Build on strict budget

BoredPhoenix

Hi guys, I'm looking to build a PC for fairly cheep as I don't have a job or big allowance. so I have compiled a list and I was wondering if there are any compatibility issues. here's the list let me know if i should make some changes:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF Processor with Wraith Stealth

Motherboard: ASUS Prime A320M-K AM4 mATX Motherboard

Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (8GBx2) 2666MHz DDR4 Desktop RAM - Black

Hard drive: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Case: Aerocool Shard-G-BK-v1 RGB Tempered Glass Mid Tower Case

Cpu cooler: Aerocool Core Plus ARGB PWM 4P CPU Cooler

Graphics card: MSI GeForce GT 1030 Low Profile OC 2GB Graphics Card 

Power supply: Thermaltake Litepower 500W

EDIT: for those asking the pc will be for gaming and making youtube videos, and I live in australia

EDIT 2: thanks for help guys, I will come back in the future when I'm ready to buy a pc. have a great day

35 minutes ago, FlareHawkGaming said:

Hi guys, I'm looking to build a PC for fairly cheep as I don't have a job or big allowance. so I have compiled a list and I was wondering if there are any compatibility issues. here's the list let me know if i should make some changes:

Could you please mention a budget for your build? I might be able to make some tweaks here and there then.

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

11 minutes ago, AnirbanG007 said:

Could you please mention a budget for your build? I might be able to make some tweaks here and there then.

sure, the budget is around $800 but I want to spend the least possible but still have a fairly good pc.

56 minutes ago, FlareHawkGaming said:

sure, the budget is around $800 but I want to spend the least possible but still have a fairly good pc.

I built this system for you, as you can see some of the components are missing. Feel free to swap out your psu and case with the ones you chose.

For the GPU, I'd go with the RX 5500XT. It is a good value for the price, or you could go look into the second hand market for a last gen more powerful GPU, I have no idea how prices are, but you could always ask if a particular GPU you found second hand is a good value for the price before buying it.

Also, for a core i3, you don't need an aftermarket cooler, unless you need lesser noise or something. The stock cooler will do a very good job with it.

If the RAM you chose is cheaper than what I found go for it, as it will run at 2666 Mhz anyway.

I omitted an HDD figuring you could always buy one, later, if you have tons of media to store. I went with this Nvme drive, because it's similar in price to good performing SATA SDD's but has faster performance because of it using the Nvme protocol.

PS: You might have already guessed but I ignored peripherals in this budget, so if you put them in this list, I'd stick with a good 450W PSU instead of 500, which would have been better for future upgradability.

2 hours ago, narrdarr said:

_202102210108.jpg

Why are you suggesting the R5 2600 for $191 ? The R5 3600 is $199.99 or the R5 1600AF is $177.99. An APU would be the obvious choice but they are overpriced as well at the minute.

That board is terrible. An ASRock B450/M Pro 4 would be better.

Why does he need a 750W Gold rated psu ? A low end system would be fine on a 450W.

Also no gpu included. 

3 hours ago, FlareHawkGaming said:

What Country are you in ? Also what is the pc being used for ?

4 hours ago, FlareHawkGaming said:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($150.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B460-PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($122.49 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($77.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($42.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($42.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($74.98 @ Amazon) 
Total: $567.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-21 06:54 EST-0500

I left about 240$ left on this build, try to get the best Video card you can get right now

Generally Speaking 10400F behave like 3600 most of the time, 

7 hours ago, FlareHawkGaming said:

Everything is compatible with each other but there's a lot that needs to be changed:

• The power supply unit is a pretty crappy one. Refer to the PSU tier list for more information.
  • The motherboard is not good. It is barely enough to use the full potential of that 6-Core processor. You can get a much better one for not that much more.
  • There's no SSD and without one your PC will feel sluggish no matter how powerful other components are.
  • The chassis has poor airflow because of the closed off front. I suggest watching GamersNexus chassis reviews to know what makes a good chassis.
  • The graphics card is only a bit better than integrated ones so there's no point of buying it.
  • You should pick a faster memory kit. It only costs a few dollars more in most cases and Ryzen processors really benefit from it.
2 hours ago, heickelrrx said:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($150.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B460-PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($122.49 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($77.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($42.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($42.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($74.98 @ Amazon) 
Total: $567.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-21 06:54 EST-0500

There is no need for the more expensive 3200MHz memory, since it will only run on 2666MHz at most with Core i5-10400F and B460 chipset motherboard. You can also pick a cheaper motherboard and with that money get a faster SSD that has two times the capacity, e.g. Silicon Power A80 (512 GB). And I would choose the Corsair CX550 power supply. It's quite a bit better than the Cooler Master one and at the moment it's even cheaper.

I also picked the processor with the integrated graphics because its not that much more expensive and OP will be able to use his PC while hunting for a graphics card (which can take quite a while).

5 hours ago, lee32uk said:

Why are you suggesting the R5 2600 for $191 ? The R5 3600 is $199.99 or the R5 1600AF is $177.99. An APU would be the obvious choice but they are overpriced as well at the minute.

That board is terrible. An ASRock B450/M Pro 4 would be better.

Why does he need a 750W Gold rated psu ? A low end system would be fine on a 450W.

Also no gpu included. 

I didn't that as I was penny pinching. 

trying to leave as every extra dollar for GPU.

2600 is fine and pair with a b450 leaves a path upgrade path to 3000 or 5000 series CPUs in future when prices drop.

I personally wouldn't go with Intel build. far to limiting for future upgrades 

3 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

I didn't that as I was penny pinching. 

trying to leave as every extra dollar for GPU.

2600 is fine and pair with a b450 leaves a path upgrade path to 3000 or 5000 series CPUs in future when prices drop.

What I mean is the R5 2600 is bad value at that price. The R5 1600AF is cheaper and is basically the same cpu, or you can pay $8 more and get the R5 3600. 

Just now, lee32uk said:

What I mean is the R5 2600 is bad value at that price. The R5 1600AF is cheaper and is basically the same cpu, or you can pay $8 more and get the R5 3600. 

I completely agree with you. when I looked the the af did pull up. the 3600 is a better choice, but as I said I was penny pinching so every extra dollar can be used for a better gpu .  like a gtx 1070 or something 

10 hours ago, lee32uk said:

What Country are you in ? Also what is the pc being used for ?

just edited the post to awnswer those questions

4 hours ago, narrdarr said:

could you get a list of parts for an AMD pc?

35 minutes ago, FlareHawkGaming said:

could you get a list of parts for an AMD pc?

i already posted one. you'll just have to find A GPU. they are all overpriced so picking 1 maybe tough. but something like a gtx 1070. You can also swap the 2700 for 3600 for only a couple dollars or a get a 1600af to get  a little bit more room for your gpu budget.

15 hours ago, AnirbanG007 said:

I built this system for you, as you can see some of the components are missing. Feel free to swap out your psu and case with the ones you chose.

For the GPU, I'd go with the RX 5500XT. It is a good value for the price, or you could go look into the second hand market for a last gen more powerful GPU, I have no idea how prices are, but you could always ask if a particular GPU you found second hand is a good value for the price before buying it.

Also, for a core i3, you don't need an aftermarket cooler, unless you need lesser noise or something. The stock cooler will do a very good job with it.

If the RAM you chose is cheaper than what I found go for it, as it will run at 2666 Mhz anyway.

I omitted an HDD figuring you could always buy one, later, if you have tons of media to store. I went with this Nvme drive, because it's similar in price to good performing SATA SDD's but has faster performance because of it using the Nvme protocol.

PS: You might have already guessed but I ignored peripherals in this budget, so if you put them in this list, I'd stick with a good 450W PSU instead of 500, which would have been better for future upgradability.

would this build be good/work?

53 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

i already posted one. you'll just have to find A GPU. they are all overpriced so picking 1 maybe tough. but something like a gtx 1070. You can also swap the 2700 for 3600 for only a couple dollars or a get a 1600af to get  a little bit more room for your gpu budget.

would this be a good pc

1 hour ago, FlareHawkGaming said:

would this be a good pc -snip-

The Ryzen 5 2600 doesn't have integrated graphics, so you will need a dedicated graphics card that will most likely blow the budget

7 hours ago, narrdarr said:

I don't think so. There has been leaks of AM5, and if OP is willing to keep their CPU for years, then I think that it's fine to go Intel. I think future upgrades are not really a big decisive factor now.

@FlareHawkGamingCan you please specify if the budget mentioned is AUD or USD?

Also, if you are willing to go used, you might be able to snag better deals depending on your area.

25 minutes ago, dotnex said:

The Ryzen 5 2600 doesn't have integrated graphics, so you will need a dedicated graphics card that will most likely blow the budget

I don't think so. There has been leaks of AM5, and if OP is willing to keep their CPU for years, then I think that it's fine to go Intel. I think future upgrades are not really a big decisive factor now.

@FlareHawkGamingCan you please specify if the budget mentioned is AUD or USD?

