Home server/hub

Dewald

Hi guys. I built up a small cheap "server" pc.

The goal is to have windows OS (familiar w windows).

I want to use this pc as main hub for house to connect. Be able to save/copy files from and to phones/tablets and 2x other win 10 based gaming pc's.

On this server i would also like to control and monitor my router/wifi connections.

I would also like to use this server as revorfing storrage for my cctv system.

I would also like to be able to access my solar inverter settings from the server.

I would also like to be able to access this server online/remotely from one or 2 trusted devices.

I would also like to be able to access server from all trusted connections in my house with read/write capability.

And have one partion where quests can read/write only to a certain part of the server (not have access to the main files etc). Dont want quests fiddling with the OS or main backup drive, only maybe on the 1tb ssd.

This pc will always be on with backup power. On 24/7 (hopefully)

Specs

A320m-h MB

A6 9500 cpu (upgraded later 3rd gen ryzen 3)

16 gb ddr4 memory

120gb m.2 ssd (OS)

1 TB ssd

10 TB ironwolf Hdd (later on x2)

Asus Pci wifi card

Win 10 pro

Questions:

- will the above scenario wotk? If not, how fo i rectify and what do i need?

- will i be able to have the 1 tb as the main transfer drive (for speed) and let the pc copy everything over to main 10 tb on its own time? (Maybe one folder untouchable by anyone exept server, 1 folder for random read and write of trusted devices and one plublic for visitors)

- is there a raid option for the above scenario?

- can i plug router direct into pc (ethernet) and use the wifi card as my home wifi access point?

- which programs/apps can i look into or google for some more clarity?

- how do i avoid unauthorised hacks and entry from 3rd party people?

- im trying to avoid logon screen (removed the password) to forsee for unplanned power outages. Will this be safe? Is there a workaround/encryption?

- lets say i do stock trading/banking and other personal stuff on one of the other 2 pc or tablet connected to server. Will it be safe? And how do i keep it safe with this type of system?

- both pcs and phones and tablet will connect through server. Will i experiance additional ping spikes etc?

- maybe broadcast one signal trusted devices see or have access to 2 signals? 

-what would be the cons of a system like this?

(There may be some follow up questions)

Im not planning on hosting game servers on the system anytime soon and still a proper noob when it comes to servers. And if someone could please point me in the direction or explain to me step by step on achiving my gaol it will be really appreciated!

(I looked into freeNAS - im stuck to windows(like) interface for some reasons, can i run both at once?)

Thank you 

Windows is really not the best choice for what you are trying to do.

If you would like "Windows style" OS that can do all that, has no ptoblem with running 24/7 and has a ton of documentation to help you troubleshoot and get everything going I would suggest you to use Ubuntu Linux.

If you have any question as to how set the stuff up that you would like to do I am happy to assist but also there are plenty of othe forum entries already explaining just that.

Quote or tag me( @SEAL62 ) if you want me to see your reply

consider a reaction if I was funny, informative, helpful, or agreeable

CPU: Intel i9-9900K GPU: Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Master Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
AIO: Corsair H150i RGB Platinum RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3000MHz Case: Corsair iCUE 465X RGB PSU: Corsair RM750x White

HP Envy x360 Convertible

CPU: Intel i5-10210U GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX250 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2666 SSD: 512GB PCIe

23 minutes ago, Dewald said:

- will the above scenario wotk? If not, how fo i rectify and what do i need?

Probably. You can do just about anything with an OS such as Windows.

It's not so much about what you want to do with it, but more about the specific services you need.

But tbh I do not recommend you to use Windows. An OS such as UnRaid or FreeNAS can make this process a lot easier.

- will i be able to have the 1 tb as the main transfer drive (for speed) and let the pc copy everything over to main 10 tb on its own time? (Maybe one folder untouchable by anyone exept server, 1 folder for random read and write of trusted devices and one plublic for visitors)

I'm sure it's do-able with Windows. What you mean is a cache drive. UnRaid for example supports this.

- is there a raid option for the above scenario?

There's a RAID option for just about anything. Important are the number of drives and their capacity. 

UnRaid for example supports just about anything you throw at it.

- can i plug router direct into pc (ethernet) and use the wifi card as my home wifi access point?

Yes you could. Windows for example supports to open up a hotspot, to which you can then connect.

Tho there are probably better way to do this.

- how do i avoid unauthorised hacks and entry from 3rd party people?

Keep ports closed, enable firewalls, update your services, manage subnets, ... There are many small things that go into a secure network.

- lets say i do stock trading/banking and other personal stuff on one of the other 2 pc or tablet connected to server. Will it be safe? And how do i keep it safe with this type of system?

It's not any different to your PC, as long as the server isn't open to the public.

- both pcs and phones and tablet will connect through server. Will i experiance additional ping spikes etc?

Why would you do that? What's the point?

You described to use your server as a "main hub", but what is the specific goal? Safe time? Gain more storage? Often the solution isn't necessarily a server.

Servers are there to make your life easier, not more complicated.

-> Moved to Servers and NAS

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv