AMD Driver Installation fails on Dell Inspire 5737

TheColin21

Hi,

I just got a used Dell Inspire 17R 5737 which comes with an AMD Radeon HD 8870/R9 M270X. I put an SSD in the system (although I also tried this on an HDD before) and did a fresh install of Windows 10 20H2. I installed all the drivers but failed when I tried to install any AMD driver version.

I've already tried the following:

- BIOSes A10, A11, A12

- Installing just the driver from Device Manager in normal and safe mode
- complete uninstall of all AMD/Intel drivers with DDU and AMD Cleanup Utility
- "Normal installation" via the Setup-File downloaded form AMD.com
- Driver versions 20.11.2, 21.2.3, 17.12.2 (from Guru3D), original AMD driver from Dell Support which install an old CCC based version, latest Windows 8.1 driver for my Win 8 try
- Windows Versions 20H2, current dev Build, Windows 10 RTM (1507), Windows 8.1

- UEFI and Legacy Boot Modes

- Ubuntu, the GPU seems to work there so I think I can rule out a hardware error

- disabling driver signature enforcement

I tried pretty much everything described in these threads:
Solved: Laptop freezes while installing AMD driver - Page 2 - AMD Community
System freezes during installation of Radeon Softw... - Page 2 - AMD Community
Solved: Laptop freezes while installing AMD driver - AMD Community
Solved: Inspiron 17r 5737 Graphics Driver Issues - Dell Community
Solved: Re: System freezes during installation of Radeon drivers - Dell Community

The symptoms are allways as follows: 
- when trying to install the driver in normal mode the computer freezes in the exact moment when the driver would actually be updated and has to be restarted - driver is not installed
- when trying to install the driver in safe mode the installation via device manager works, installation via the update package installs the device driver but software does not get installed, after rebooting, the DELL logo with the spinning points appears but before the login screen the display turns off and the notebook has to be restarted and the driver uninstalled in safe mode.

I am studying computer science and would describe myself as pretty tech savvy but I have no idea how to solve this. There are loads of threads on the internet about such errors (like the ones above) but I did not find any working solution.

If any one of you has any idea I would very much appreciate it.
Best regards
Colin

36 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

Update all the drivers available using the following tool and try again.

https://snappy-driver-installer.org/downloads/SDIO_1.10.0.729.zip

Which is something I wouldn't recommend for graphics drivers as it has screwed up once already installing a driver for a device that wasn't supported by that driver.

23 minutes ago, demonix00 said:

Which is something I wouldn't recommend for graphics drivers as it has screwed up once already installing a driver for a device that wasn't supported by that driver.

I'll try it... If it breaks the windows installation I'll try again...

1 hour ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

Update all the drivers available using the following tool and try again.

https://snappy-driver-installer.org/downloads/SDIO_1.10.0.729.zip

This has the exact same result as installing any official AMD driver manually, the system hangs, has to be rebooted, driver not installed. But thanks still.

• 4 months later...

Same Problem here too I have Dell Inspiron 3537 i7 4500U and 8850 AMD GPU exact same thig happen to me too did u solve problem ? 

As far as I have seen my experiments its due to Inter Drivers do some problem with AMD driver and mess up installation 

One time I uninstalled the Intel drivers while Installing AMD drivers and screen did not freeze while installing and process go to 100% then after that when it say reboot too finish installation and got black screen after reboot.