Zephyrus duo 15 AMD 5900hx CPU 3080GPU Normal Temperatures?

Hi,

I recently purchased the Zephyrus duo 15 AMD 5900hx and this machine runs hot, to the point where the keyboard on the laptop becomes toasty and quite uncomfortable to use especially in gaming. I am not entirely sure what the temperatures of gaming laptops are today but what is norm...

Asus Armoury Crate reported the following temps:  Set to Performance.

~idling around 51+- Celsius  (Doing nothing but letting laptop sit on table)

~Launching Dota 2.  The CPU sky rockets to 94 and then settles around 88-93 while demoing a hero in Dota 2. And in other games also rests around the same CPU temps.

~Googling and reading emails or watching videos causes the CPU to run around 70 - 80C

The GPU actually keeps below 80C while gaming and on idle much lower around 45- 50C]

Can anyone please give me some advice or info if this is normal and if it is safe to use... I have to make a decision to keep or refund this laptop

The norm for laptops in general for the last year or so has been run then at whatever huge temp they get to and let them throttle down to 95°c.  These days a “cool” laptop is one that can actually hit its max spec before it throttles.  It sux.  😕 As far as keeping or tossing goes the statement that “they’re all like that” actually has some merit.  As far as actual discomfort from heat goes that’s a bit unusual. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The norm for laptops in general for the last year or so has been run then at whatever huge temp they get to and let them throttle down to 95°c.  These days a “cool” laptop is one that can actually hit its max spec before it throttles.  It sux.  😕 As far as keeping or tossing goes the statement that “they’re all like that” actually has some merit.  As far as actual discomfort from heat goes that’s a bit unusual. 

It is surprising cause you do not really see much reviewers talk about how hot it runs. I mean only launching dota 2 will instantly take the CPU temp to 88 - 94C and then keep that temp all throughout the game , and trust me the keyboard even with it being moved forward due to the Extra display on the Zephyrus Duo... it gets toasty ,your fingers will start sweating. Honestly is it only cause the laptop is running a AMD CPU, does Intel CPUs in laptops run cooler?

51 minutes ago, Bafoka said:

It is surprising cause you do not really see much reviewers talk about how hot it runs. I mean only launching dota 2 will instantly take the CPU temp to 88 - 94C and then keep that temp all throughout the game , and trust me the keyboard even with it being moved forward due to the Extra display on the Zephyrus Duo... it gets toasty ,your fingers will start sweating. Honestly is it only cause the laptop is running a AMD CPU, does Intel CPUs in laptops run cooler?

No.  Warmer generally I understand.  So much so that AMD machines are noted for giving more cooling priority to the gpu.  The result is the same of course.  Less of one more of the other means the raw bits are the same.  My suspicion is the lions share of the heat from your machine is gpu based not cpu based. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.