Audio setup for a small space.

kucharczykt

I'm putting together a home theater setup underneath my loft bed somewhat inspired by linus's storage unit video. Its not ideal I know but that's the best spot to put it as I share a large open office space with 2 other family members and the living room is filled with terrariums. The room is 6ft tall 6ft long and 3 1/2ft wide. I've already done the math for a tv size and have a post in "displays" so now I just need an audio setup. To dampen and isolate sound I plan to put a heavy curtain on the open sides of the space. I thought about putting a rug in and padding the walls and or ceiling but I wasn't shure if that was exessive and I'm not very familiar with how sound works. I planned to do a 2.1 or a 3.1 because the rear speakers would be to close to my head in a 5.1. I have a budget of 300~400USD but I might be able to stretch that budget to 500USD.

Thanks for advice in advance!

I think you're on the right track with adding sound deadening materials to the space.

The space is quite small... Have you considered going with headphones instead of speakers? That would make managing sound leakage and competing with others in the space (noise-wise) a lot easier.

Or is that not on the table?

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

23 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

I think you're on the right track with adding sound deadening materials to the space.

The space is quite small... Have you considered going with headphones instead of speakers? That would make managing sound leakage and competing with others in the space (noise-wise) a lot easier.

Or is that not on the table?

I will probally have headphones there (especially as my collection grows) but the main reason that I was putting this together was to have a good speaker setup. I'm not terribly concered about getting the sound dampening perfect but I set aside 100 dollars of my budget to deal with it.

On 2/27/2021 at 5:33 AM, kucharczykt said:

I will probally have headphones there (especially as my collection grows) but the main reason that I was putting this together was to have a good speaker setup. I'm not terribly concered about getting the sound dampening perfect but I set aside 100 dollars of my budget to deal with it.

Is your goal to block the sound to spare the other people or to control the echo and reverb in the space?

curtains/blankets/acoustic panels are not going to do anything for the other people. They only control echo and reverb. They do not sound proof. For that you need to go much more drastic.

4 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Is your goal to block the sound to spare the other people or to control the echo and reverb in the space?

curtains/blankets/acoustic panels are not going to do anything for the other people. They only control echo and reverb. They do not sound proof. For that you need to go much more drastic.

I was only worried about controlling the echo and reverb. I'm home alone most of the time so I ussually don't have to worrie about other peaple hearing my movie/show. Other times I could either put on headphones or turn it down a little more than usual. As for sound getting in unless my sister has a freind over or the dogs are barking neither of which happen terribly often.

7 hours ago, kucharczykt said:

I was only worried about controlling the echo and reverb. I'm home alone most of the time so I ussually don't have to worrie about other peaple hearing my movie/show. Other times I could either put on headphones or turn it down a little more than usual. As for sound getting in unless my sister has a freind over or the dogs are barking neither of which happen terribly often.

thick curtains over doorways and windows work well....
i used these and it helped a lot, 2 doorways 3 windows (19x19 room)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KNSG4T7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 hours ago, circeseye said:

thick curtains over doorways and windows work well....
i used these and it helped a lot, 2 doorways 3 windows (19x19 room)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KNSG4T7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the reccomendation! I will probally end up using these, there a little pricy but for what they are its not bad