Diferent xmp profiles in a ram stick?

PedroBE

So, I've oppened HWiNFO and it show diferent xmp profiles for various speeds for my ram, is it possible to swith between them? (I've got a crucial 3600mhz cl 16 kit but I'm running a r7 2700 and it shows a 3200 cl14, that should be better, right?)
I've tried manual oc but my mobo is quite strange, aint working correctly for it, just xmp, even on diferent dimms.
282185244_2021-02-23(1).png.412bed1eb50f3154652c1b20fbcae5d1.png

What board do you have?  It could matter.  There is a general direction to list all hardware for a rig so that such things can be looked at quickly.  My memory is the 2700x is ram speed limited.  Board may also have a max depending on the board.  You can only get to the highest point that both  the cpu and the motherboard can reach. You likely can’t push the ram speed to 3600 period. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

46 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

What board do you have?  It could matter.  There is a general direction to list all hardware for a rig so that such things can be looked at quickly.  My memory is the 2700x is ram speed limited.  Board may also have a max depending on the board.  You can only get to the highest point that both  the cpu and the motherboard can reach. You likely can’t push the ram speed to 3600 period. 

Mb, I have a gigabyte b450m gaming, but I'm running 3600 mhz, just dont see any diference to my old 3000 cl 16 kit. I'm trying to get it to lower speed and better timing bcuz zen+ lol
I'm not going to get frustrated if I can't get better performance just bcuz I bought these new dimms for more ram capacity and 3600 for changing to a zen 3 in the near future.

2021-02-23 (2).png

That’s a pretty standard motherboard.  The question may be why you can’t set things manually.  (Ignoring of course that it’s a serious pain to do)  it’s possible that the cpu you have is preventing things.  As to zen3 on b450 I understand there can be complications with that.  Not sure what they all are. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That’s a pretty standard motherboard.  The question may be why you can’t set things manually.  (Ignoring of course that it’s a serious pain to do)  it’s possible that the cpu you have is preventing things.  As to zen3 on b450 I understand there can be complications with that.  Not sure what they all are. 

Yeah, I used to oc easily the mem but now weird shit happens... And I'm not keeping this board for zen 3, I'm planning on selling the role rig and build a new one, got a 3090 and the 2700 aint cutting it (but mostly for renders its fine).

55 minutes ago, PedroBE said:

Yeah, I used to oc easily the mem but now weird shit happens... And I'm not keeping this board for zen 3, I'm planning on selling the role rig and build a new one, got a 3090 and the 2700 aint cutting it (but mostly for renders its fine).

But you’re keeping the 3600 ram I take it. 

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

But you’re keeping the 3600 ram I take it. 

Yep, I'm buying slowly when I can, rushed to get the 3090 and mem before the price rises, I was running a 2070 but 8gb aint enought for some projects [I paid BRL$12500 and now its up to 15k-17k even 26k here lol (1 BRL ~ 5,3 dolars so I paid about 2300, but better than 2700... It didnt arrive lower than $1800 here anyways.)]

4 hours ago, PedroBE said:

Yep, I'm buying slowly when I can, rushed to get the 3090 and mem before the price rises, I was running a 2070 but 8gb aint enought for some projects [I paid BRL$12500 and now its up to 15k-17k even 26k here lol (1 BRL ~ 5,3 dolars so I paid about 2300, but better than 2700... It didnt arrive lower than $1800 here anyways.)]

So would (and I’m asking not saying, I don’t know what things cost these days) it make sense then if you’re going to have two machines anyway to just buy some slower ram for the 2700 build and use it?  You wouldn’t have to deal with not getting things up to speed and you’ll be having to buy some anyway. 

23 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So would (and I’m asking not saying, I don’t know what things cost these days) it make sense then if you’re going to have two machines anyway to just buy some slower ram for the 2700 build and use it?  You wouldn’t have to deal with not getting things up to speed and you’ll be having to buy some anyway. 

Hmm, I'm sorry but I didnt understand what u meant by "You wouldn’t have to deal with not getting things up to speed and you’ll be having to buy some anyway."
I still have my old vga and ram kits tho, I'm just upgrading by bits till I buy the complete pc and can sell the old one. I've rushed to buy the vga and ram bcuz I was kinda in need of the new ones (the 2070 keeps it good for gaming but 3090 rocks at rendering) and I was using a 16gb ram kit and now a 32gb.
But i sincerely don't know if the extra pc will be of good use for me. I could probably use it, but I could get roughly 1000 dolars back by selling it. dunno...

5 hours ago, PedroBE said:

Hmm, I'm sorry but I didnt understand what u meant by "You wouldn’t have to deal with not getting things up to speed and you’ll be having to buy some anyway."
I still have my old vga and ram kits tho, I'm just upgrading by bits till I buy the complete pc and can sell the old one. I've rushed to buy the vga and ram bcuz I was kinda in need of the new ones (the 2070 keeps it good for gaming but 3090 rocks at rendering) and I was using a 16gb ram kit and now a 32gb.
But i sincerely don't know if the extra pc will be of good use for me. I could probably use it, but I could get roughly 1000 dolars back by selling it. dunno...

Re: why that bit doesn’t make sense

That may because it’s a solution arguably no better than the problem. Also it assumes some stuff which hasn’t happened yet and might not even work.

It’s a hack rather than a fix.  IF the problem is the machine is just too old and slow to use the new memory to best advantage,  AND you’re going to move the fast memory to a newer machine, the old one is still going to need memory.  Specifically old slow memory.  IF the old slow memory is cheaper (which it might not be in which case the whole thing explodes) it could make sense to just buy some old slow cheap memory to put in the old machine because you’re going to have to at some point anyway.  

If you’ve got the old memory for the thing that does work already, throwing it in might not hurt anything.   A hack rather than a fix. 

Edited by Bombastinator

• 2 weeks later...

Crazy story, I've been using xmp these days and some minutes ago I've tried just changing the multiplier leaving the xmp on, it worked! So I've kept the xmp on and made my overclocking, running 3200 cl 14 now haha (actually it should be slower, but I'm happy it's done lol)