How to set up a mining rig

Budget (including currency): Not very high, just want some info for now

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mining....

Other details: I have an old rx580 laying around. Along with a AM4 mobo, heatsink, case, and PSU. I know that the rx580 wont give a huge amount of mining power, but I just want to start testing and see what its all about.

I don't know a lot about mining, but if someone could help me understand or just tell he how it works and what I can do to get started.

Thanks! 🙂 

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

Just now, Spudwell06 said:

a 580 has a bad Performance per Watt so it may not be a wise choice

I know that it may not be the smartest idea, but I was thinking that I could just start to learn about it and explore my options. 

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

Just now, Spudwell06 said:

a 580 has a bad Performance per Watt so it may not be a wise choice

still has almost $1 a day on nicehash.

For roughly $1 a day (depending on power cost), it doesnt make sense putting too much effort. Just install nicehash, run it, and make sure there are minimal background tasks.

Just now, curiousmind34 said:

still has almost $1 a day on nicehash.

For roughly $1 a day (depending on power cost), it doesnt make sense putting too much effort. Just install nicehash, run it, and make sure there are minimal background tasks.

thanks for the info. 

From this, I can assume that nicehash is the software used to mine? Boot it up, run software and im good to go?

1 minute ago, MarvintheParrot said:

thanks for the info. 

From this, I can assume that nicehash is the software used to mine? Boot it up, run software and im good to go?

yeah