Ryzen 9 5900x cooling issues.

Santipro
Go to solution Solved by CommanderAlex,
9 hours ago, Santipro said:

Hey so first off, thanks for the reminder haha. 🙂
I've never used HWinfo64 before but according to what I can see the Voltages seem to be fluctuating as seen here.

Am I not getting something here?

Looks like the cores are boosting to +1.4V when at 4.4GHz. That might be why the idle temps are high. Also as @Sky7734said, these chips can be power hungry out of the box but with some tuning to lower those voltages at high frequencies, should resolve the high idle temp (and also high temps under load if experiencing the same). As long as you feel coolant moving through the AIO tubes (one hotter than the other) and feel a vibration from the pump spinning, the AIO should be working. Are you sure its also not a bad mount of the AIO on the CPU?

Hey there,

I'm running a Ryzen 9 5900x with a Corsair Hydro H110 and am facing high idle temps (50°C+) unless my fans ramp up.
Is this an issue with my CPU or the the H110 just not made for modern CPUs and their high TDPs?

I have no experience with hardware past 2016 so I'm very rusty when it comes to estimations.

OS: Windows 10 Pro | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D | CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H110 | Mainboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E | RAM: 2x 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @3600MHz | GPU: Inno3D GeForce GTX 980 iChill X4 Air Boss Ultra | Main SSD: 1TB Corsair MP600 NVME | SSD1: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD | SSD2: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD | HDD1: WD Green 1000GB | HDD2: WD Green 2TB | PSU: Corsair AX860 | Mouse: Logitech G Pro Wireless | Keyboard: Logitech G513 | Headset: Logitech G933 | Monitors: ASUS ROG PG248Q & LG 29UM65-P

5900x is a very power hungry chip and thus outputs a lot of heat. I would try and change some settings in the BIOS so when its under very light loads it underclocks itself and doesn't output as much heat. Your AIO could also be broken.

Do you know what voltages the cores are set at?? It might be pinned at the max frequency and causing a constant voltage to be applied to the cores. Check in HWinfo64 under VIDs to see what they are. 

On a side note, don't forget to update your signature 😉😉(under Account Settings when you click on your username in the top right).

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

10 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Do you know what voltages the cores are set at?? It might be pinned at the max frequency and causing a constant voltage to be applied to the cores. Check in HWinfo64 under VIDs to see what they are. 

On a side note, don't forget to update your signature 😉😉(under Account Settings when you click on your username in the top right).

I've never used HWinfo64 before but according to what I can see the Voltages seem to be fluctuating as seen here.

OS: Windows 10 Pro | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D | CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H110 | Mainboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E | RAM: 2x 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @3600MHz | GPU: Inno3D GeForce GTX 980 iChill X4 Air Boss Ultra | Main SSD: 1TB Corsair MP600 NVME | SSD1: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD | SSD2: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD | HDD1: WD Green 1000GB | HDD2: WD Green 2TB | PSU: Corsair AX860 | Mouse: Logitech G Pro Wireless | Keyboard: Logitech G513 | Headset: Logitech G933 | Monitors: ASUS ROG PG248Q & LG 29UM65-P

36 minutes ago, Sky7734 said:

5900x is a very power hungry chip and thus outputs a lot of heat. I would try and change some settings in the BIOS so when its under very light loads it underclocks itself and doesn't output as much heat. Your AIO could also be broken.

dont think the AIO is broken. might have to look at some bios settings indeed. thanks!

9 hours ago, Santipro said:

Looks like the cores are boosting to +1.4V when at 4.4GHz. That might be why the idle temps are high. Also as @Sky7734said, these chips can be power hungry out of the box but with some tuning to lower those voltages at high frequencies, should resolve the high idle temp (and also high temps under load if experiencing the same). As long as you feel coolant moving through the AIO tubes (one hotter than the other) and feel a vibration from the pump spinning, the AIO should be working. Are you sure its also not a bad mount of the AIO on the CPU?

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Even with a -.075v offset I get similar results with a Kraken Z63 cooler.  the 5900x just runs hot at idle.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

1 hour ago, SpiderMan said:

yes, i'm quite confident on that. i will lower the voltage and see what happens. i appreciate the help!