Insanely high IDLE CPU temps (Ryzen 5 3600)

TwoShoes
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
5 minutes ago, TwoShoes said:

I sent pictures of the settings I changed. I think I followed what you said. When I got my new CPU, I updated the bios to 3.3, which I know isn't the latest but is what was listed on the website next to my CPU. Should I attempt updating the BIOS again? This could fix some issues.

Updating the bios wouldn't hurt at all. Note: After updating it they recommend "After the system restarts, press [F2] to enter the BIOS setup utility during boot up. In Exit menu, please select "Load Default Settings" and press [Enter] to continue. Select "Exit Saving Changes" and press [Enter] to exit the BIOS setup utility. Now, the system is booting up with new BIOS."

After this you'll need to go back to BIOS again to reapply your XMP profile for your ram and anything else you want to change.

Personally the only changes I ever make in BIOS are:

Disable Spread Spectrum which given your sound issues you might want to re enable.
XMP profile for ram

Enable PBO

Customize my fans in HW Monitor tab

3 minutes ago, TwoShoes said:

I have 3 case fans and one cpu fan, I never used to have problems with cooling. With my old CPU, the temps would never rise high enough for the fans to even be audible.

image.png.634f3a2d5e007a200f5e56808b1040b1.pngI switched my power plan

Also, how do I make the Ryzen Master settings save? When I close the program the temps rise a bit and upon opening it again, the 'game' plan is no longer selected.

Thank you again for all your help and swift responses!

Yeah unfortunately Ryzen master will not keep those settings live after you close it. You can open it and apply game mode every time you start your pc or I was going to suggest we make some changes in BIOS that will stick.

I just wanted to see if tweaking the settings in Ryzen Master would impact the problem and it seems that it does so we can definitely make some more permanent changes. Including fixing your memory.

1 minute ago, Shabba said:

Yeah unfortunately Ryzen master will not keep those settings live after you close it. You can open it and apply game mode every time you start your pc or I was going to suggest we make some changes in BIOS that will stick.

I just wanted to see if tweaking the settings in Ryzen Master would impact the problem and it seems that it does so we can definitely make some more permanent changes. Including fixing your memory.

Okay I am open to any suggestions. However, my RAM is functioning fine. Before I knew my temps were high I was able to stream and run a game, with many programs open. My main concern is my CPU temperature currently.

29 minutes ago, TwoShoes said:

Okay I am open to any suggestions. However, my RAM is functioning fine. Before I knew my temps were high I was able to stream and run a game, with many programs open. My main concern is my CPU temperature currently.

Hopefully if you check your cooler mounting is mounted correctly and with even pressure on each screw that will help the CPU temps more, as will correctly applied paste, but that won't affect things as much as the mounting will.

You could always undervolt to help temps but in reality what you need is a better cooler.

The reason why I mentioned your memory is based on your screenshot in ryzen master you are not running coupled mode, an xmp profile or a 1:1 fabric clock so you're leaving performance on the table.

Here are simple settings to apply in BIOS. Sorry for the crap phone pics but you get the idea.

image.thumb.png.b6cdb3f3e5ab4ee495fe5e5c1ead637f.png

image.thumb.png.a46f7195f6fd5acbae1bae22def5a7bd.png

Go to Advanced / AMD Overclocking / Accept the warning / Precision Boost Overdrive.

Auto is the default which is basically the same as Off. If you want "Game mode" like in Ryzen Master permanently then set it to enabled. Everything else should be at 0

image.thumb.png.8dae71a3c3f2e2e5d7e2a1b1646d6a54.png

Oh, and on the Tool tab make sure the fan header for your CPU cooler is set to Perfromance mode.

No screenshot of that

save and exit

image.thumb.png.a4698113062c9dd0254ea36863db620a.png

If you're still not happy with temps after this then set that PBO thing back to Auto.

18 minutes ago, Shabba said:

Hopefully if you check your cooler mounting is mounted correctly and with even pressure on each screw that will help the CPU temps more, as will correctly applied paste, but that won't affect things as much as the mounting will.

You could always undervolt to help temps but in reality what you need is a better cooler.

The reason why I mentioned your memory is based on your screenshot in ryzen master you are not running coupled mode, an xmp profile or a 1:1 fabric clock so you're leaving performance on the table.

Here are simple settings to apply in BIOS. Sorry for the crap phone pics but you get the idea.

Go to Advanced / AMD Overclocking / Accept the warning / Precision Boost Overdrive.

Auto is the default which is basically the same as Off. If you want "Game mode" like in Ryzen Master permanently then set it to enabled. Everything else should be at 0

Oh, and on the Tool tab make sure the fan header for your CPU cooler is set to Perfromance mode.

No screenshot of that

save and exit

If you're still not happy with temps after this then set that PBO thing back to Auto.

Thanks - these pictures are really helpful. I just remounted the CPU fan and am already seeing lower temps. I will implement your BIOS settings and get back to you.

image.png.f695c25b76f717c1646ced69d0fb137c.png

40 minutes ago, Shabba said:

No screenshot of that

save and exit

Hey. I didn't have the same settings as you in BIOS but replaced the ones I could. The only thing I couldn't change was the CPU cooler on performance mode. I have sent screenshots of the thermal paste on CPU, new bios settings. Should I try playing games and or streaming now?

