Build on strict budget

BoredPhoenix

the whole argument upgrade path is a bit misleading, I don't see anyone who already buy R5/i5 CPU today will upgrade the CPU in next2/3 year,

Once the R5/i5 already too slow I believe there will be something more powerful, cheaper, more energy efficient with far better feature than let's just say 5950x

9 hours ago, AnirbanG007 said:

Dude, AMD first gen processors don't have a good IPC for gaming. I wouldn't recommend it, except for the 1600AF which is basically a 2600. Either go with a 3000 series Ryzen, or a 10th gen Intel, and as a second plan, you could go with Ryzen 2000 series, no problem.

He has an $800 budget. You can only do so much with that. Sure it would be great to go with a Ryzen R5 5600X or i5 10600K but the budget won't allow that. A 1600AF is good enough for a gaming pc to get someone started. You can always drop a better cpu in later on.

6 hours ago, heickelrrx said:

the whole argument upgrade path is a bit misleading, I don't see anyone who already buy R5/i5 CPU today will upgrade the CPU in next2/3 year,

Once the R5/i5 already too slow I believe there will be something more powerful, cheaper, more energy efficient with far better feature than let's just say 5950x

Not misleading at all. There are always people selling pc hardware as they want the latest thing. Or if the op gets some more money in the future for upgrading he can buy a Ryzen 5000 cpu as prices would be lower by the time AM5 is out. It will be cheaper than having to buy a new board and Ram assuming we are on DDR5 then.

39 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

He has an $800 budget. You can only do so much with that. Sure it would be great to go with a Ryzen R5 5600X or i5 10600K but the budget won't allow that. A 1600AF is good enough for a gaming pc to get someone started. You can always drop a better cpu in later on.

Please read what I said, I never did NOT recommend the 1600 AF.

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

8 hours ago, heickelrrx said:

this would make since if you buying in the dark but we are not. if you got a 1600af today.

which is a perfectly fine CPU. then in 2 or 3 years you upgrade to a 5600x. it would a 30%+ improvement without a motherboard swap. not to mention there are better CPUs that you could upgrade to that's still available. I do agree that on the Intel side its probably not worth it.