multimonitor display question

jeremymwilson

Hi, I want to add two 24 inch monitors to my 29 inch 1080p ultrawide.

My current monitor  is an LG 29WN600 - IPS, 2560x1080, 75 hz and 5 ms response time.

I want the two new monitors to also be IPS and I'm staying with LG so they have the same look.

How important is it that they have the same response time and refresh rate when it comes to playing games? 

Also, I have a 2080 super, how well do you think this setup will perform playing WOW and Forza Horizon 4?

Thanks for any advice.

Love not hate

3 minutes ago, jeremymwilson said:

Hi, I want to add two 24 inch monitors to my 29 inch 1080p ultrawide.

[...]

How important is it that they have the same response time and refresh rate when it comes to playing games? 

If you're only going to game on the middle (29") display, it's not important at all.

4 minutes ago, jeremymwilson said:

Also, I have a 2080 super, how well do you think this setup will perform playing WOW and Forza Horizon 4?

Again, assuming you'll only use the 29" 2560x1080 monitor for gaming, very well.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

If you're only going to game on the middle (29") display, it's not important at all.

Again, assuming you'll only use the 29" 2560x1080 monitor for gaming, very well.

Sorry, should have explained better. For playing WOW, I'll probably just stick with the 29 inch. for playing Forza I'll want to use all three.

Would different response times cause a problem in Forza?

Love not hate

18 minutes ago, jeremymwilson said:

Sorry, should have explained better. For playing WOW, I'll probably just stick with the 29 inch. for playing Forza I'll want to use all three.

Would different response times cause a problem in Forza?

In that case, you'd want the same input lag.

The reason I say "input lag" and not "response time" is because the response time is part of the input lag.

Response time is one of those things that can be measured in a bunch of different ways, like gray to gray (GtG), white to black, etc. so it's difficult to see what the manufacturer used.

Best is to use an independent website, which measured the input lag of the monitors in question.

I have never tried surround gaming with multiple monitor of different resolutions, so I can't confirm/deny if that works well, be sure to look out for that.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, minibois said:

In that case, you'd want the same input lag.

The reason I say "input lag" and not "response time" is because the response time is part of the input lag.

Response time is one of those things that can be measured in a bunch of different ways, like gray to gray (GtG), white to black, etc. so it's difficult to see what the manufacturer used.

Best is to use an independent website, which measured the input lag of the monitors in question.

I have never tried surround gaming with multiple monitor of different resolutions, so I can't confirm/deny if that works well, be sure to look out for that.

great, I'll check this out, thanks

Love not hate