Mobo doesn't automatically detect boot drive changes, makes me manually choose priority everytime there is a change

MOBO: MSI X99 Gaming 7 S, click bios 5

I have two drives I use for work. one is boot drive  and one is storage. I also have a third drive purely for gaming which also has windows installed on it. I use a sata power switcher to disconnect/disable the first two drives when I want to boot into the third. But every time I do this, or disable my game boot drive and go back to using the primary work drive, my bios won't boot into it. it just goes straight to bios and I have to go to UEFI Boot Priority, enable it, and choose that drive. And I have to do the same thing also when I go to the other drive. every time. there has to be a better way right? I think normally bios is supposed to just boot whatever hard drive it automatically detects contains a windows installation right? and it has nothing to do with the switcher because the same thing would happen if I unplug one boot drive from sata cable and plug in the others (they all have their own ports im not using the same ones). it the bios just doesnt automatically detect changes.

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB