Random freezing that keeps my very recently built PC unusable

Hello everyone, I would need your help to fix a problem on my PC. Before I begin to explain what is going on, I would like to say that I am not a native speaker so some sentences might not be clear. And I apologize in advance for this very long description.

PART 1: A quick description of the computer
-    Running Windows 10 Home 64-bit
-    Gaming is its main purpose
-    MB: Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite, BIOS version F20b
-    PSU: Corsair RM850x
-    CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K (liquid cooling)
-    RAM: Crucial DDR4-2666, 32 GB (4x8GB)
-    GPU: MSI GeForce RTX-3080 VENTUS 3X 10G OC
-    Storage: OS and games on separate M.2 SSDs (WD_BLACK SN750)
-    Nothing is overclocked
-    Every part was purchased brand new
-    Built in late December 2020

PART 2: What is going on?
The problem is, simply said, that my PC keeps freezing randomly. I cannot identify the source of it, hardware or software, and for the latter, Windows or any application. Everything suddenly stops and nothing responds anymore, mouse, keyboard or anything else. I have to shut the PC down the hard way by pressing and holding the power button. It appeared 10 days ago. Nothing new was installed or nothing changed before the problem began. Everything, before that, was perfectly working.
I have never had such a problem. Maybe I am missing the obvious.

PART 3: When does it happen?
Anytime, randomly. For instance, maybe not exhaustively:
-    1: At start of Windows after I typed my PIN or password. Immediately or not.
-    2: A few moments after that, when the PC is idle.
-    3: When I am exploring files in File explorer.
-    4: When I am downloading updates, running virus scan, or any similar action.
-    5: At the very moment I am typing my PIN to unlock my account.
-    6: When I am browsing the Web.
-    7: When I am watching a video, local file or streaming.
-    8: Just after POST when the logo of my motherboard maker appears, showing the Windows loading dotted wheel that stops spinning, or not showing it at all.
-    9: When I close a window, or click another tab in my web browser.
-    10: When I am playing games (at the time I was still able to).
-    …
There is no ranking in the frequency or chronology of occurrence for the examples above.
I did notice, though, that it happened more and more often and finally every time I use the computer now. 

I have already prepared a further description in which I wrote a list of what I would also like to try, and another of what I already tried with no results, but it might be better to keep the post short for now.
Thank you already for your time spent reading this post. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thomas

1 hour ago, Thomas D. said:

Hello everyone, I would need your help to fix a problem on my PC. Before I begin to explain what is going on, I would like to say that I am not a native speaker so some sentences might not be clear. And I apologize in advance for this very long description.

The problem is, simply said, that my PC keeps freezing randomly. I cannot identify the source of it, hardware or software, and for the latter, Windows or any application. Everything suddenly stops and nothing responds anymore, mouse, keyboard or anything else. I have to shut the PC down the hard way by pressing and holding the power button. It appeared 10 days ago. Nothing new was installed or nothing changed before the problem began. Everything, before that, was perfectly working.

-    1: At start of Windows after I typed my PIN or password. Immediately or not.
-    4: When I am downloading updates, running virus scan, or any similar action.
-    8: Just after POST when the logo of my motherboard maker appears, showing the Windows loading dotted wheel that stops spinning, or not showing it at all.
-    …
There is no ranking in the frequency or chronology of occurrence for the examples above.
I did notice, though, that it happened more and more often and finally every time I use the computer now. 

I have already prepared a further description in which I wrote a list of what I would also like to try, and another of what I already tried with no results, but it might be better to keep the post short for now.
Thank you already for your time spent reading this post. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thomas

The problem could well be software related, but only hardware is mentioned so hardware possibilities:

A 10850 and a 3080 is a lot of oomph and will suck a lot of power.  Both the cpu and gpu are known for occasional random heavy power draw.  I suppose it’s possible your PSU is having trouble keeping up. 
the reseating ram thing could also be a thing.  I’d say reset everything just to be sure.  One of this “can’t hurt” kind of things. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

40 minutes ago, Srijan Verma said:

tried re-seating the ram?

Hello, thank you for your reply.

Yes, I did try the re-seat the RAM modules in a different order. I also checked every module one by one on the first slot to use when seating RAM (which is DDR4_A2 on my motherboard model). The problem was still exactly the same. Random and unpredictable. Though, I did not try on the three other slots. 

Is that possible that memory slots are faulty? That would mean the motherboard is to be replaced?

