Spontaneous black screen and restart (no BSOD)

IsmetGS
Go to solution Solved by Applefreak,
29 minutes ago, IsmetGS said:

sorry was rushing to get it written out before my PC crashes hahah,

Yes so Temps are all completely fine, highest CPU temps during stress test is 86c after a long time so i assume no issue there, GPU temps are at 76c after extended gaming time (Sometimes 81 on a stupid game like star citizen) 

CPU is in AMDs Auto OC setting, removing it seems to make no difference but even if it did shouldn't auto OC function without issue?

The Auto OC setting is a motherboard thing that OCs the CPU. The stock AMD thing is called Precision Boost. I would not sue Auto OC unless your system is otherwise completely stable. Strange thing is that your system crashes in idle. I'd reinstall the OS after formatting the drive first (make backups!!!) to rule out OS and driver issues. 

I am guessing the PSU is new as well, so we can should be able to rule that one out as well unless it makes hissing and clicking noises during operation. Could also be one of your hard drives that is acting up but first I would reinstall Windows to rule that out.

Before you do that, try uninstalling any system tools you have running in the background like LED stuff for example. Those also have drivers that can act up. You can check Windows Task Scheduler for tasks that run periodically and may have been active the last time it crashed (take a note with date and time the next time it crashes). Also check the Windows Error Logs in Event Viewer.

So my PC randomly goes into a black screen followed by a reboot (sometimes it doesn't reboot and stays black with the DRAM LED lit on the MB but I changed the RAM yesterday and its still doing this 😕)

What's strange is it never happens underload when gaming or stress test, only when in idle or doing minor tasks such as work or browsing chrome.

Specs:

CPU: AMD 5800X 

RAM: GSkillz Trident Z 32GB 3600mhz (Newly installed yesterday as i thought it was a ram issue due to DRAM LED but clearly isn't as issue persists)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC

MB: Asus Strix x570-F

PSU: Corsair RM750W

All these parts have been bought by retailers (surprisingly tbh idk how i managed that) and not scum scalpers, so they are not 2nd hand or anything like that. Parts seem to have no physical damage that I can see.

Is there a way to find a error code or logs to see where the failure is?

Any help would be appreciated/

Thank you

6 minutes ago, IsmetGS said:

So my PC randomly goes into a black screen followed by a reboot (sometimes it doesn't reboot and stays black with the DRAM LED lit on the MB but I changed the RAM yesterday and its still doing this 😕)

What's strange is it never happens underload when gaming or stress test, only when in idle or doing minor tasks such as work or browsing chrome.

Specs:

CPU: AMD 5800X 

RAM: GSkillz Trident Z 32GB 3600mhz (Newly installed yesterday as i thought it was a ram issue due to DRAM LED but clearly isn't as issue persists)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC

MB: Asus Strix x570-F

PSU: Corsair RM750W

All these parts have been bought by retailers (surprisingly tbh idk how i managed that) and not scum scalpers, so they are not 2nd hand or anything like that. Parts seem to have no physical damage that I can see.

Is there a way to find a error code or logs to see where the failure is?

Any help would be appreciated/

Thank you

Are you overclocking anything? Also CPU and GPU temps may help.

9 minutes ago, Poet129 said:

Are you overclocking anything? Also CPU and GPU temps may help.

Yes so Temps are all completely fine, highest CPU temps during stress test is 86c after a long time so i assume no issue there, GPU temps are at 76c after extended gaming time (Sometimes 81 on a stupid game like star citizen) 

CPU is in AMDs Auto OC setting, removing it seems to make no difference but even if it did shouldn't auto OC function without issue?

23 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

I'd put everything to 100% stock and see if the issue remains.  First things first.

Will keep you posted, thank you guys for helping 

29 minutes ago, IsmetGS said:

The Auto OC setting is a motherboard thing that OCs the CPU. The stock AMD thing is called Precision Boost. I would not sue Auto OC unless your system is otherwise completely stable. Strange thing is that your system crashes in idle. I'd reinstall the OS after formatting the drive first (make backups!!!) to rule out OS and driver issues. 

I am guessing the PSU is new as well, so we can should be able to rule that one out as well unless it makes hissing and clicking noises during operation. Could also be one of your hard drives that is acting up but first I would reinstall Windows to rule that out.

Before you do that, try uninstalling any system tools you have running in the background like LED stuff for example. Those also have drivers that can act up. You can check Windows Task Scheduler for tasks that run periodically and may have been active the last time it crashed (take a note with date and time the next time it crashes). Also check the Windows Error Logs in Event Viewer.

2 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Legend, will get right on these 

So after no OC at all even PBO, the random black screens/reboots have seemed to stop, but one issue remains and that is after extended work session (4 hours) the whole pc just freezes forcing me to force shutdown, very strange. Might have to RMA the 5800x 😕 

I suspect its the PCIE SSD, see if you can install the OS on a different SSD and try if the error repeats.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: it was AMDs auto OC setting, so strange because it would function flawlessly under load but crash constantly when idling that’s why I didn’t expect it to be the OC. I’m new to AMD so i don’t know if this is a common symptom for unstable OC but that was the issue, PBO still enabled and everything is now running fine. Thank you to everyone that helped!

• 3 months later...
On 3/4/2021 at 2:45 AM, IsmetGS said:

Update: it was AMDs auto OC setting, so strange because it would function flawlessly under load but crash constantly when idling that’s why I didn’t expect it to be the OC. I’m new to AMD so i don’t know if this is a common symptom for unstable OC but that was the issue, PBO still enabled and everything is now running fine. Thank you to everyone that helped!

ANOTHER UPDATE: Issue came back. CPU RMA'd with new replacement. No issues so far, about 2-3 weeks in. Such a shame my first AMD CPU had to be RMA'd.