How good is the i9 7900x

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
Just now, SLOTHINSPACE said:

Okay i will keep that in mind 
If i choose to stick with my current cpu, do you think it will be good enough for the RTX 3080 ?

It's good enough just keep it. It's plenty good to push 144fps+ or more and it will probably last the entire console generation and still be a pretty decent gaming cpu.

Hello so i am in the market of looking for a new cpu for a RTX 3080, my current build includes a i9 7900x which cost me around 900 pounds back in 2018 i got it along with 64gb of ram when ram prices where very high, along with a high end motherboard so i thought at the time it was a good deal. As of today i would never buy this cpu for gaming which is mostly what i do with some video editing and photo editing of the side. 

My question is with this high end cpu will it be good for gaming for the next couple years, i have been using it fine along with my 1080ti for 2 years. If im going to upgrade gpu im wanting a new case, so im thinking of upgrading the cpu aswell. 

Fom looking at some benchmarks for the price the i9 7900x get beaten by cpus alot cheaper, but as i already have it,. 

Will it be fine for the RTX 3080 For the next 2-3 years?

I am also looking at the i9 10900k which is half the price and amazing a gaming i could sell my i9 7900x and if i had too put money towards a new motherboard as i would be changing for x299

Thank you

5 minutes ago, SLOTHINSPACE said:

My question is with this high end cpu will it be good for gaming for the next couple years

I am no fortune teller.

6 minutes ago, SLOTHINSPACE said:

Will it be fine for the RTX 3080 For the next 2-3 years?

Fot optimal performance i would recommend to upgrade to at least a 12 core Ryzen or a 10 core 10900K.

The high core count Ryzen CPUs are jacks of all trades masters of all - They are great for both gaming and productivity.

And both the 5900X and 5950X are great gaming and productivity CPUs.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I am no fortune teller.

Fot optimal performance i would recommend to upgrade to at least a 12 core Ryzen or a 10 core 10900K.

The high core count Ryzen CPUs are jacks of all trades masters of all - They are great for both gaming and productivity.

And both the 5900X and 5950X are great gaming and productivity CPUs.

If i choose to stick with my current cpu, do you think it will be good enough for the RTX 3080 ?

Just now, SLOTHINSPACE said:

It's good enough just keep it. It's plenty good to push 144fps+ or more and it will probably last the entire console generation and still be a pretty decent gaming cpu.

11 minutes ago, SLOTHINSPACE said:

It should be fine.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

11 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Okay thank you i guess il keep it i will most likely just build a new PC in 2-3 years when i can, i will be upgrading to the RTX 3080 as that is what will make a big difference in gaming, as long as my cpu keeps up with gaming thats fine 

Just now, DriftMan said:

Why not?

Because it's 850 pounds and mostly i use it for gaming with a little video editing, i think a cheaper cpu that's newer would be better

2 minutes ago, DriftMan said:

Do you fully utilize it? Is that your bottleneck? Because going from a very expensive CPU to a cheaper CPU for the same needs looks like a non-sense and would mean another hundreds of dollars wasted IMHO

Yeah i understand that, but would not a 10900k which is half the price and alot better performance be better would just have to switch out my motherboard

1 minute ago, DriftMan said:

Do you need it tho? Becaues if it's just the "It's better so it might make me happier" it won't work

A better value would be changing it whenever you feel like it's not giving you a good experience, it would be spending $500-$600 on the 10900K and not noticing the improve, or spending the same in few years when your CPU shows its age and get the i9 12900K-15900K or whatever

Yeah that's what im trying to decide if i should just stay with this cpu it works fine with gaming ect the only upgrade would be a gpu if I can use it for more years until i notice a improvement needed i guess i can. As long as this cpu is not a bottleneck for now with the RTX 3080 that's fine 

1 minute ago, DriftMan said:

Think that the more you use something, the better value for your money it will give you

It won't sell any good in the second hand market, not now, not tomorrow

Maybe once you upgrade in a couple of years you can still reuse your current rig for a media player or a server

Ok thanks for your info i will keep that in mind.

Have a good day