Server - Linus Tech Tips

Ossi3367

Where is this website hosted or are they self hosting it?

Forums are hosted in datacenter located somewhere in Canada. LMG doesn't host external services from their office. IIRC even Minecraft was moved to external location.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Forums are hosted in datacenter located somewhere in Canada. LMG doesn't host external services from their office. IIRC even Minecraft was moved to external location.

imagine paying the entire building electricity bill with that much machine

15 minutes ago, ElectroBrocoli said:

? what ?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

3 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

? what ?

imagine paying the electricity bill of LMG's building if they have this forums and minecraft server there

Just now, ElectroBrocoli said:

imagine paying the electricity bill of LMG's building if they have this forums and minecraft server there

You do know they have other servers at the office? plus the amount of PCs they have as well. Having an additional 2 servers wont make a difference.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 minute ago, Sir Asvald said:

You do know they have other servers at the office? plus the amount of PCs they have as well. Having an additional 2 servers wont make a difference.

well if they had the buildings in my country that would make a significant different so freakin much

29 minutes ago, ElectroBrocoli said:

the forum doesn't have many users at once, it could probably be hosted on a pretty low spec machine. just needs loads of storage. 

She/Her

Just now, Ashley xD said:

the forum doesn't have many users at once, it could probably be hosted on a pretty low spec machine. just needs loads of storage. 

Spoiler

3e62bdd3838bec60e64c5aa6ed117112.png

9 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

Hide contents

3e62bdd3838bec60e64c5aa6ed117112.png

that's not actually that many, and that's a record.

She/Her

1 hour ago, ElectroBrocoli said:

well if they had the buildings in my country that would make a significant different so freakin much

Adding couple more dedicated servers to their server room wouldn't make significant impact. Not even for networking since they are on fiber. The reason is security and maintenance.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Yeah they're just hosted on the forum software's hosting platform. They likely just pay a monthly fee and the forum hosting and maintenance is taken care of. No reason for a media company to be hosting a forum on site. 

12 hours ago, danomicar said:

Yeah they're just hosted on the forum software's hosting platform. They likely just pay a monthly fee and the forum hosting and maintenance is taken care of. No reason for a media company to be hosting a forum on site. 

No... AFAIK this is incorrect. I don't know where or which provider forums are on, but AFAIK IPS doesn't provide platform, just software suite to be installed.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv