"MicroATX Mini" clarification needed

Waffle_Loard

Hi, I'm currently doing a simple build for a friend and ran into a bit of confusing wording when checking out the "Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case".

What's getting me is the "mini" part, does this mean its a mini tower or a microATX with mini support or something else I am not catching?

(aforementioned pc build)

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Waffle_Loard/saved/fp6N6h

It's just them calling the case a mini tower.

Just a heads up the case is kinda crud for airflow. Fine for low end systems but nothing higher.

Also couple things. That board can just about barely handle a 6core cpu I'd invest a little more and get something that won't make the system slower/die when stuff gets too intense for too long.

Also no ssd? Windows 10 installed on a hdd + trying to play a game from that same hdd is basically a no in terms of usability. Even just windows 10 on a hdd is a pretty bad experience.

You also forgot a gpu. The 3600 doesn't have a igpu.

27 minutes ago, Waffle_Loard said:

Hi, I'm currently doing a simple build for a friend and ran into a bit of confusing wording when checking out the "Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case".

What's getting me is the "mini" part, does this mean its a mini tower or a microATX with mini support or something else I am not catching?

(aforementioned pc build)

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Waffle_Loard/saved/fp6N6h

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It's just them calling the case a mini tower.

Just a heads up the case is kinda crud for airflow. Fine for low end systems but nothing higher.

Also couple things. That board can just about barely handle a 6core cpu I'd invest a little more and get something that won't make the system slower/die when stuff gets too intense for too long.

Also no ssd? Windows 10 installed on a hdd + trying to play a game from that same hdd is basically a no in terms of usability. Even just windows 10 on a hdd is a pretty bad experience.

You also forgot a gpu. The 3600 doesn't have a igpu.

To build on this. If you're trying to go no GPU for budget, look into the 3200g or 3400g. You might also look at how Intel iGPUs compare to them. Here's one, but I'd do some research of my own as well. 1 comparison isn't enough to go off of 😉

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 hour ago, Voluspa said:

To build on this. If you're trying to go no GPU for budget, look into the 3200g or 3400g. You might also look at how Intel iGPUs compare to them. Here's one, but I'd do some research of my own as well. 1 comparison isn't enough to go off of 😉

I am aware of the lack of a gpu, this is due to current prices being a steaming cow pie, I have yet to find a good price-performance because of this (dedicated GPU is a must so iGPUs are out of the picture) 

The system is intended to be budget hence the cheap case, I recognize its poor airflow but this should not be a major concern for its intended use case.

As for the mobo, would a Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2 Micro ATX AM4 be an adequate alternative?

As for the SSD I have a 256 gb m.2 one already on hand its just not on the list to avoid confusion when purchasing parts.

thx for the input thus far.

2 hours ago, Waffle_Loard said:

I am aware of the lack of a gpu, this is due to current prices being a steaming cow pie, I have yet to find a good price-performance because of this (dedicated GPU is a must so iGPUs are out of the picture) 

The system is intended to be budget hence the cheap case, I recognize its poor airflow but this should not be a major concern for its intended use case.

As for the mobo, would a Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2 Micro ATX AM4 be an adequate alternative?

As for the SSD I have a 256 gb m.2 one already on hand its just not on the list to avoid confusion when purchasing parts.

thx for the input thus far.

you can probably keep the side panel off for gaming for better temps if its a problem. not ideal but hey cheap is the goal

imo you dont need a $100 psu that can go for a better case posably only 8gb ram as well.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

the mini is reference to the size of the case.

I would avoid it if I was you, I had the case for my sons PC and it was not good for airflow.

you would think with the amount of holes on it that it would have good airflow but the holes are too restrictive and its a dust magnet.

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

they are calling it a MicroATX Mini Tower Case because it can only support a motherboard that is a microATX size form factor and nothing bigger. if you want decent or good airflow i would suggest looking into a mid tower or bigger as they still support a microATX board but more room for the air to move over the components.

and here is a video of the different sizes of computer cases. Chassis Size Comparison - YouTube