Urgently need help!!!

I have a WD Passport hard drive I need to be able to use to back up my secondary computer but my computer wont recognize it and just tells me "Device Descriptor Request Failed" and says that I already have the recommended drivers for the device. I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of. If someone would be so kind as to help me out if possible I'd love you FOREVER!!!!! Feel free to shoot me a message for my discord. I'm so desperate to get this to work!!

Screenshot 2021-03-03 231720.png

Have you tried plugging it into the front or rear USB port?  What about going old school and using the USB 2 ports?  The computer sees USB port 1 as a totally different device than USB port 2, and sometimes when things go a little crazy it treats them like they are radically different things.

Also, remove any USB extensions from the chain (I mean extensions like a 3 foot extension, not extensions like programming)

Does it work on a different computer?  If it works elsewhere than we are in a good spot to figure out why your computer is different.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

The USB is messing up.  Could be the external device.  A usb hard drive is a USB to sata adaptor with a hard drive plugged into it.  There may be something wrong with the usb->sata bit.  Or the cable, or one of the ports.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Its a common problem those passport drives. If it's an older passport drive that actually uses a standard sata connection you could open it and just plug it in to the computer. Newer ones uses a proprietary connector though.

I had this problem once with a similar newer WD external USB Drive. I tried everything I could think of, but the only thing that actually worked was soldering a sata connector to the drive. It a nightmare to do without soldering experience though.

EDIT: And after that, it was a nightmare of searching the web for decryption tools...