Asking for a friend: Lenovo Laptops

Meowster
Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,

We purchased 10 Thinkpad P53S models in mid 2020 and the build quality on them is outstanding.

Pretty much any of the Thinkpad series are going to be excellent - but they're quite expensive. Honestly when it comes to laptops, you generally get what you pay for.

I've never used one of the Thin and Light Lenovos though. The P53 series are very light and compact for that kind of laptop, but they're definitely not part of the Thin and Light category.

Hi everyone, I am Meowster's friend. He let me borrow his account for me to post my question. Do you guys recommend Lenovo laptops? I'm currently looking for a thin and lightweight laptop and Lenovo keeps popping up. If any of you have one, what does it feel like? Is it fast and how's the build quality on them? I currently own an Asus chromebook and I wanted to switch back to windows for a while now. I can't really live with a chromebook, I only got one as I needed a temporary computer.

Thanks

Make sure to quote me @Meowster  so that I see your reply

I love my job, being a sysadmin. It's very fun 

I used a lenovo laptop for 4 years and main gripes would be;

• Whitelisted BIOS, you cannot upgrade the expansion cards without a BIOS mod.
  • Write protected BIOS, you cannot flash a modified bios without a programmer.
  • Shitty plastic quality, if the device you are getting is a high TDP one and/or will require annual cleaning, expect your plastic chassis to be brittle in one or two years.

What I liked about my G510;

• Super easy to maintain.
  • Easy upgradeability.
  • Nice keyboard.

Not every model is good, you should ask about a specific model instead of brand.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

You want Thinkpad series.  We use them exclusively and have very little issues with them.  We have around 2,000 of them and aside from a fan issue here or there, they tend to be pretty good machines.  Had a lady drive over her laptop years ago and was still able to power it up.  The screen was cracked but the machine worked if you plugged in an external monitor.

Main Computer: CPU - Ryzen 5 5900x Cooler - NZXT Kraken x53  RAM - 32GB Corsairsrair Vengeance Pro GPU - Zotac RTX 3070 Case - Lian Li LanCool II RGB (White) Storage - 1TB Inland Premium M.2 SSD and 2x WD 2TB Black.

Backup Computer: CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x Cooler - CoolerMaster ML240 V2 RAM - 32GB G.Skill RipJaws GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE Case - Cougar QBX Storage - 500GB WD Black M.2 SSD 

We purchased 10 Thinkpad P53S models in mid 2020 and the build quality on them is outstanding.

Pretty much any of the Thinkpad series are going to be excellent - but they're quite expensive. Honestly when it comes to laptops, you generally get what you pay for.

I've never used one of the Thin and Light Lenovos though. The P53 series are very light and compact for that kind of laptop, but they're definitely not part of the Thin and Light category.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

37 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Ah okay. I don't actually need such a powerful laptop like then one mentioned here. However. I will be sure to take a browse through the ThinkPad models

Make sure to quote me @Meowster  so that I see your reply

I love my job, being a sysadmin. It's very fun