24 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The problem could well be software related, but only hardware is mentioned so hardware possibilities:

A 10850 and a 3080 is a lot of oomph and will suck a lot of power.  Both the cpu and gpu are known for occasional random heavy power draw.  I suppose it’s possible your PSU is having trouble keeping up. 
the reseating ram thing could also be a thing.  I’d say reset everything just to be sure.  One of this “can’t hurt” kind of things. 

Hi. Thank you for your reply.

I am indeed suspecting a power issue, among other possibilities. My PSU provides 850 watts. Maybe that is just enough and leaves no space for any kind of unexpected power draw.

I will add an appendix to the initial description of the problem. What I did, what I am thinking about, that kind of ideas.

1 hour ago, Thomas D. said:

-    …

Thomas

As an addition to my first description:

PART 4: What did I already try to fix the problem?
Of course, the following did not fix the problem and maybe made it worse.
-    1: Tried System File Checker (sfc /scannow). It found some corrupted files that it repaired instantly. I tried several more times but everything seemed in order.
-    2: Tested the RAM memory through “mdsched.exe”. It found no issue.
-    3: Tested the RAM modules 1 by 1 on the same slot. The problem was still there.
-    4: Deleted temp files.
-    5: Adjusted the virtual memory in System > Advanced Settings > Performance
-    6: Updated drivers with DriverBooster. It found some old ones and updated them.
-    7: Updated the BIOS of my motherboard.
-    8: Cleaned thoroughly the inside of the computer case.
-    9: Inverted the position of the RAM modules (there are 4).
-    10: Wiped thermal paste off my CPU and applied some fresh new thermal paste.
-    11: Tried to “refresh” my PC through the Recovery utility in Settings. It kept freezing so it was impossible to perform it.
-    12: Tried to boot from the USB drive I used to install Windows, to find any utility that could be useful. Instant freeze (lit black screen) after I selected the USB drive in the boot options of the motherboard and launched it. I was able to launch it later and see the Windows installation screen, but still the computer froze.
-    13: Checked every cable connection inside the computer case.
Basically, I followed some ideas and suggestions reading guides on different websites. They somehow all offer similar solutions, that did not work for me.

PART 5: Theories that I have been thinking about and put in application, with no results:
-    1: Overheating. I am using a monitoring application installed on both my computer and my smartphone. Nothing unusual, it goes up to 60°C maximum for the CPU, while I am playing games on highest settings. I reapplied thermal paste anyway.
-    2: Faulty RAM modules. I ran tests and nothing seemed wrong (please see Part 4 – 2). 
-    3: Virus, despite all my precautions to avoid any risk. Such as never plugging USB drives that I plug to other computers (at my workplace for instance) or not downloading any unnecessary file or application to the purpose of that computer. It does not mean that I completely respect those precautions, though. I have Norton installed on the computer.
-    4: Faulty PSU. I tested it through 2 different testing devices. Nothing was wrong.
Maybe those theories above are somehow still relevant and I did not go far enough to solve the problem.

PART 6: Other theories that I am considering and that I would like to try after getting advice:
-    1: Faulty USB connected device such as keyboard or mouse. The ones I am currently using work without any issue on my other computer.
-    2: Faulty (bloat) software that automatically installs itself when connecting those USB devices mentioned above (e.g.: RGB controller software).
-    3: The RAM modules being actually causing trouble. They are very “low-end” compared to every other part of the computer. Maybe they just cannot match the overall performance. They are 19-19-19-46.
-    4: Motherboard issue. Maybe a RAM slot.
-    5: Games launchers, but they are set to not launch at Windows start. And in my understanding, it would not explain the freezing right after POST.
-    6: Microsoft Account. I use two computers. I built the new one, the very one that is the subject of this post, to play with better specs than what the old one can provide. The latter still works perfectly for other tasks than gaming. I have two different Windows 10 licenses. One for each of the computers, obviously. But registered with the same Microsoft Account and the same customer name. The freezing problem did not appear immediately but it is a lead as good as another for the time being.
-    7: Faulty or corrupted SSD. The one hosting the Windows files. It might also be “heated” by the GPU card since the latter blows out quite warm air straight to that M.2 SSD, which is placed right behind the GPU card.
-    8: The monitoring application that I am using (please see Part 5 – 1). Who knows? 
-    9: The Power supply unit being insufficient.
I did not explore those theories yet and I would like to hear your opinion about them.

