PSU sound problems

YaboiArthur

So pretty recent i upgraded from a haswell (i5-4670k with a b85 board) to a ryzen 2600 with b450 motherboard. I never had problems with my power supply (seasonic core gold 650) before the upgrade. However since the upgrade a really high pitched sound is coming off the power supply. At first i didn't notice the sound because it is really quiet but after a couple of days my ears started to hurt. The power supply made a sound when power was going through it on the haswell system aswell. Only it was more of a low more audile humming sound that kinda faded in the background like the sound of a clock would. I already swapped motherboards as my previous b450 motherboard had other issues. I hoped this would solve the sound problem aswell yet it didn't. Do you guys have any tips on things i could check or if I can change things in the bios?

1 hour ago, YaboiArthur said:

So pretty recent i upgraded from a haswell (i5-4670k with a b85 board) to a ryzen 2600 with b450 motherboard. I never had problems with my power supply (seasonic core gold 650) before the upgrade. However since the upgrade a really high pitched sound is coming off the power supply. At first i didn't notice the sound because it is really quiet but after a couple of days my ears started to hurt. The power supply made a sound when power was going through it on the haswell system aswell. Only it was more of a low more audile humming sound that kinda faded in the background like the sound of a clock would. I already swapped motherboards as my previous b450 motherboard had other issues. I hoped this would solve the sound problem aswell yet it didn't. Do you guys have any tips on things i could check or if I can change things in the bios?

probably a problem with your PSU i would suggest not to run your pc until you swaped it for a new one. as if it's the voltage controller fucking it it might push too much voltage to your components.

Maybe if you try turning on and off some power saving features in the bios could possibly fix this, or stuff like pbo... since this is apparently a power delivery issue, changing some power related stuff might fix it - though your sensible options are limited here obviously. 

maybe also try different windows power plans... 

other obvious possible solution: new PSU 

2 hours ago, Henry0161 said:

probably a problem with your PSU i would suggest not to run your pc until you swaped it for a new one. as if it's the voltage controller fucking it it might push too much voltage to your components.

while I would always argue coil whine might be a 'defect' as it can make stuff literally unusable, it's not a technical defect, the unit usually works as intended albeit with total disregard of the user's well-being. 🤷🏼

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

12 hours ago, Henry0161 said:

as if it's the voltage controller

What the hell is the "voltage controller"? That's not a thing in these SMPSUs.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

On 3/4/2021 at 4:54 PM, Mark Kaine said:

Maybe if you try turning on and off some power saving features in the bios could possibly fix this, or stuff like pbo... since this is apparently a power delivery issue, changing some power related stuff might fix it - though your sensible options are limited here obviously. 

maybe also try different windows power plans... 

other obvious possible solution: new PSU 

while I would always argue coil whine might be a 'defect' as it can make stuff literally unusable, it's not a technical defect, the unit usually works as intended albeit with total disregard of the user's well-being. 🤷🏼

Yeah the well being part is the most annoying thing. Like I just feel like i can't use my pc without my ears hurting. The worst part is that I feel like the sound is subjective. My brother can hear the sound aswell but my partents and other brother just don't hear the problem. I could RMA the product but if the guy judging the RMA doesn't hear it then there is nothing wrong with the product. Next to that it might be another component that causes the problem as before i thought it was the motherboard.