Insanely high IDLE CPU temps (Ryzen 5 3600)

TwoShoes
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
5 minutes ago, TwoShoes said:

I sent pictures of the settings I changed. I think I followed what you said. When I got my new CPU, I updated the bios to 3.3, which I know isn't the latest but is what was listed on the website next to my CPU. Should I attempt updating the BIOS again? This could fix some issues.

Updating the bios wouldn't hurt at all. Note: After updating it they recommend "After the system restarts, press [F2] to enter the BIOS setup utility during boot up. In Exit menu, please select "Load Default Settings" and press [Enter] to continue. Select "Exit Saving Changes" and press [Enter] to exit the BIOS setup utility. Now, the system is booting up with new BIOS."

After this you'll need to go back to BIOS again to reapply your XMP profile for your ram and anything else you want to change.

Personally the only changes I ever make in BIOS are:

Disable Spread Spectrum which given your sound issues you might want to re enable.
XMP profile for ram

Enable PBO

Customize my fans in HW Monitor tab

yo. I just upgraded my CPU from a Ryzen 3 2600g to a Ryzen 5 3600. My motherboard is the ASROCK b450m pro4. (the rest of my PC specs can be found in the pcpartpicker list below) The PC is fully functional and all the parts seem to be working as expected (case fans, cpu fans spinning). However, my CPU is reaching crazy idle temperatures - I recorded temperatures of 90+ (Celsius) when idle (1% usage). When running games, I reached over 100 degrees C. A simple google search told me the stock cooler comes with thermal paste, which I can only assume is the grey layer of sludge that obscured the Ryzen logo on the CPU itself. Before upgrading my CPU, I had to update my bios for the mother to recognise it. In accordance with the ASROCK website, I upgraded to BIOS version 3.3, which is what the final column says (shown below).

image.thumb.png.2360c2196982634877c045ee524443ab.png

Does anyone have any ideas about why my computer is so hot? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/tjRnrr 

Yes, the grey sludge you found on your old 2200G (There is no 2600G) was the thermal paste. When you put in the new CPU, you should've cleaned the cooler and CPU,

applied new thermal paste and then put on the new cooler. Running 100+ degrees will damage the CPU so until you can replace the thermal paste and make sure the contact between CPU and cooler is sufficient, don't use the computer.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

5 minutes ago, TwoShoes said:

yo. I just upgraded my CPU from a Ryzen 3 2600g to a Ryzen 5 3600. My motherboard is the ASROCK b450m pro4. (the rest of my PC specs can be found in the pcpartpicker list below) The PC is fully functional and all the parts seem to be working as expected (case fans, cpu fans spinning). However, my CPU is reaching crazy idle temperatures - I recorded temperatures of 90+ (Celsius) when idle (1% usage). When running games, I reached over 100 degrees C. A simple google search told me the stock cooler comes with thermal paste, which I can only assume is the grey layer of sludge that obscured the Ryzen logo on the CPU itself. Before upgrading my CPU, I had to update my bios for the mother to recognise it. In accordance with the ASROCK website, I upgraded to BIOS version 3.3, which is what the final column says (shown below).

image.thumb.png.2360c2196982634877c045ee524443ab.png

Does anyone have any ideas about why my computer is so hot? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/tjRnrr 

How are you measuring the temps?

CoreTemp is a program that I have found to be highly accurate.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Yes, the grey sludge you found on your old 2200G (There is no 2600G) was the thermal paste. When you put in the new CPU, you should've cleaned the cooler and CPU,

applied new thermal paste and then put on the new cooler. Running 100+ degrees will damage the CPU so until you can replace the thermal paste and make sure the contact between CPU and cooler is sufficient, don't use the computer.

I installed a new fan with the new CPU - I purchased a new CPU and new stock cooler - does the stock cooler not apply the thermal paste to the new CPU? Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier.

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

How are you measuring the temps?

CoreTemp is a program that I have found to be highly accurate.

CoreTemp is what I was using - I got idle temps of around 95+ on all cores.

Just now, TwoShoes said:

I installed a new fan with the new CPU - I purchased a new CPU and new stock cooler - does the stock cooler not apply the thermal paste to the new CPU? Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier.