Also, if you are willing to go used, you might be able to snag better deals depending on your area.

around $800 aud, there is no set price just around there would be nice, so should i go for the intel?

Best I can come up with, and a bit over budget. The 4GB version of the RX 570 is cheaper, but not sure how it affects performance.

Also no idea on prices in Aus, so some of these parts might be overpriced.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (12nm) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($185.00 @ Centre Com) 
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($85.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($89.00 @ PC Byte) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($68.00 @ Centre Com) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 8 GB PULSE ITX Video Card  ($268.80 @ Device Deal) 
Case: Deepcool MATREXX 55 MESH ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($103.40 @ Newegg Australia) 
Case Fan: Deepcool XFAN 44.71 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($4.80 @ Device Deal) 
Total: $862.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-22 12:57 AEDT+1100

11 minutes ago, FlareHawkGaming said:

around $800 aud, there is no set price just around there would be nice, so should i go for the intel?

If you can snag it cheaper than the 2600/1600 AF (12nm), go for it. Although beware, budget b460 intel motherboards only support up to 2666mhz ram. This can be a dealbreaker, so make sure to compare price to performance including motherboard prices.

TBH, I would recommend waiting a few weeks or even months to build a new PC. Unless you can find a good deal on a graphics card, I recommend just waiting a few weeks. (for prices to hopefully stabilize a little bit)

15 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Best I can come up with, and a bit over budget. The 4GB version of the RX 570 is cheaper, but not sure how it affects performance.

Also no idea on prices in Aus, so some of these parts might be overpriced.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (12nm) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($185.00 @ Centre Com) 
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($85.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($89.00 @ PC Byte) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($68.00 @ Centre Com) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 8 GB PULSE ITX Video Card  ($268.80 @ Device Deal) 
Case: Deepcool MATREXX 55 MESH ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($103.40 @ Newegg Australia) 
Total: $862.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-22 12:57 AEDT+1100

looks great, i may go with that, btw I already have some ram from my current pc, (16gb) should i use those sticks or buy more? they are 8gb each.

3 hours ago, FlareHawkGaming said:

looks great, i may go with that, btw I already have some ram from my current pc, (16gb) should i use those sticks or buy more? they are 8gb each.

Dude, AMD first gen processors don't have a good IPC for gaming. I wouldn't recommend it, except for the 1600AF which is basically a 2600. Either go with a 3000 series Ryzen, or a 10th gen Intel, and as a second plan, you could go with Ryzen 2000 series, no problem.

13 hours ago, FlareHawkGaming said:

I don't know if you remember, but this processor was my og choice, I swapped it out to reduce costs. This processor and GPU combo is good if you plan on upgrading your GPU soon(from a gaming perspective it is unbalanced), however if your tasks are mainly CPU dependent this is a good build, and will obviously be a faster than an i3.

If you want a more balanced build for now and/or your focus is gaming, you'd be better off a with a more powerful GPU such as a 1650 super, and using an i3, this will be a perfect combination, with only virtually no bottleneck at 1080p (which is very good). Also, going second hand would give you better gpu's.

Another thing, please use an SSD as your boot drive, a hard disk will severely bottleneck the entire system, and it will NOT be a good experience. I'd recommend the Crucial MX500, or the SN550 which I mentioned, is faster, and probably has almost the same price in Australia. I'd recommend the 500 gb version so that you can buy a hard disk later when you have the budget for it, and store your media files there. Or if you can afford it, you could go for a 250 gb ssd and however big hdd you want right now. That being said, I personally would recommend against a 250 gb ssd as it costs too much wrt price/gb.

Also, yes, you could reuse your old RAM from your current PC, I don't know their speeds, but having lower speeds will severely affect your system performance if your going with Ryzen, but not so much, or not at all, if you're on Intel.

Having 2666 RAM is not a dealbreaker for Intel, it is okay for an i3 or i5 or even i7 when used along with a b460 motherboard, considering the fastest ram speed is probably 2933 on b460. Intel doesn't rely on fast memory as much as ryzen does. Even going 3000+ Mhz with a z490 wouldn't give you too much of a tangible performance boost in games or anything, in correlation with the price you'd be paying for those memory and motherboard.

Lastly, the reason I'm recommending Intel, is because at the lower end of the market, this is a better deal than similarly prices ryzen processors, Intel has more performance than 1600 or 2600 and is similar to the 3600 which is costlier, and don't worry about upgradability as AMD will soon change to AM5 socket, and it will be the same story there too. The most you could go with a ryzen would be a 5000 series in the future, which is great depending on what processor you would go for right now.