Making my own Linus personal rig

Go to solution Solved by brob,

Optical Thunderbolt 3 cables can provide the needed distance. Presumably a decent hub/docking station can provide the needed connectivity at the user end.

Budget (including currency): 30000 EUR

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Office Workstation

Other details:

Hi guys!

I'm planning on redoing my entire office, we're talking new PCs, monitors and pheripherials for 7 desks in a medical clinic (so no high spec gaming components needed).

Having limited space and planning on a minimalistic setup I remembered Linus's personal rig that is tucked away in his server room. I watched the videos, the 2015 upgrade and the latest refresh but I still can't figure out everything I need to make this work. The distance between the server and the furthest office is around 30-40m (~115ft) (probably, I haven't decided on the final location yet)

Question is: What are the actual components I need to get this to work? And is it worth the hustle?

Looking forward to read your responses! 🙂

Not worth the complexity.

Depending on the software being run you might consider all-in-one systems. Alternatively, companies like Lenovo, Dell, and HP usually offer small form factor office systems. Most of these can mount behind or under the monitor.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, theFNG said:

Budget (including currency): 30000 EUR

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Office Workstation

Other details:

Hi guys!

I'm planning on redoing my entire office, we're talking new PCs, monitors and pheripherials for 7 desks in a medical clinic (so no high spec gaming components needed).

Having limited space and planning on a minimalistic setup I remembered Linus's personal rig that is tucked away in his server room. I watched the videos, the 2015 upgrade and the latest refresh but I still can't figure out everything I need to make this work. The distance between the server and the furthest office is around 30-40m (~115ft) (probably, I haven't decided on the final location yet)

Question is: What are the actual components I need to get this to work? And is it worth the hustle?

Looking forward to read your responses! 🙂

You can buy all in one systems like Lenovo one which will be strong enough for your kind of work for 1k - 1.1k per piece.

Even buisness desktops are pretty small in dimensions and they go for like 500-800 euros,and will be more then sufficient for your needs.

Keyboard and mouse,even basic one will be ok,if you wana really go all out look at Logitech MX keys and Logitech mx master 3 mouse.They are excellent quality,nice to type on,quiet.Each of mouse and keyboards are about 80-95 euros.

Overall for 9000 euros you can buy everything you need,even less if you buy cheaper mouse and keyboard( i belive most of pc come with free mouse and keyboard).

I like AIO systems, but when it comes to upgradability and repairability they suck. In a few years I'd have to buy all new systems instead of just swapping out an old or broken part. Back to the rack mounted PCs now?

On 2/21/2021 at 2:23 AM, theFNG said:

I like AIO systems, but when it comes to upgradability and repairability they suck. In a few years I'd have to buy all new systems instead of just swapping out an old or broken part. Back to the rack mounted PCs now?

I think you have an idealized view of remotely located system units. The architecture is actually more complex than a more usual small business network in that it includes equipment to handle the more distant than spec monitor, mouse, and keyboard communications.

Regardless of the architecture one will be faced with failing parts and the need for upgrades. 

Consider creating a WiFi network using inexpensive basic business workstations. In two years replace 20% - 25% of the units. Do the same every year there after. This spreads out replacement/upgrade costs and reduces the chances of failure due to age.

On 2/22/2021 at 6:03 PM, brob said:

I think you have an idealized view of remotely located system units. The architecture is actually more complex than a more usual small business network in that it includes equipment to handle the more distant than spec monitor, mouse, and keyboard communications.

Regardless of the architecture one will be faced with failing parts and the need for upgrades. 

Consider creating a WiFi network using inexpensive basic business workstations. In two years replace 20% - 25% of the units. Do the same every year there after. This spreads out replacement/upgrade costs and reduces the chances of failure due to age.

First off, sorry for the long reply times! We're in different time zones afterall.

Thanks for the response!

I actually prefer building lots of PCs (even if they're workstations with no RGB) it's something I have experience at and it would surely be a hell of a lot cheeper. But I wanted this project to also be a challange.

Initial cost is not a problem, we are planning on using non-refundable EU funding to cover everything. Plan involves including UPS power backups and high capacity NAS in RAID for most storage needs, outside data backup, we already have high speed fibre internet access and at most there would be 2-3 people working simultanious at any time.

My only actual problem is how to breach the distance.

Anything that brakes down the road shouldn't be much of a problem.

Optical Thunderbolt 3 cables can provide the needed distance. Presumably a decent hub/docking station can provide the needed connectivity at the user end.