If the cooler still had the grey thermal paste squares on the bottom, yes, it came with it. If the temps are still very high after that, the mounting pressure might be insufficient.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, TwoShoes said:

CoreTemp is what I was using - I got idle temps of around 95+ on all cores.

Cross check with other software, like HWMonitor and HWinfo64 to make sure.

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Cross with other software, like HWMonitor and HWinfo64 to make sure.

Will do. I checked my CPU temps in my BIOS too and received similar temperatures so I don't think there's a miscalculation error.

Even a cooler with no thermal paste at all should give lower temps than that. I would agree with other people and say that the measurement itself could be wrong.

Try installing Ryzen Master and see what temp it says.

Edit: Just saw your reply saying you checked in BIOS too. It might still also be useful to see how much power the CPU is drawing. The high temp could just be a synmptom of a different problem like a power issue. Ryzen Master can show you the power draw.

5 minutes ago, Shabba said:

Even a cooler with no thermal paste at all should give lower temps than that. I would agree with other people and say that the measurement itself could be wrong.

Definitely not. Without thermal paste, surface area that needs to cool down a 65W heat source is smaller than your thumb. Either OP has no thermal paste or did not mount the cooler.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Sounds like a bad mount. Try remounting the CPU cooler, and also removing the thermal paste that's on there and applying some fresh one, if you've got any on hand.

Also, try being extra careful when you're taking the cooler off. Because of the AM4 socket and CPUs, often times the especially sticky thermal paste will glue the CPU to the cooler and pull it right out of the socket (which isn't ideal, to say the least).

A good idea would be removing the cooler right after shutting down the system (so the paste is still warm), and also pull the cooler off with a twisting motion, as opposed to just pulling it straight up.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

Definitely not. Without thermal paste, surface area that needs to cool down a 65W heat source is smaller than your thumb. Either OP has no thermal paste or did not mount the cooler.

at Idle a metal to metal contact between heat spreader and cooler plate with no paste would not run anywhere near 90c. That has been proven many times. At full load yes it would likely hit that.

2 hours ago, Shabba said:

Try installing Ryzen Master and see what temp it says.

Edit: Just saw your reply saying you checked in BIOS too. It might still also be useful to see how much power the CPU is drawing. The high temp could just be a synmptom of a different problem like a power issue. Ryzen Master can show you the power draw.

Hi again. I have just installed Ryzen Master, the temps read from around 50-80 degrees C when not running any games. In terms of difference between Core Temp and Ryzen Master, there is around a 10 degrees difference. I have attached a screenshot of Ryzen Master - it doesn't mean anything to me but maybe to you. If you have any advice on what power settings to tweak, if there is a problem with the 'power draw' and not hardware, I would be very appreciative. Should I decrease the amount of power going to the CPU?

Thanks.

image.thumb.png.0256255cdb4b695c30f26d6ef7b0f494.png

image.png.4094c320734fa068a4ad5d1d7b8525e7.png

image.png

image.png

7 minutes ago, TwoShoes said:

Hi again. I have just installed Ryzen Master, the temps read from around 50-80 degrees C when not running any games. In terms of difference between Core Temp and Ryzen Master, there is around a 10 degrees difference. I have attached a screenshot of Ryzen Master - it doesn't mean anything to me but maybe to you. If you have any advice on what power settings to tweak, if there is a problem with the 'power draw' and not hardware, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks.

image.png.4094c320734fa068a4ad5d1d7b8525e7.png

image.png

This is at idle?

Just now, Shabba said:

This is at idle?

I mean I had google chrome, ryzen master and maybe one other program running. The cpu was hardly utilized (2% usage maybe)

Just now, TwoShoes said:

I mean I had google chrome, ryzen master and maybe one other program running. The cpu was hardly utilized (2% usage maybe)

The PPT is about double what it should be. Should be around 30% at idle yours is 60%. The TDC and EDC all look too high as well. Probably double what they should be at idle.
Whatever is causing the high power usage is why you have high temps.

You might find someone will come along and know exactly what's happening which would be great but I would need to do a bit of research.

I am running the 3600X and exact same motherboard. Let me check a few things and I'll get back to you

1 minute ago, Shabba said:

The PPT is about double what it should be. Should be around 30% at idle yours is 60%. The TDC and EDC look too high as well. Probably double what they should be at idle.
Whatever is causing the high power usage is why you have high temps.