An evident solution might be to take the computer to the vendor or maker. The problem is that I am the maker. I assembled it myself and that one is not my first. I could take the faulty part, if there is any, to the vendor, but I cannot identify which one requires to be replaced.

Thomas

I am currently waiting for the results of a RAM test. I used PassMark MemTest86 (version 9.0)

I will post those results later.

18 hours ago, Thomas D. said:

I am currently waiting for the results of a RAM test. I used PassMark MemTest86 (version 9.0)

I will post those results later.

Nothing wrong found during the test. I suppose the RAM is fine, as a part. But is it fine as an element of my computer...?

3 hours ago, Thomas D. said:

Nothing wrong found during the test. I suppose the RAM is fine, as a part. But is it fine as an element of my computer...?

If the ram is fine the ram is fine. There are more sensitive checks that can be done.  Memory checker programs don’t always catch subtle problems.  They take a long time though.  Basically you put one stick of memory in slot one and see if the problem goes away.  Each stick gets tried in turn.  Takes a while.  Memory could well be fine though.

Youve got enough of it which is the only thing I could see as a possible problem, and  not enough just generally means speed issues.  I suppose it could be in the wrong slots.  That can sometimes but not always cause an issue.  Generally you wan to fill alternating slots so 1, 1&3 or 1,2,3&4.  Sometimes 2&4 I guess.  Your motherboard manual will have an opinion that should be listened to.   The way troubleshooting generally works is you want to change only one thing at a time.  That way you have some idea what may have happened.  One by one you try solutions and make sure each part is known good.  You generally start with the easy cheap stuff and move on to more PITA things as required.  This is mostly to avoid the irritation of doing something hard and expensive when a simple cheap thing later turns out to be he actually problem.  This can sometimes be shortened if there is a known issue which makes a high likelyhood of a certain problem.  I don’t happen to see one but that doesn’t mean someone else won’t. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

If the ram is fine the ram is fine. There are more sensitive checks that can be done.  Memory checker programs don’t always catch subtle problems.  They take a long time though.  Basically you put one stick of memory in slot one and see if the problem goes away.  Each stick gets tried in turn.  Takes a while.  Memory could well be fine though.

Youve got enough of it which is the only thing I could see as a possible problem, and  not enough just generally means speed issues.  I suppose it could be in the wrong slots.  That can sometimes but not always cause an issue.  Generally you wan to fill alternating slots so 1, 1&3 or 1,2,3&4.  Sometimes 2&4 I guess.  Your motherboard manual will have an opinion that should be listened to.   The way troubleshooting generally works is you want to change only one thing at a time.  That way you have some idea what may have happened.  One by one you try solutions and make sure each part is known good.  You generally start with the easy cheap stuff and move on to more PITA things as required.  This is mostly to avoid the irritation of doing something hard and expensive when a simple cheap thing later turns out to be he actually problem.  This can sometimes be shortened if there is a known issue which makes a high likelyhood of a certain problem.  I don’t happen to see one but that doesn’t mean someone else won’t. 

Hello again, thank you for your advice. I will indeed try each of the theories that I have been thinking about. 

The next step will be to try each of the 4 RAM modules on each of the 3 RAM slots that I did not checked already. At least, I will be sure that RAM is not the issue. 

In the same way, I will give a chance later to a new PSU, more powerful (maybe 1000W+), to fix the problem if the RAM is not in fault. I am planning to buy a new PSU for another computer. If the PSU is not faulty, I will use it on my old PC and have a new stronger one for the PC (the one that is not working). 

I will post the results after I checked every RAM combination possible.

Thank you again

@Bombastinator 

Hi. A quick update about the situation.

I tried different configurations of RAM, until the problem was solved. That was 8GB (one module) only, but it did work. I was able to download, update, watch videos, launch a full set of web pages, everything at the same time. Everything went fine. I even could play games (I tried just a few moments). Then, I tried another RAM configuration to identify the faulty module or slot. And the problem came back. I returned to that last configuration, when everything worked so great, but the problem was still there. I cannot understand.

I took off the graphic board to check if it would work without it, in the case of power draw causing the issue. I did not change anything. So I guess that neither the graphic board nor the PSU was guilty.

In addition, I deleted a few inessential applications such as monitoring application but nothing changed.

Could it be something wrong with the motherboard? Is Windows 10 faulty? This is discouraging...