Anyway to remotely wake up and put to sleep my Raspberry Pi?

Go to solution Solved by SupaKomputa,
44 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

Thats why I was asking, how much power does that consume while Idle?

Idc when it's not idle, cuz work is being done so power doesnt matter.

My biggest issue is that I have 2 external hhds, 1TB and the 2TB one, and the Pi can't power both. HDDs makes beeping sounds if I plug both and doesnt show up on the os. Both seperately are fine.

Typical HDD would consume 10w on load, around 5-6w when idle / spin down.

With 2 hdd you would cost you around 10w on idle.

I suggest getting a dual plug sata  if you can't run both hdd at the same time.

one for the rpi, the small one connected to a 5v phone charger. I don't know if it will work.
How is a Usb Y cable designed? - Super User

I am running a SAMBA SMB NAS, but as I don't want my hdd or pi running all the time, I want to put them to sleep and wake em up via local network. Is there any way to do so? My Router is connected to everything and runs all the time, so I can communicate to anydevice at anytime via phone/laptop/pc

RPI has no sleep feature. RPI also doesnt support WOL, so you will need a pony device (like a ESP8266 and a relay). 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

There's no wake / sleep function in rpi. The device is suppose to be on all the time.

It consume very little energy, lower than a light bulb, so why bother turning it off.

That's why it is great for NAS application.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Can I ask why? If theres no Activity, the Drives will automatically sleep. Your Pi in its idle state should consume less than 3W.

With that said, while the hardware is there for WoL support, the Pi doesn't actually support it. The Pi is designed to either be On or Off.

There is an android app called raspcontroller. It not only gives you power options but SSH etc. However I don't remember a sleep option specifically

I guess you will have to create a custom script, and then trigger it with SSH.

5 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

There's no wake / sleep function in rpi. The device is suppose to be on all the time.

It consume very little energy, lower than a light bulb, so why bother turning it off.

That's why it is great for NAS application.

5 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

Can I ask why? If theres no Activity, the Drives will automatically sleep. Your Pi in its idle state should consume less than 3W.

With that said, while the hardware is there for WoL support, the Pi doesn't actually support it. The Pi is designed to either be On or Off.

Because I have this 2TB External HDD from Segate attached to it 12/7. Thats why I was asking, how much power does that consume while Idle?

Also, I've had it for like 2 years now, never died on me. I used to keep it permanently plugged in my pc before making the nas, I'd hibernate my pc while idle for mins.

My biggest issue is that I have 2 external hhds, 1TB and the 2TB one, and the Pi can't power both. HDDs makes beeping sounds if I plug both and doesnt show up on the os. Both seperately are fine.

11 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

Because I have this 2TB External HDD from Segate attached to it 12/7. Thats why I was asking, how much power does that consume while Idle?

Also, I've had it for like 2 years now, never died on me. I used to keep it permanently plugged in my pc before making the nas, I'd hibernate my pc while idle for mins.

I have a OrangePi Zero based server that is powering 3 external USB 2.5 HDDs. Each 2.5" disk consumes around 0.3-0.7amps that is why I am powering HDDs separately from the orange pi (by cutting off power vcc and gnd from sbc and powering it from another buck boost converter).

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

44 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

Thats why I was asking, how much power does that consume while Idle?

Typical HDD would consume 10w on load, around 5-6w when idle / spin down.

With 2 hdd you would cost you around 10w on idle.

I suggest getting a dual plug sata  if you can't run both hdd at the same time.

one for the rpi, the small one connected to a 5v phone charger. I don't know if it will work.
How is a Usb Y cable designed? - Super User

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

• 2 months later...
On 3/4/2021 at 12:42 PM, Nayr438 said:

Nayr438, the question is relevant if the PI/disk is powered by battery.