Gpu mining.

bruh11111

Hi.

I recently managed to snag a 3060 ti, and i currently have exams so it's just sitting there until i finish them.

How bad is cryptocurrency mining to gpus ? Will it die in 2 months or so ? Or can I run it to mine a bit and make some bucks instead of it just sitting there.

Airflow on the card is good.

80+ gold efficiency psu.

Will I be able to use the pc while mining ? For college work and stuff nothing heavy on the gpu at all.

Mining is basically like you're gaming 24/7, so your GPU will not break instantly. When your temps are fine it shouldn't damage your GPU.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

yeah you can set an undervolt and an aggressive fan curve in msi afterburner. my card is happily mining at 50C all day while I'm working. and yes you can also do stuff, like youtube and basic office stuff while mining.

2 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Mining is basically like you're gaming 24/7, so your GPU will not break instantly. When your temps are fine it shouldn't damage your GPU.

Ye but I heard it heavily hits the vram , and especially since I have an FE i heard those have vram issues on the 3080 , not sure if it's the same on the 3060 ti.

Your system will act as if you're gaming 24/7 at maximum GPU usage.

This will obviously affect the GPU's life.

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

yeah you can set an undervolt and an aggressive fan curve in msi afterburner. my card is happily mining at 50C all day while I'm working. and yes you can also do stuff, like youtube and basic office stuff while mining.

Hmmm agressive fan curve meaning it will be slightly loud might have issues while studying.

I'll see what I can do , thanks man

2 minutes ago, bruh11111 said:

Hmmm agressive fan curve meaning it will be slightly loud might have issues while studying.

my gtx 1660 is sitting at 700mv, +850 memory clock and 60% fixed fan curve and that keeps it pretty quiet and at 50C

4 minutes ago, Rym said:

Your system will act as if you're gaming 24/7 at maximum GPU usage.

This will obviously affect the GPU's life.

I don't really mind , i can get its value back in 2 months of mining , and maybe when stock stabilizes like 4 5 months from now maybe even buy a better one like a 3070 ti.

5 minutes ago, bruh11111 said:

You don't really need an agressive fan curve. There are underclock guides for mining available which will drastically reduce power draw and temperatures. My 6800 XT is mining at a core clock of 1500 at 1100 rpm fans (AMD reference) and board power is 170W-173W. If you use a -500 core clock offset, you'll cut temperatures by A LOT. The core will still be used, but actual hashrate is not improved by overclocking or reduced by underclocking.

A friend of mine has a 3070 Suprim which runs at 30% fan speed at 55°C with -500 core clock and +1200 memory clock.

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

my gtx 1660 is sitting at 700mv, +850 memory clock and 60% fixed fan curve and that keeps it pretty quiet and at 50C

Dam , 700 mv ? 0.7 V only , that's an agressive undervolt , wonder if I can get such a thing with this Ampere card , i don't know how good they are at undervolting

1 minute ago, Naijin said:

You don't really need an agressive fan curve. There are underclock guides for mining available which will drastically reduce power draw and temperatures. My 6800 XT is mining at a core clock of 1500 at 1100 rpm fans (AMD reference) and board power is 170W-173W. If you use a -500 core clock offset, you'll cut temperatures by A LOT. The core will still be used, but actual hashrate is not improved by overclocking or reduced by underclocking.

I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for the info !

Just now, bruh11111 said:

Dam , 700 mv ? 0.7 V only , that's an agressive undervolt , wonder if I can get such a thing with this Ampere card , i don't know how good they are at undervolting

well, core clocks are down as well, but core clocks don't really matter for mining, only memory clocks. so yeah, just find what's stable, even if it's 800mV, it's still going to be quite easy to cool.

3 minutes ago, bruh11111 said:

I don't really mind , i can get its value back in 2 months of mining , and maybe when stock stabilizes like 4 5 months from now maybe even buy a better one like a 3070 ti.

Ahem, is mining THAT profitable? I thought a 3060 ti could pull maybe 60$ a month if fully used for mining 24/7?

1 minute ago, Rym said:

Ahem, is mining THAT profitable? I thought a 3060 ti could pull maybe 60$ a month if fully used for mining 24/7?

24/7 with a 3060-ti? Could go up to 230-250 USD a month with ETH right now, that's the reason there's such low stock and high prices. (not including electricity)

2 minutes ago, Rym said:

Bro , bitcoin is 52k usd , mining has never been this profitable , even with my expensive 0.18$/kwh ,3060 ti  can pull 6.4$ of pure profit/day.

2 minutes ago, bruh11111 said:

Bro , bitcoin is 52k usd , mining has never been this profitable , even with my expensive 0.18$/kwh ,3060 ti  can pull 6.4$ of pure profit/day.

you'd be mining ETH, not bitcoin, though. but yes, my 1660 brings in $80 per month at the current ETH prices, so the 3060ti should do at least double, if not more.

5 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

you'd be mining ETH, not bitcoin, though. but yes, my 1660 brings in $80 per month at the current ETH prices, so the 3060ti should do at least double, if not more.

Idk i just went on nicehash and checked things out , I'm very new to this crypto stuff.

It said I'd be mining BTC not ETH. Idk

Aw, I checked with nicehash's calculator, seems my GPU would pull 50 cents a day 😂

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 9:35 AM, Rym said:

GPU mining isn't so hard on your GPU as you think it is. GPUs aren't cars, the silicon doesn't break down or degrade. Yeah the fans might clog us with dust just etherium mining for example barely touches your core and only mainly uses your VRAM. The only way a GPU can die from mining is overheating, power issues or a defective GPU dyeing. NiceHash calculator is not accurate at all and it shouldn't be used as an evaluation tool of the market. Websites like whattomine.com are the most accurate GPU profitability calculators there is.

If cards died in 2 months no one would have a gpu. 

Watch a YouTube video on setting card up. If you only want to pull the money out once a month or couple weeks you have a lot of options. Just setting up trex miner. 

Or use nicehash and get regular payouts, which is better for a single card. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 2/18/2021 at 6:31 PM, Naijin said:

A friend of mine has a 3070 Suprim which runs at 30% fan speed at 55°C with -500 core clock and +1200 memory clock.

I have my 6800XT running at 881mv, max 1400 MHz on the core and 2100 MHz for the memory. 
Just out of interest, how much do you make a day with your 6800 XT?

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

9 hours ago, Bobbysixjp said:

I have my 6800XT running at 881mv, max 1400 MHz on the core and 2100 MHz for the memory. 
Just out of interest, how much do you make a day with your 6800 XT?

It depends. I've had a few good days where I could make 8 EUR but right now it's lower at about 4.5 EUR. I'm also not mining 24/7, I mine when I'm at work so about 9 hours a day at around 62-63 MH/s