cheap sort of gaming rig

Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,
1 hour ago, ElectroBrocoli said:

a 4770k ? okay i guess ? maybe you can chose a motherboard for me since i'm no good at chosing the suiting chipset

Old stuff like that isn’t worth buying in pieces.  You get a whole rig.  It was just an example.  It would depend a lot on what is available.  Old intel will have worse ipc than newer stuff and therefore require higher clocks to make up the difference.  I mostly just gave an example of a cpu with high clocks.  There’s a ton of usable options.  If you need to have new stuff a 3000g could make sense.  A 2400x is faster though to give you an idea of what you are dealing with. There are also a bunch of older GPUs that could equal the performance of the vega7 apu in the 3000g a 960 would do it for example.  It depends a lot on what the market is like.  A 3000g could work but it’s going to need to clock somewhat unusually well.  To get something with the necessary grunt at stock speeds there are some 6/6 intel CPUs that could work.  I’m almost thinking 4/4 for this application. The thing is only one of your applications needs any power at all, which is Minecraft and it just needs single thread.  That’s why a 2 core chip like a 3000g could work.  The problem with the 3000g is it’s single thread isn’t that hot to begin with. 

Budget (including currency): 350$

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: mostly minecraft and python programming

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): existing parts are just keyboards, mouse and display from my current rig which is and super old rig from 2010

now i wanna know if i can chose athlon 3000g as my processor and stuff like that, i don't think minecraft need high end graphics since 30fps for me is good anyway, and i want to buy this in around Q2 or Q3 of this year

That might actually be possible, though the 3000g wouldn’t be my first choice.  The thing about mine rat is it’s very traditionally written, and while there are some mods that benefit from more cores the the game itself is basically single thread. The issue with the 3000g is it’s not only short on cores but the cores aren’t super fast.  It may say 3000g but it’s really an athalon. Could still do well if you manage to overclock it though.  It’s gonna want 4.0ghz or darn near.  The advantage it has is it’s actually got a nearly usable apu so graphics are taken care of if you don’t go too crazy.  At that budget I would look at a used 4core machine.  Something with a 1030 in it. A 4770k or a 4790 machine would do it.  They’re around. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

That might actually be possible, though the 3000g wouldn’t be my first choice.  The thing about mine rat is it’s very traditionally written, and while there are some mods that benefit from more cores the the game itself is basically single thread. The issue with the 3000g is it’s not only short on cores but the cores aren’t super fast.  It may say 3000g but it’s really an athalon. Could still do well if you manage to overclock it though.  It’s gonna want 4.0ghz or darn near.  The advantage it has is it’s actually got a nearly usable apu so graphics are taken care of if you don’t go too crazy.  At that budget I would look at a used 4core machine.  Something with a 1030 in it. A 4770k or a 4790 machine would do it.  They’re around. 

a 4770k ? okay i guess ? maybe you can chose a motherboard for me since i'm no good at chosing the suiting chipset

Old stuff like that isn’t worth buying in pieces.  You get a whole rig.  It was just an example.  It would depend a lot on what is available.  Old intel will have worse ipc than newer stuff and therefore require higher clocks to make up the difference.  I mostly just gave an example of a cpu with high clocks.  There’s a ton of usable options.  If you need to have new stuff a 3000g could make sense.  A 2400x is faster though to give you an idea of what you are dealing with. There are also a bunch of older GPUs that could equal the performance of the vega7 apu in the 3000g a 960 would do it for example.  It depends a lot on what the market is like.  A 3000g could work but it’s going to need to clock somewhat unusually well.  To get something with the necessary grunt at stock speeds there are some 6/6 intel CPUs that could work.  I’m almost thinking 4/4 for this application. The thing is only one of your applications needs any power at all, which is Minecraft and it just needs single thread.  That’s why a 2 core chip like a 3000g could work.  The problem with the 3000g is it’s single thread isn’t that hot to begin with. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

okay so my solution is going with 3000g and have some power issue or go with old intel CPUs, well for old hardware i don't mind it to much other than its rarity, but i guess i'll go with intel 4th gen CPU, okay time for searching parts

okay so my solution is going with 3000g and have some power issue or go with old intel CPUs, well for old hardware i don't mind it to much other than its rarity, but i guess i'll go with intel 4th gen CPU, okay time for searching parts

Wouldn't know how the pricing is with Computer Parts or level of income compared to the US in Indonesia. With PCpartpicker I can Spec out a Rig with a quad core Ryzen, 8GB Memory, and ~500GB SDD for just under ~$500. But that is US Prices.

3 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Wouldn't know how the pricing is with Computer Parts or level of income compared to the US in Indonesia. With PCpartpicker I can Spec out a Rig with a quad core Ryzen, 8GB Memory, and ~500GB SDD for just under ~$500. But that is US Prices.

500$ with us prices means that around 550$ if i would buy it with taxes and stuff, but thanks for the spec which is ryzen 3 with 8gb of ram and i guess i don't need ssd since i have some hard disk laying around, i don't mind speed so much

6 hours ago, whm1974 said:

4th gen is merely the earliest that can be done.  The key is high speed single thread.  You have an advantage in this market because your requirements are below the break point for general gaming. Later is also possible.  A 3000g could even be done but you’ll need to get a better than average chip and OC it.  A 4770k would also need an OC.  A 4770k can generally OC to 4.3 or so, though they can sometimes go higher.  The older the chip generally to worse ipc so the more single thread speed would be needed.  Getting a 3000g and simply returning the CPUs that can’t make the OC is one option.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

4th gen is merely the earliest that can be done.  The key is high speed single thread.  You have an advantage in this market because your requirements are below the break point for general gaming. Later is also possible.  A 3000g could even be done but you’ll need to get a better than average chip and OC it.  A 4770k would also need an OC.  A 4770k can generally OC to 4.3 or so, though they can sometimes go higher.  The older the chip generally to worse ipc so the more single thread speed would be needed.  Getting a 3000g and simply returning the CPUs that can’t make the OC is one option.

Personally I wouldn't go below 4 cores in 2021 if I was building a new Rig. Not for regular use anyway.

On 3/1/2021 at 9:18 PM, Bombastinator said:

which means my only option now is 4770k ? okay, i'll learn to OC it, otherwise my windows will blew up like shit

13 minutes ago, ElectroBrocoli said:

which means my only option now is 4770k ? okay, i'll learn to OC it, otherwise my windows will blew up like shit

No that’s precisely what it DOESNT mean. The opposite rather anything that early or later.  The later you go the lower from top end you need to go.  Even today stuff is made that is too weak though so even with 10th gen, not everything

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

No that’s precisely what it DOESNT mean. The opposite rather anything that early or later.  The later you go the lower from top end you need to go.  Even today stuff is made that is too weak though so even with 10th gen, not everything

hmm okay then