of weeks. And next month I'll change the 500 watt psu. 

Yeah, the ram is a bit overkill on the original board. It works great with the new one though, no issues. It's not amazing looking at the moment but it's functional lolIMG_20210321_212034__01__01.thumb.jpg.3689cbf6175fe64e649ee21ab0484d11.jpg

What I've uploaded so far:

Ram - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32gb 3600

Mobo - ASUS X570 TUF gaming (plus) WiFi 

Storage - Samsung Evo Plus M.2 1tb

All I'm waiting to upgrade now are the following:

Corsair 5000x RGB case

Corsair 750RX PSU 

Corsair Elite iH115 

Im only upgrading the case because the one it comes with won't accommodate a 240mm+ aio and the rear fan is only 80mm.

That being said the original parts will go towards a computer for my partner down the line (whenever graphics cards become reasonable again) so they won't go to waste! 

On 4/11/2021 at 5:55 PM, OnTheEdgh said:

Yeah, the ram is a bit overkill on the original board. It works great with the new one though, no issues. It's not amazing looking at the moment but it's functional lolIMG_20210321_212034__01__01.thumb.jpg.3689cbf6175fe64e649ee21ab0484d11.jpg

What I've uploaded so far:

Ram - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32gb 3600

Mobo - ASUS X570 TUF gaming (plus) WiFi 

Storage - Samsung Evo Plus M.2 1tb

All I'm waiting to upgrade now are the following:

Corsair 5000x RGB case

Corsair 750RX PSU 

Corsair Elite iH115 

Im only upgrading the case because the one it comes with won't accommodate a 240mm+ aio and the rear fan is only 80mm.

That being said the original parts will go towards a computer for my partner down the line (whenever graphics cards become reasonable again) so they won't go to waste! 

Just now, Hawksmylie said:

The ram that you had before you changed the Mobo, was it 240 pin or 288?

On 4/16/2021 at 5:53 PM, Hawksmylie said:

Are you using the same case?

For now yet. I'm planning to get the Corsair 5000X RGB. The ram was what came with the system so I didn't check exact specs. 

8 hours ago, OnTheEdgh said:

For now yet. I'm planning to get the Corsair 5000X RGB. The ram was what came with the system so I didn't check exact specs. 

I plan to put in 32 gigs of g-skill sniper into it, weird thing is I've updated the bios, so when I go into the bios and go to memory frequency and scroll down I find not only 3200 as a speed but also 3600 all the way up to 6000. Any idea if that's right? Does your system have that? Because you and I would basically have the same bios.