You might find someone will come along and know exactly what's happening which would be great but I would need to do a bit of research.

I am running the 3600X and exact same motherboard. Let me a few things and I'll get to you

Ok thank you. The rest of my components are linked on the original post. I have tweaked a couple things recently regarding power usage (changing power plans etc) but they didn't affect my old CPU and I doubt they would do any harm.

3 minutes ago, TwoShoes said:

Ok thank you. The rest of my components are linked on the original post. I have tweaked a couple things recently regarding power usage (changing power plans etc) but they didn't affect my old CPU and I doubt they would do any harm.

Could be related. What power plan are you using?

Did you change any CPU voltages in BIOS?

2 minutes ago, Shabba said:

Could be related. What power plan are you using?

Did you any CPU voltages in BIOS?

I am using AMD's custom power plan, this was one of the first things I tried to lower CPU temps. I haven't changed anything in the BIOS apart from fan speeds, but they come on at around 40% anyway (which is currently the whole time) so I don't thing that would affect anything.

yo

I already posted this in another thread but I have seemingly narrowed down the problem. I upgraded my CPU from a Ryzen 3 2200g to a Ryzen 5 3600. Since the install, I have been hitting insane idle temperatures of 80-100 degrees. I have thermal paste on the CPU and I'm fairly confident the fan is installed properly - all the case fans are also working. I was advised to install Ryzen Master to analyse the issue. I have attached a screenshot below of my idle CPU. I have already been told my 'PPT' is around double what it should be, and the TDC and EDC are also too high. Does anyone have any ideas - is this a power related issue?

Thank you in advance.

26 minutes ago, TwoShoes said:

I am using AMD's custom power plan, this was one of the first things I tried to lower CPU temps. I haven't changed anything in the BIOS apart from fan speeds, but they come on at around 40% anyway (which is currently the whole time) so I don't thing that would affect anything.

Do me a favor. In Ryzen Master click on Game Mode. At the bottom of that screen click Apply.
Then go back to Home and see if those temp and power figures change at all

The power figures seem to have improved. The temp is still around 50 degrees, which seems a little high. This definitely made a difference. I don't know what will happen when I try to stream/play though.image.png.e623672bda5f61c51b5acb92292bbf84.png

6 minutes ago, Shabba said:

Do me a favor. In Ryzen Master click on Game Mode. At the bottom of that screen click Apply.
Then go back to Home and see if those temp and power figures change at all

The power figures seem to have improved. The temp is still around 50 degrees, which seems a little high. This definitely made a difference. I don't know what will happen when I try to stream/play though.image.png.e623672bda5f61c51b5acb92292bbf84.png

7 minutes ago, TwoShoes said:

Yes, that's a start although there are still a few things I'd want to do if I was you. 50 is still a little high for stock cooler. How is the airflow in your case?

8.174W CPU power is too high for idle. DOes it drop lower and occasionally go up to around 8 or is it pegged at around 8? Edit - actually ignore that question. 8 would be fine if you were doing something, in fact higher would be fine if you were doing stuff.
Which windows power plan are you running? I would reccomend you go to "Ryzen Balanced" for now. It should be available as a power plan if you have the latest chipset drivers installed.

Your memory settings look a little off, we can hopefully sort that out too.

1 minute ago, Shabba said:

Yes, that's a start although there are still a few things I'd want to do if I was you. 50 is still a little high for stock cooler. How is the airflow in your case?

8.174W CPU power is too high for idle. Which windows power plan are you running? I would reccomend you go to "Ryzen Balanced" for now. It should be available as a power plan if you have the latest chipset drivers installed.

Your memory settings look a little off, we can hopefully sort that out too.

I have 3 case fans and one cpu fan, I never used to have problems with cooling. With my old CPU, the temps would never rise high enough for the fans to even be audible.

image.png.634f3a2d5e007a200f5e56808b1040b1.pngI switched my power plan

Also, how do I make the Ryzen Master settings save? When I close the program the temps rise a bit and upon opening it again, the 'game' plan is no longer selected.

Thank you again for all your help and swift responses!