New PC Build, Can not get into BIOS in any way.

OnePoint

Hello. 😃

Finished my new build (MSI B550-PRO-A, 3700X) and booted up perfectly. Since I used my SSD from my prev. build, I was planning to reformat the whole thing anyway.

Now the problem..

I can not get into BIOS in anyway. I do not even get a MSI splash logo with instructions how to enter bios or boot from device. It just boots straight into Windows. On the prev. build it showed the Asrock splash logo and so on..

Tried updating the bios with the flashback button, but the red light just stays on and the motherboard does not turn on (As it should per youtube guides).

I am now lost. Has anyone any ideas what to do?

Thank you!

8 minutes ago, OnePoint said:

Hello. 😃

Finished my new build (MSI B550-PRO-A, 3700X) and booted up perfectly. Since I used my SSD from my prev. build, I was planning to reformat the whole thing anyway.

Now the problem..

I can not get into BIOS in anyway. I do not even get a MSI splash logo with instructions how to enter bios or boot from device. It just boots straight into Windows. On the prev. build it showed the Asrock splash logo and so on..

Tried updating the bios with the flashback button, but the red light just stays on and the motherboard does not turn on (As it should per youtube guides).

I am now lost. Has anyone any ideas what to do?

Thank you!

Clear the CMOS. Can be done by removing the battery for about a minute and putting it back in. Make sure the computer is power off the psu switch is at the off position. Next time you boot up you will be greeted with the message to press F1 to continue to setup. Please note that this will also reset any settings you have already put into the BIOS. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

7 minutes ago, Analog said:

Clear the CMOS. Can be done by removing the battery for about a minute and putting it back in. Make sure the computer is power off the psu switch is at the off position. Next time you boot up you will be greeted with the message to press F1 to continue to setup. Please note that this will also reset any settings you have already put into the BIOS. 

Will try that. I Have not been able to access the BIOS from the first post/boot of the new motherboard.

Thank you!

To gain access to the bios via windows, do the following.

Frist load windows then bring up the troubleshooter by holding down the shift key while going start menu > power > restart. Keep the shift key held in while it restarts to the troubleshooter.

Once in the troubleshooter, go troubleshoot > advanced options > uefi firmware settings > restart

From there the computer will reboot straight into the bios, automatically. Once in the bios, look for and disable fast boot. That's what's causing it to skip past the bios screen.

17 minutes ago, OnePoint said:

Will try that. I Have not been able to access the BIOS from the first post/boot of the new motherboard.

Thank you!

From Windows hold down your left shift key then with shift still held click Start > Power > Restart. A sidebar will appear, click Troubleshooting > Advanced > UEFI Firmware.

Your PC should reboot and load into UEFI without you needing to touch anything. To stop this behaviour turn off Fast Boot.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Digideath said:

Frist load windows then bring up the troubleshooter by holding down the shift key while going start menu > power > restart. Keep the shift key held in while it restarts to the troubleshooter.

Once in the troubleshooter, go troubleshoot > advanced options > uefi firmware settings > restart

From there the computer will reboot straight into the bios, automatically. Once in the bios, look for and disable fast boot. That's what's causing it to skip past the bios screen.

Jinx 😛

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

19 minutes ago, Digideath said:

18 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

From Windows hold down your left shift key then with shift still held click Start > Power > Restart. A sidebar will appear, click Troubleshooting > Advanced > UEFI Firmware.

Your PC should reboot and load into UEFI without you needing to touch anything. To stop this behaviour turn off Fast Boot.

Tried the CMOS method nothing (Same when I turned on the PC for the first time - a cycle trough the all debug leds then straight into windows logon screen with no loading windows thingy).

Tried going to BIOS trough Windows and It just restarts and then the monitor goes black (keyboard light on thou).

2 minutes ago, OnePoint said:

Tried the CMOS method nothing (Same when I turned on the PC for the first time - a cycle trough the all debug leds then straight into windows logon screen with no loading windows thingy).

Tried going to BIOS trough Windows and It just restarts and then the monitor goes black (keyboard light on thou).

