Work PC Keeps BSOD'ing

Garrzilla
Go to solution Solved by Aree Soothsayer,

Hrm. Two things come to mind. One, your ram is throwing errors which corrupts the data flow. Two your M.2 is doing that directly so the loaded data is corrupted and fails badly. With the crashes coming from different sources each time this leads to memory failure or massive failure in the M.2 drive.

Quick way to narrow the error to one or the other is to boot from another drive.

My work PC is custom built, no issues till this morning. I woke my PC from sleep and instantly got hit with BSOD with Memory Management code. I shrug it off, reboot and keep going. After 15 mins I get a second, this time SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. I googled it, tried a few things from this site: Driver Verifier Tool, CHKDSK, and sfc /scannow. I also updated Windows to 20H2, and reseated my memory.

Didn't help, and now when I get BSOD, it crashes so fast I can't even see what error code it is. I luckly was recording the screen with my phone, and again it was SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION.

Any ideas?

9 minutes ago, Garrzilla said:

My work PC is custom built, no issues till this morning. I woke my PC from sleep and instantly got hit with BSOD with Memory Management code. I shrug it off, reboot and keep going. After 15 mins I get a second, this time SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. I googled it, tried a few things from this site: Driver Verifier Tool, CHKDSK, and sfc /scannow. I also updated Windows to 20H2, and reseated my memory.

Didn't help, and now when I get BSOD, it crashes so fast I can't even see what error code it is. I luckly was recording the screen with my phone, and again it was SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION.

Any ideas?

Are you using an M.2 SSD as boot drive?

3 minutes ago, Aree Soothsayer said:

Try reseating the drive.

Ok, will do.

Just got another BSOD and before it crashed I saw something along the lines of VIDEO MEMORY MANAGEMENT. Going to take out my gpu if reseating the m.2 doesnt work

1 hour ago, suha04 said:

Are you using an M.2 SSD as boot drive?

1 hour ago, Aree Soothsayer said:

Try reseating the drive.

I reseated the M.2, and removed the GPU. I just got these 2 BSODs back to back...

spacer.png

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Garrzilla said:

I reseated the M.2, and removed the GPU. I just got these 2 BSODs back to back...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Gotta catch em all

spacer.png

Hrm. Two things come to mind. One, your ram is throwing errors which corrupts the data flow. Two your M.2 is doing that directly so the loaded data is corrupted and fails badly. With the crashes coming from different sources each time this leads to memory failure or massive failure in the M.2 drive.

Quick way to narrow the error to one or the other is to boot from another drive.

1 hour ago, Aree Soothsayer said:

So you think its hardware, either RAM or M.2 that is faulty? I updated a bunch of drivers, and have been good for a bit. If it happens again, I can swap my RAM with my other computer. I built 2 identical systems, so RAM is easiest swap.

*Edit: Add another to the list "IRQL_not_less_or_equal". Also, I've noticed signing into Windows and other things like opening Task Manager take longer than usual now. I will try the RAM swap now.

3 hours ago, Aree Soothsayer said:

I don't want to jinx myself, but it was the RAM. I swapped the RAM with my other PC, and BSOD instantly. Tested 1 stick at a time and found the faulty one. Going to order more. Thank you for your help!

16 minutes ago, Garrzilla said:

I don't want to jinx myself, but it was the RAM. I swapped the RAM with my other PC, and BSOD instantly. Tested 1 stick at a time and found the faulty one. Going to order more. Thank you for your help!

My pleasure.