IMG_20210225_172822.jpg

IMG_20210225_170301.jpg

IMG_20210225_172653.jpg

1 hour ago, Shabba said:

No screenshot of that

save and exit

Hi. Since I applied the settings in BIOS, I have had issues with crackling/stuttering audio. I think some of the settings affected my sound devices in some way. This is happening on both my headphones and speakers. image.thumb.png.4eeb8fecc3df2ec9cb15334ea9f07693.png

7 minutes ago, TwoShoes said:

Hi. Since I applied the settings in BIOS, I have had issues with crackling/stuttering audio. I think some of the settings affected my sound devices in some way. This is happening on both my headphones and speakers.

Okay that's weird.
Firstly is your ram 2400 and you manually changed it to 3200? If so I would just run it at its rated speed

Secondly if you didn't have all the options then perhaps your bios is out of date, what version is it? Mine is 4.90

for the audio issue try going back into the BIOS and changing SB Clock Spread Spectrum to enabled and see if that fixes it

Also apologies about the cpu cooler fan, I said the wrong tab, it's on HW Monitor tab

5 minutes ago, Shabba said:

Okay that's weird.
Firstly is your ram 2400 and you manually changed it to 3200? If so I would just run it at its rated speed

Secondly if you didn't have all the options then perhaps your bios is out of date, what version is it? Mine is 4.90

for the audio issue try going back into the BIOS and changing SB Clock Spread Spectrum to enabled and see if that fixes it

I sent pictures of the settings I changed. I think I followed what you said. When I got my new CPU, I updated the bios to 3.3, which I know isn't the latest but is what was listed on the website next to my CPU. Should I attempt updating the BIOS again? This could fix some issues. Also, enabling Spread Spectrum didn't fix the audio issue.

5 minutes ago, TwoShoes said:

I sent pictures of the settings I changed. I think I followed what you said. When I got my new CPU, I updated the bios to 3.3, which I know isn't the latest but is what was listed on the website next to my CPU. Should I attempt updating the BIOS again? This could fix some issues.

Updating the bios wouldn't hurt at all. Note: After updating it they recommend "After the system restarts, press [F2] to enter the BIOS setup utility during boot up. In Exit menu, please select "Load Default Settings" and press [Enter] to continue. Select "Exit Saving Changes" and press [Enter] to exit the BIOS setup utility. Now, the system is booting up with new BIOS."

After this you'll need to go back to BIOS again to reapply your XMP profile for your ram and anything else you want to change.

Disable Spread Spectrum which given your sound issues you might want to re enable.
XMP profile for ram

Enable PBO

1 minute ago, Shabba said:

XMP profile for ram

Enable PBO

Ok. I will update my BIOS, reset the settings and re-input the settings you recommended. I'll get back to you when I have done all this.

16 minutes ago, TwoShoes said:

Ok. I will update my BIOS, reset the settings and re-input the settings you recommended. I'll get back to you when I have done all this.

image.png.e5efde9e5a766b213cc1e88bdb419ae0.png

These are the final settings, they are definitely better than when we started. I want to thank you for all of your help and I'll be sure to reply to you again in this thread if I encounter any further issues - I don't know how hot my CPU will get when playing video games.

ps. the sound issues are resolved 

3 minutes ago, TwoShoes said:

image.png.e5efde9e5a766b213cc1e88bdb419ae0.png

These are the final settings, they are definitely better than when we started. I want to thank you for all of your help and I'll be sure to reply to you again in this thread if I encounter any further issues - I don't know how hot my CPU will get when playing video games.

ps. the sound issues are resolved 

that's good, how about your memory, did you reapply the XMP profile? It's quite important for ryzen to have that 1:1 mem clock to fabric clock

Would you consider getting a new cpu cooler? I reckon you could improve upon the stock cooler for about £30 to £35

Check if the cooler is seated correctly, maybe even buy thermal paste, remove the old thermal paste from cooler and cpu then reseat the cpu and cooler with fresh thermal paste (watch a video for appropriate application methods), because frankly you shouldn't need any special settings for the cpu to have acceptable temps, my 3600 is stock BIOS settings, stock cooler, 'windows balanced' power plan and I'm using mx4 thermal paste which is honestly not that much better than the stock paste (just 3-4C lower), no Ryzen Master (the program isn't very good, unsurprisingly as AMD's fortune obviously isn't software) and my idle temps are around 39C. 🤷🏼

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Check if the cooler is seated correctly, maybe even buy thermal paste, remove the old thermal paste from cooler and cpu then reseat the cpu and cooler with fresh thermal paste (watch a video for appropriate application methods), because frankly you shouldn't need any special settings for the cpu to have acceptable temps, my 3600 is stock BIOS settings, stock cooler, 'windows balanced' power plan and I'm using mx4 thermal paste which is honestly not that much better than the stock paste (just 3-4C lower), no Ryzen Master (the program isn't very good, unsurprisingly as AMD's fortune obviously isn't software) and my idle temps are around 39C. 🤷🏼

I reseated my CPU fan and all seemed to improve. I never go above 80 whilst streaming and gaming simultaneously so I think I will leave it for now. The thermal paste seemed to be mostly on (with an exception around small patches on the corners) and the fan was on tightly.

4 hours ago, Shabba said:

that's good, how about your memory, did you reapply the XMP profile? It's quite important for ryzen to have that 1:1 mem clock to fabric clock

Would you consider getting a new cpu cooler? I reckon you could improve upon the stock cooler for about £30 to £35

I am going to stick with the stock cooler for now as I just purchased the CPU. I definitely reapplied the XMP profile.