Monitor or TV? HDMI or DP?

Monitor. Usually DP,  but just right now tried with HDMI, same. No error debug leds on. Keyboard and mouse lights are on.

What's the monitor you have?

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

What's the monitor you have?

Its a ViewSonic XV3276-QHD

Just now, OnePoint said:

Its a ViewSonic XV3276-QHD

Weird, that should have no issues. I think the BIOS screen is showing but you're not seeing it because the monitor isn't getting the correct signal from the GPU.

Could you test the PC on another monitor (or even a TV) to see if the BIOS shows?

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Weird, that should have no issues. I think the BIOS screen is showing but you're not seeing it because the monitor isn't getting the correct signal from the GPU.

Could you test the PC on another monitor (or even a TV) to see if the BIOS shows?

I have a spare 24'' LG monitor. I will test it and report back the findings.

17 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Its all the same with other monitor. Now I am confused. Everything works when I get into Windows, no problems. Just can't see Windows loading and splash screen. Now Im really lost. 

14 minutes ago, OnePoint said:

Its all the same with other monitor. Now I am confused. Everything works when I get into Windows, no problems. Just can't see Windows loading and splash screen. Now Im really lost. 

Unplug the primary drive that you have the OS on and then try to boot up. Since there is no primary drive you should get a message stating that no boot drive has been found prompting you to go to press a particular key to enter BIOS. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

45 minutes ago, Analog said:

Unplug the primary drive that you have the OS on and then try to boot up. Since there is no primary drive you should get a message stating that no boot drive has been found prompting you to go to press a particular key to enter BIOS. 

Blank screen, boot debug led turns on.

11 minutes ago, OnePoint said:

Blank screen, boot debug led turns on.

What CPU & GPU are in the board?

17 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

What CPU & GPU are in the board?

Ryzen 3700X and AMD Sapphire RX 580 - 8GB

9 minutes ago, OnePoint said:

Ryzen 3700X and AMD Sapphire RX 580 - 8GB

That's actually interesting. One of my friends also has a Sapphire RX 580 and it just outright refuses to work in EFI boot mode. I've tried my GPU in his system, EFI boot mode works. I've put his GPU in my system, EFI boot mode doesn't work.

It doesn't do what yours is doing though, it shows BIOS fine but as soon as you disable CSM in BIOS the machine goes into a reboot cycle then POST's in safe mode and complains about a GPU UEFI-GOP issue. GPUz shows its running the latest BIOS and is compatible with UEFI booting, for whatever reason the thing simply refuses to work.

I wonder if its a bug in the Sapphire GPU BIOS?

14 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

That's actually interesting. One of my friends also has a Sapphire RX 580 and it just outright refuses to work in EFI boot mode. I've tried my GPU in his system, EFI boot mode works. I've put his GPU in my system, EFI boot mode doesn't work.

It doesn't do what yours is doing though, it shows BIOS fine but as soon as you disable CSM in BIOS the machine goes into a reboot cycle then POST's in safe mode and complains about a GPU UEFI-GOP issue. GPUz shows its running the latest BIOS and is compatible with UEFI booting, for whatever reason the thing simply refuses to work.

I wonder if its a bug in the Sapphire GPU BIOS?

So this is actually GPU related? Switching motherboars will be useless then?

19 minutes ago, OnePoint said:

So this is actually GPU related? Switching motherboars will be useless then?

It could be yes, I'd be very interested to know if another GPU fixed your issue. It would validate my suspicion that its a VGA BIOS issue.

35 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

It could be yes, I'd be very interested to know if another GPU fixed your issue. It would validate my suspicion that its a VGA BIOS issue.

Oh well. Im outta luck then. I don't have a spare gpu to test.

50 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Also updated the BIOS to the most recent, no change. Will email MSI or Sapphire if they have any idea about this problem. @Master Disaster and @Analog Thank you for the all help and replies.

@Master Disaster- I got a spare  low-end Nvidia GPU to test.. And got into BIOS almost instant also seeing the splash logo and windows loading. So its a GPU issue.