Ok so how do I make my stuff showing up when switching input?

Mark Kaine

Honestly that's not what I expected - and I hope this isn't some second "desktop" thing or whatever, but I don't get how to make things like steam etc, windows that *are* already open to show up when I switch between inputs - from dp to hdmi in this case... 

it's really weird it shows me the taskbar with the open app icons on the 'new monitor' or whatever (it's really just a different input) but I can't open them, nothing happens when I click on them... 

How do i make my stuff show up on the hdmi input? 

ps: if I'm on the hdmi input and right click for display settings, it opens, but it also doesn't show up - nothing actually shows up, if this isn't a bug what's the point lol, shouldn't it just display anything like it does on the dp input? 

it doesn't even show 'action center'... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I'm not sure what you mean? Can you not display windows on your second monitor? Like any windows? I have two monitors and I can have anything I want on my second monitor. I literally just drag the windows to that side. Sometimes it will open on my main monitor and I have to manually drag it to my secondary.

GPU: RTX 2080 Super                                                                             Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB

CPU: i7-9700K                                                                                       MouseLogitech G PRO Wireless
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengance PRO                                                         Headset: Corsair HS70 PRO Wireless

PSU: CX650F                                                                                         MousepadCorsair MM500 Extended 3XL
MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A                                                                     ControllerDualSense 5

Case: Lian Li Lancool II                                                                          CameraCanon EOS M50

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5                                                                      CoolingCorsair H100i Platinum

The white Rabbit                                                                                           MicrophoneTrust GXT 252+

20 minutes ago, MorbidAngel said:

I'm not sure what you mean?

that is because the behavior makes no sense, I explained it properly however (I think) 

the problem is when I switch inputs on my monitor from dp to hdmi, WINDOWS™ thinks this is a second monitor (as does NVIDIA™) apparently, but there is no second monitor, just an additional cable. 

20 minutes ago, MorbidAngel said:

I have two monitors

that's nice, but I only have one monitor, the problem seems to be I have more than *one* cable... so how do I make windows always show the 'main' monitor when switching *inputs*? 

I mean this maybe sounds silly but it really shouldn't be a problem, it works with *different* devices, the only reason it doesn't work on the pc seems to be that it has WINDOWS™ installed, which for some reason thinks a second cable means automatically a second monitor? 

I really hope there's an option to always show just the main monitor (or rather *desktop*) - especially when you only have *one* monitor lol. 🤔

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

29 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

that is because the behavior makes no sense, I explained it properly however (I think) 

the problem is when I switch inputs on my monitor from dp to hdmi, WINDOWS™ thinks this is a second monitor (as does NVIDIA™) apparently, but there is no second monitor, just an additional cable. 

that's nice, but I only have one monitor, the problem seems to be I have more than *one* cable... so how do I make windows always show the 'main' monitor when switching *inputs*? 

I mean this maybe sounds silly but it really shouldn't be a problem, it works with *different* devices, the only reason it doesn't work on the pc seems to be that it has WINDOWS™ installed, which for some reason thinks a second cable means automatically a second monitor? 

I really hope there's an option to always show just the main monitor (or rather *desktop*) - especially when you only have *one* monitor lol. 🤔

I thought you had two monitors. Anyways, if Windows thinks you are using two monitors (apparently) does it work if you go into the settings and change it so that it is set to "mirror displays" that way it should display the same things on "both" monitors (which is in fact only the same monitor lol).

But why are you using two cables for the same monitor?

GPU: RTX 2080 Super                                                                             Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB

CPU: i7-9700K                                                                                       MouseLogitech G PRO Wireless
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengance PRO                                                         Headset: Corsair HS70 PRO Wireless

PSU: CX650F                                                                                         MousepadCorsair MM500 Extended 3XL
MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A                                                                     ControllerDualSense 5

Case: Lian Li Lancool II                                                                          CameraCanon EOS M50

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5                                                                      CoolingCorsair H100i Platinum

The white Rabbit                                                                                           MicrophoneTrust GXT 252+

22 minutes ago, MorbidAngel said:

does it work if you go into the settings and change it so that it is set to "mirror displays" that way it should display the same things on "both" monitors (which is in fact only the same monitor lol).

yes, that works, but not ideal, in fact it's very complicated, for example Nvidia settings tells me now I should make the "second monitor" the primary display if I want to enable adaptive sync... which I obviously can't do because I don't see the option - regardless if I set it to mirror or if I set it to only show the second monitor *in windows* as Nvidia control panel doesn't seem to have the option (I can turn off primary display, but then it'll *still* say I need to make the monitor primary in order to enable gsync / adaptive sync) 

It's also possible adaptive sync just doesn't work over hdmi - but it actually should according to the monitor's manual... so it really is complicated... 

27 minutes ago, MorbidAngel said:

But why are you using two cables for the same monitor?

because there are obviously differences and I wanted to try it out while being able to quickly switch... 

For example it's supposed to do 144hz over hdmi, but *not* over display port (for some reason) but now it looks that doesn't even work, as soon I switch to 144hz over hdmi the monitor just flicker on and off - shouldnt do that but it does, maybe with a different hdmi cable... 

But yeah, definitely not what I expected - there needs to be an option to turn off any and all secondary displays and make the actually selected *input* the main display... but doesn't look like that's even an option. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Ok, I think part of the problem is there seems to be a bug - it showed my 'gsync' options for the 'hdmi connected monitor' even after several restarts. 

now I turned 'adaptive sync' off then on again in the monitor's settings and nvcp doesn't show me gsync options anymore - so I'm guessing the monitor doesn't actually support 'adaptive sync' over hdmi? 

I could have sworn I read it does, but that might be wrong after all. 

Though I can't really find any reliable info about that either right now. 🤔

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

13 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Ok, I think part of the problem is there seems to be a bug - it showed my 'gsync' options for the 'hdmi connected monitor' even after several restarts. 

now I turned 'adaptive sync' off then on again in the monitor's settings and nvcp doesn't show me gsync options anymore - so I'm guessing the monitor doesn't actually support 'adaptive sync' over hdmi? 

I could have sworn I read it does, but that might be wrong after all. 

Though I can't really find any reliable info about that either right now. 🤔

Yeah I'm sorry I have no idea how to solve this. I've never tried this myself either so I'm completely clueless haha