Best parts for my computing purposes?

gp92

Hello guys,

as of this year, I finally finished my living in tiny dorms and began to live in my first apartment. Thus I could afford, should I say, a bulkier machines than laptops (currently I am using Macbook Pro 15 Retina), but since it has been SO long last I assembled a computers, so I need you guys' help.

My budget is around ~$1400, excluding the case, monitor, peripherals and cooling solutions. I have set aside a quite sizable sum for water-cooling solution as well. Also I have an Apple cinema display monitor (27" running at 2560p), but I am looking into upgrading it to a smaller 4k monitor once those products appear in the market at reasonable prices.

My computing needs break down as follows:

33% general web-browsing, video-watching, typesetting

33% gaming (the only games I play are Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2)

34% mathematical computation (NOT adding, subtracting, or any of those tasks more suitable for a table calculator; I use Mathematica and, less often, R and Matlab. My current machine (macbook pro) can deal with about 50% of my needs in a reasonable span of time, but at times the computation becomes too demanding for my machine.)

My personal goal is to build a machine that can run Diablo 3 at 2560x1440 at the highest options (preferably at FPS higher than 60). I am willing to, if that results in a greater bang-per-buck, go over budget by about $200.

Thanks in advance guys!

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($329.98 @ OutletPC) 

CPU Cooler:  Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($98.99 @ Best Buy) 

Motherboard:  ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($119.99 @ Micro Center) 

Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($84.99 @ Amazon) 

Video Card:  XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card  ($469.99 @ Amazon) 

Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($97.26 @ OutletPC) 

Total: $1574.15

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-24 11:39 EDT-0400)

Replace CPU with i5 to get into budget, if you want to.

2560p is not a thing  :P

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($329.98 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler:  Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($98.99 @ Best Buy) 
Motherboard:  ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($119.99 @ Micro Center) 
Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($84.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card:  XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card  ($469.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($97.26 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1574.15
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-24 11:39 EDT-0400)
Replace CPU with i5 to get into budget, if you want to.

2560p is not a thing  :P

Thanks ZetZet, this was quick. As I mentioned, I don't need to include anything for cooling solution as well as a case, so I guess it is in budget, almost.

By 2560p I meant 2560X1440, :)

Thanks

Thanks ZetZet, this was quick. As I mentioned, I don't need to include anything for cooling solution, so I guess it is in budget, almost.

By 2560p I meant 2560X1440, :)

Thanks

Oh right, I forgot while choosing the parts, heh. 

If you plan to watercool the video card get a reference one too.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-100362sr

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Oh right, I forgot while choosing the parts, heh. 

If you plan to watercool the video card get a reference one too.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-100362sr

Thank you, I will keep that in mind.

Also, what do you think of opting for AMD 8-core cpu as opposed to intel's i7 processors? Are they any better at heavily multi-core application such as symbolic computation?

Also, what do you think of opting for AMD 8-core cpu as opposed to intel's i7 processors? Are they any better at heavily multi-core application such as symbolic computation?

they start off slower, but when you load all the threads up, they dont slow down as much as the i7 would, but I'm not sure if it's any faster than the i7.

Best AMD processor barely matches older i7's, not haswell, they also consume more power. And I'm not sure they calculate any faster.

Spoiler

They dont consume that much more power. however I do believe in Amds multicore. Ive noticed the i7's seen to slow up more when multithreaded. But if you macbook can handle it then eith of the high ends wont break a sweat.

Thanks Guys! Fullmetal

You must NEVER go over 20% fan speed. ~ "Why's that?"~ Why do airport personnel wear hearing protection?

They dont consume that much more power. however I do believe in Amds multicore. Ive noticed the i7's seen to slow up more when multithreaded. But if you macbook can handle it then eith of the high ends wont break a sweat.

Thanks Dragon1212,

I do believe that, as I mentioned, 50% of calculations that my Mac can currently handle won't be an issue for the new system, whether it uses i7 or AMD's 8-cores, but the remaining 50% is what worries me... In many cases my mac will spit out some answer after, oh i don't know, 10, 15 minutes of hard-core computing, but in some instances it just can't handle, in which case I need to use the computer in my lab which has 12 physical cores... (6x2) It did it in a snap. 

Then id tell you the Amd will have better multicore. The intels power is few tough burly guys. Amds is a bunch of small guys that work smarter as a team.

Thanks Guys! Fullmetal

You must NEVER go over 20% fan speed. ~ "Why's that?"~ Why do airport personnel wear hearing protection?

What case do you have? Why watercool?

What kind of dollars are you using?

Thanks Dragon1212,

I do believe that, as I mentioned, 50% of calculations that my Mac can currently handle won't be an issue for the new system, whether it uses i7 or AMD's 8-cores, but the remaining 50% is what worries me... In many cases my mac will spit out some answer after, oh i don't know, 10, 15 minutes of hard-core computing, but in some instances it just can't handle, in which case I need to use the computer in my lab which has 12 physical cores... (6x2) It did it in a snap. 

What are the specs of your current system and the systems at the lab? Elaborate on the types of calculations you're doing. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.