CPU OC'd on its own

Hey all,

For the last few days my PC has been crashing when doing a render in Blender using my CPU. I've been getting a Clock_Watchdog_Timeout Blue Screen of Death.

Today I believe I resolved the issue. HW monitor was showing my CPU was at 4.8GHz which is way out of spec for an Intel Core i7-4790k. I never set my OC to this. Clearing CMOS didn't fix it, but using the overclock wizard in the BIOS did.

Below are my specs from what I can remember: 

Motherboard: Asus Maximus Formula VII

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K

Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2400MHz 16GB

PSU: Corsair AX1200i

Has anyone seen this sort of thing happen?

3 minutes ago, theNullinator said:

Hey all,

For the last few days my PC has been crashing when doing a render in Blender using my CPU. I've been getting a Clock_Watchdog_Timeout Blue Screen of Death.

Today I believe I resolved the issue. HW monitor was showing my CPU was at 4.8GHz which is way out of spec for an Intel Core i7-4790k. I never set my OC to this. Clearing CMOS didn't fix it, but using the overclock wizard in the BIOS did.

Only thing I can think of is someone swapped their old CPU for the new one before selling it to you.

3 minutes ago, c00face said:

Only thing I can think of is someone swapped their old CPU for the new one before selling it to you.

The 4790K is basically as good as it got for LGA1150 - while there was the 5775C, it wasn't as great.

8 minutes ago, theNullinator said:

Hey all,

Nope - never.

Did you run Ai Suite 3 or whatever it's called for that motherboard?

elephants

11 minutes ago, theNullinator said:

I wouldnt worry about it. There is a good chance that it is a feature that comes pre enabled on that board, considering its a high end board and motherboard manufacturers were big on automatic overclocking back then.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

5 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

The 4790K is basically as good as it got for LGA1150 - while there was the 5775C, it wasn't as great.

Nope - never.

Did you run Ai Suite 3 or whatever it's called for that motherboard?

Haven't done that. I've had this PC for several years and haven't seen it ever do this. The only thing I can imagine is malware. The only issue I've ever noticed on this motherboard is that on rare occasions it would detect IDE drives when none are present.

Just now, theNullinator said:

Haven't done that. I've had this PC for several years and haven't seen it ever do this. The only thing I can imagine is malware. The only issue I've ever noticed on this motherboard is that on rare occasions it would detect IDE drives when none are present.

Would it detect them or show a popup like "PCIe to IDE controller"?

elephants

4 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Would it detect them or show a popup like "PCIe to IDE controller"?

Nah. Just got an error code on the motherboard's diagnostic display. Can't remember the code now, but the manual said something along the lines of "IDE detect." I re-seated the HDDs and SSDs. That seemed to fix it.

As for the CPU issue, it had me really worried. Can't afford a new PC at the moment lol. I figured I either had bad caps on the MB or a dying CPU. I ran stress tests after the fix and it hasn't crashed yet. Before the fix it crashed not even a second into the stress tests lol.