Cheap 1070 or not that expensive 1080ti?

AlexRVX8

SO: I've found two gpu's after a long time of digging through second hand market.

Today I found a gpu (msi gtx 1070 gaming x) for the mice price of 195€ (around 240usd). To my surprise I found a great deal on a gtx 1080ti (also msi gaming x) for 295€ (around 360usd). The problem is that, as a high school student and a amateur musician, I could use that money for other expenses that come with maintenance of instruments and the whole stuff.  I don't know what to choose. 

Those are steals in today's market. That 1080Ti is significantly faster than the 1070. What resolution do you game at?

Just now, rickeo said:

Those are steals in today's market. That 1080Ti is significantly faster than the 1070. What resolution do you game at?

I play on 1080p, but looking forward to 1440p

1 minute ago, AlexRVX8 said:

I play on 1080p, but looking forward to 1440p

If you plan to go 1440p, you'll be happy you went with a 1080Ti, that's for sure.

2 minutes ago, rickeo said:

If you plan to go 1440p, you'll be happy you went with a 1080Ti, that's for sure.

So, on long run, the 1080 will be a better option? Maybe the 3060's could be another option for the price range I'm in

Just now, AlexRVX8 said:

So, on long run, the 1080 will be a better option? Maybe the 3060's could be another option for the price range I'm in

By far. Another option is to just settle on the 1070 so you have less invested when modern GPU's are actually available again. If you stick to 1080p for the time being, the 1070 will be plenty fast enough. 

The 1080ti will future proof you into the next generation for 95% of games. 1070 is more like a stopgap. (Depends what you play to some degree tho, if it is just CSGO then the 1070 is fine)

29 minutes ago, Stockholmes said:

What does the rest of your system look like?

Ryzen 7 1700 at stock and 16gb of ram. 

37 minutes ago, rickeo said:

By far. Another option is to just settle on the 1070 so you have less invested when modern GPU's are actually available again. If you stick to 1080p for the time being, the 1070 will be plenty fast enough. 

28 minutes ago, Ar558a said:

The 1080ti will future proof you into the next generation for 95% of games. 1070 is more like a stopgap. (Depends what you play to some degree tho, if it is just CSGO then the 1070 is fine)

I think I'll go for the 1080ti, it's too good of a deal and it will probably not be available for too long. In case it flies away I'll just get the 1070 and look forward to a decent upgrade.