Windows 10 pro but no drivers

NarwhalKing33
Go to solution Solved by Euchre,
28 minutes ago, NarwhalKing33 said:

I got a windows 10 pro cd from a friend.

This doesn't sound good from step one. First off, I'm sure you don't mean CD, because what it takes to really install Windows 10 won't fit on a CD. It would take a DVD at minimum, and I'm not even sure that would work. Windows 10 can be installed from a flash drive, which is the normal way for most situations. Microsoft suggests an 8gb flash drive. A standard DVD is only 4.7gb. The disc would have to be a double layer DVD. Your best fix is to just download the installer from Microsoft, and use their Media Creation Tool to create a flash drive for installation. It costs nothing to download the installation from Microsoft, and would only cost for activation if you can't deal with the limitations of an unactivated copy. Activation keys can be purchased legally from a variety of sources, for a not unreasonable amount of money.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Hi. I recently built a new pc, and I got a windows 10 pro cd from a friend. It has been giving me trouble. I am getting BSODs with driver errors or just a torn screen that looks like I clicked tv instead of HDMI. I have the problem nailed to having no drivers. I can't even get time to pop my drivers and utilities disk. IDK what to do from here. Any help would be appreciated.

What are your specs? What BSOD error are you encountering?

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Without any other info, it sounds like your hardware is very new and the cd is very old and thus doesn't have all the necessary drivers for your system. Windows 10 comes with drivers preloaded, at least enough to get the system up and running. If you have say a brand new B550 board and are using a Windows 10 copy from 2016 that you would get those kind of issues. That solution is subject to change depending on your hardware and if it actually is an old install disk.

28 minutes ago, NarwhalKing33 said:

I got a windows 10 pro cd from a friend.

This doesn't sound good from step one. First off, I'm sure you don't mean CD, because what it takes to really install Windows 10 won't fit on a CD. It would take a DVD at minimum, and I'm not even sure that would work. Windows 10 can be installed from a flash drive, which is the normal way for most situations. Microsoft suggests an 8gb flash drive. A standard DVD is only 4.7gb. The disc would have to be a double layer DVD. Your best fix is to just download the installer from Microsoft, and use their Media Creation Tool to create a flash drive for installation. It costs nothing to download the installation from Microsoft, and would only cost for activation if you can't deal with the limitations of an unactivated copy. Activation keys can be purchased legally from a variety of sources, for a not unreasonable amount of money.

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Without any other info, it sounds like your hardware is very new and the cd is very old and thus doesn't have all the necessary drivers for your system. Windows 10 comes with drivers preloaded, at least enough to get the system up and running. If you have say a brand new B550 board and are using a Windows 10 copy from 2016 that you would get those kind of issues. That solution is subject to change depending on your hardware and if it actually is an old install disk.

'Bootstrap' drivers are usually enough to get a basic, functional system up and running, particularly in the display and networking components. Once you have the ability to access a network, you can access better drivers online. That's why they do the bootstrap driver thing for those key components.

2 minutes ago, Euchre said:

'Bootstrap' drivers are usually enough to get a basic, functional system up and running, particularly in the display and networking components. Once you have the ability to access a network, you can access better drivers online. That's why they do the bootstrap driver thing for those key components.

Keyword "usually." I figured with how different Ryzen is that intel that if the disc was from before then and he had it, it would cause some issues, especially with how broken Ryzen was with Windows when it first came out.

42 minutes ago, Euchre said:

I have done this before through a flash drive and it worked. I made a flash drive and I did it now. I have some relatives that are IT people and told me to use a CD and other BS. It works now.