Optimizing R9 295x2 for mining

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,

How are you making money on a 295? That thing was barely profitable when it came out you have free electricity? If so more power to you.

Also about ocing the 295x2. DO NOT. Simply put unless this is custom loop watercooled DO NOT OC that thing will die as that air water hybrid cooler is just enough. So don't push it and leave it be as it's literally already on the edge of it's temp limit at stock.

If you want more money you need a stronger more efficient card ocing them often makes them worse for profit instead of better as they start consuming a lot more power for not much more performance.

I recently picked up a used R9 295x2 in great condition and I have got it in my rig for mining. I got it on a dedicated 850 psu and I am running lolMiner on nicehash. I feel like I am not generating the kind of hash rate I was anticipating. Right now each gpu is doing about 10Mhash and together they make me about $3 a day. I was hoping I could get closer to twice that but I cant seem to get much out of it by overclocking. I have the memory at 1400Mhz stable and pushing it to 1600 causes one of the gpus to give up. If I cant get the numbers up I will probably sell it and get another 1070 which can make more at a third the power draw. Does anyone have any experience with this card? There is very little in the way of literature or videos covering mining on this card in particular.

How are you making money on a 295? That thing was barely profitable when it came out you have free electricity? If so more power to you.

Also about ocing the 295x2. DO NOT. Simply put unless this is custom loop watercooled DO NOT OC that thing will die as that air water hybrid cooler is just enough. So don't push it and leave it be as it's literally already on the edge of it's temp limit at stock.

If you want more money you need a stronger more efficient card ocing them often makes them worse for profit instead of better as they start consuming a lot more power for not much more performance.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

From what I can tell given its power draw it costs me about 80 cents a day and it makes about $3. Given this I will probably sell it and find something more conventional on the used market. I've found that 1060s seem to make about as much anyway

2 minutes ago, Kd4lif3 said:

From what I can tell given its power draw it costs me about 80 cents a day and it makes about $3. Given this I will probably sell it and find something more conventional on the used market. I've found that 1060s seem to make about as much anyway

Damn that is surprisingly ok. Normally that card would be a negative gain.

Just now, jaslion said:

Damn that is surprisingly ok. Normally that card would be a negative gain.

Yeah I think it is just because my power is so cheap where I am. its like $0.05/KWh USD.

1 minute ago, Kd4lif3 said:

Yeah I think it is just because my power is so cheap where I am. its like $0.05/KWh USD.

Yeah no wonder you are making money off of a normally unprofitable card :p.