Side mounted radiator

frozensun

Hey guys.My H100i platinum is installed on the top of the case and because of the computer table I wasn't able to look at the effects of the corsair fans.

So I thought why not install them at a side if it's possible.

My case is TT View 91 TG RGB.

Will I have cooling issues if installed sideways?

There are 3 front 140mm fans.

I don't know I looked at the manual of the case there is possibility to install them sideways but I think behind motherboard l,which I dont want to.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

This is the possible positions in your case:

pic14.jpg

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

If by sideways you mean like on the side panel - I have done this in my CoolerMaster Haf XM just cause, and it puts the radiator below the block/tubes so would cause bubbles of air to trap in the block - just make sure its mounted higher than the CPU block imho.  If its available to do in your case, as noted above

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

50 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

If by sideways you mean like on the side panel - I have done this in my CoolerMaster Haf XM just cause, and it puts the radiator below the block/tubes so would cause bubbles of air to trap in the block - just make sure its mounted higher than the CPU block imho.  If its available to do in your case, as noted above

Hmm it would be in the same line as the pump,around same line maybe like 2-3 cm top/bottom from horizonal linr drawed from pump to radiator.

So that would be a bad idea?

Radiator must be on top?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

3 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Hmm it would be in the same line as the pump,around same line maybe like 2-3 cm top/bottom from horizonal linr drawed from pump to radiator.

So that would be a bad idea?

Radiator must be on top?

Well

Must be is such a harsh word imho.  

Ive only had 1 time I mounted a radiator at the lowest point and had issues with air bubbles in the block.  The other times Ive done it Ive not had issues.  

It comes highly recommended and the reasons why are backed with numbers and science

If you do get air in the block you will likely hear a grinding noise, it will pass, rinse repeat which puts excess wear and tear on it.  Maybe not.

Im of the mind to try things out myself before following the herd - example this morning (look at those super sweet PSU's with a FX 8350, Radeon VII and HD 7850 - most people here would have a heart attack...me?  Its fine lol)

1975466378_PSUcultists.PNG

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

8 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Well

Must be is such a harsh word imho.  

Ive only had 1 time I mounted a radiator at the lowest point and had issues with air bubbles in the block.  The other times Ive done it Ive not had issues.  

It comes highly recommended and the reasons why are backed with numbers and science

If you do get air in the block you will likely hear a grinding noise, it will pass, rinse repeat which puts excess wear and tear on it.  Maybe not.

Im of the mind to try things out myself before following the herd - example this morning (look at those super sweet PSU's with a FX 8350, Radeon VII and HD 7850 - most people here would have a heart attack...me?  Its fine lol)

1975466378_PSUcultists.PNG

My friend; I've seen so many rigs with rad mounted at the side...

But fi it's really like you told me then I wouldn't risk it...

The problem is that the side panel is in equal line with MoBo  installation panel so I don't see the way how the radiator can be in higher line then the pump...it's impossible.

Look at the pic below...even 360 mm radiator is in the line with pump.

rad.jpg

10 minutes ago, frozensun said:

The problem is that the side panel is in equal line with MoBo  installation panel so I don't see the way how the radiator can be in higher line then the pump...it's impossible.

Look at the pic below...even 360 mm radiator is in the line with pump.

rad.jpg

The top mounted radiator is the highest point for the GPU loop 

The side mounted radiator hoses and top of radiator are the highest point for the CPU loop

Optimally for air bubble issues you just dont want the top of the loop to be the block

12 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

The top mounted radiator is the highest point for the GPU loop 

The side mounted radiator hoses and top of radiator are the highest point for the CPU loop

Optimally for air bubble issues you just dont want the top of the loop to be the block

my friend I don't understand you at all.

Should I install it at side view or not?

Do you think all the guys who have side mounted rad have bubbles issues?

I've seen so many installations like that,and even at the picture above.

1 minute ago, frozensun said:

my friend I don't understand you at all.

Should I install it at side view or not?

Do you think all the guys who have side mounted rad have bubbles issues?

I've seen so many installations like that,and even at the picture above.

AHA!  I now understand - you mean on the side intake FOR a radiator but is inside the case (I didnt understand the case layout vs question till just now sorry)

Yes install away, there is no issue to worry about

1 minute ago, Tristerin said:

AHA!  I now understand - you mean on the side intake FOR a radiator but is inside the case (I didnt understand the case layout vs question till just now sorry)

Yes install away, there is no issue to worry about

I meant,look at the picture where radiator is,there I would like to install...so any issues with that?

Hmmm this is strange..I don't see holes for screws so I can mount radiator to this side...

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

its fine as long as you use the upper two slots.

what upper 2 slots,bro?

Just now, frozensun said:

what upper 2 slots,bro?

H100i is a 240 mm radiator right, the side has space for a 360 mm. So you could either use the upper 2 slots, or the lower 2 slots. You should use the upper two slots to maintain a portion of the radiator above the pump.

On closer inspection of the schematic, I realise these mounts are for 140 mm fans/radiators, which would make it not possible for 120mm mounts unless they have closer rails.

Just now, For Science! said:

On closer inspection of the schematic, I realise these mounts are for 140 mm fans/radiators, which would make it not possible for 120mm mounts unless they have closer rails.

Hmmm,where did you found out that?

it is possible..there are holes quite wide from eachother.

2 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Hmmm,where did you found out that?

it is possible..there are holes quite wide from eachother.

Nevermind, I just got confused about something, but yes, my point still stands about using the upper 2 slots (instead of the lower 2).

2 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Nevermind, I just got confused about something, but yes, my point still stands about using the upper 2 slots (instead of the lower 2).

really don't understand what upper 2 slots...can you somehow draw on the picture of the case (side panel)?

4 minutes ago, frozensun said:

really don't understand what upper 2 slots...can you somehow draw on the picture of the case (side panel)?

Green is upper 2 slot, pink is lower 2 slots. This is a 420 radiator, but the same concept applies for a 480 mm.

Untitled.png.bb68ac1b0b9a9481db714a9c9faa77cc.png

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

Green is upper 2 slot, pink is lower 2 slots. This is a 420 radiator, but the same concept applies for a 480 mm.

Untitled.png.bb68ac1b0b9a9481db714a9c9faa77cc.png

oh okay..thank you....but as I stated I don't see holes for screws where should I mount rad to the case...I think I'll need to ask TT about this type of installation.

13 minutes ago, frozensun said:

oh okay..thank you....but as I stated I don't see holes for screws where should I mount rad to the case...I think I'll need to ask TT about this type of installation.

CA-1I9-00F1WN-00%20_49738ed49f24475aaa151ca98731d211.jpg

Somehow I think it isn't possible to do a side mount of the radiator, it looks like a pretty solid panel, so I guess its not a good idea.

I asked at TT forums there are brackets for side radiator installation.

Only what is left for me to ask is about these bubbles.

Will I have any heating issues or problem with malfunctioning of pump when radiator is installed at a side?

bracket.png

On 3/4/2021 at 3:14 PM, For Science! said:

CA-1I9-00F1WN-00%20_49738ed49f24475aaa151ca98731d211.jpg

Somehow I think it isn't possible to do a side mount of the radiator, it looks like a pretty solid panel, so I guess its not a good idea.

looks like it is possible but I'm not sure if I'll get worse cooling performance when the radiator is installed sideways.

2 hours ago, frozensun said:

I asked at TT forums there are brackets for side radiator installation.

Only what is left for me to ask is about these bubbles.

Will I have any heating issues or problem with malfunctioning of pump when radiator is installed at a side?

bracket.png

It will likely be a little bit worse.