Brothers pc will not display to a monitor, but his laptop does it without problem to the same monitor (HDMI to VGA)

Mangrovius

I built this pc 2 days ago, tested it with my own screen/cable (hdmi to hdmi) and it worked just fine. He's testing it at his home now, but he's not getting any output. The pc turns on, all fans spinning. He's using hdmi on his graphics card and VGA on his monitor. When he uses the same cable and the same monitor on his laptop, it does display. I have no idea what's wrong and I've tried everything I know. Any suggestions are VERY welcome

22 minutes ago, Mangrovius said:

I built this pc 2 days ago, tested it with my own screen/cable (hdmi to hdmi) and it worked just fine. He's testing it at his home now, but he's not getting any output. The pc turns on, all fans spinning. He's using hdmi on his graphics card and VGA on his monitor. When he uses the same cable and the same monitor on his laptop, it does display. I have no idea what's wrong and I've tried everything I know. Any suggestions are VERY welcome

What is his CPU please?

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

7 minutes ago, 1ppOverheat said:

What is his CPU please?

An AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GTX 750ti for GPU (He's using the cable in the GPU slot, made sure of it)

31 minutes ago, Mangrovius said:

I mean, you literally answered your own question.

hdmi to hdmi = works

hdmi to vga = doesnt work

i dont think there's any need for troubleshooting here.

Just now, c00face said:

I mean, you literally answered your own question.

hdmi to hdmi = works

hdmi to vga = doesnt work

i dont think there's any need for troubleshooting here.

I know you need an active adapter to make it work, because I have the same solution as well. He has one built into the cable. Furthermore, his laptop, with the same cable (so HDMI from his laptop to VGA to his screen, DOES work.

3 minutes ago, Mangrovius said:

I know you need an active adapter to make it work, because I have the same solution as well. He has one built into the cable. Furthermore, his laptop, with the same cable (so HDMI from his laptop to VGA to his screen, DOES work.

GPU isn't the same as laptop integrated graphics. Just because it worked for his laptop, doesn't mean it'll work for his PC. Get a hdmi to hdmi cable or something and test it out.

4 minutes ago, c00face said:

GPU isn't the same as laptop integrated graphics. Just because it worked for his laptop, doesn't mean it'll work for his PC. Get a hdmi to hdmi cable or something and test it out.

He tried with hdmi to hdmi on a neighbors monitor, still doesn't work on his pc and does on his laptop