GT 1030 Black Screen When Connected in Mobo

ninjaboyxd629
Go to solution Solved by papajo,

The issue (assuming the the graphics card is working) is that the output of your 1030 is digital (dvi-D) 

Your mobo and monitor have VGA which is analogue. 

So when you connect the monitor to the mobo it works. 

When you connect the graphics to the monitor it doesnt work because your adapter is for for DVI-A or  DVI-I which can give an analog signal. 

To confirm that watch the GT 1030's DVI output and see with which one of the following it  matches 

what-is-a-dvi-d-cable.jpg

I bet it matches to one of the DVI-D variants. 

The solution to that is either to change your monitor (or look if your monitor has other inputs other than VGA e.g HDMI or something else) 

Or to get yourself an active adapter e.g https://www.amazon.co.uk/Active-DVI-D-Adapter-Benfei-Female/dp/B07D3XZ9SD (note that it must have "active" in its name to work) 

But before that check that the GPU is working by bringing your PC to your cousin and connect it to the monitor or bringing the graphics card and test it in your cousins computer. 

But I think it does work since that would also explain why you have to take the card off in order for the monitor to work once you connect the cable back to the motherboard (the motherboard found a working GPU on PCIe and set that as default display adapter if the graphics card would not work it probably would not switch the default graphics to the PCIe but that's not always the case) 

my cousin gave me a gt 1030 because he bought a new graphics card and i have a problem with it if i connect it in mobo my monitor is just black screen i used adapter vga to dvi because i dont have a cable when the vga is not connected in monitor(connected on mobo) it still doesnt work the only way to escape black screen is by removing the gt 1030 from the mobo any idea how to fix it?

2 minutes ago, ninjaboyxd629 said:

i used adapter vga to dvi

what adapter are you currently using?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, lexusgamer05 said:

You need to plug the monitor in to the GPU, not the motherboard

i tried that when i connect the monitor to the gpu its black screen and if i connect it in motherboard it should work right i mean both should work but it still black screen either way

3 minutes ago, ninjaboyxd629 said:

does the GT 1030 have a DVI port that can use this?

please specify the model

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, lexusgamer05 said:

motherboard connections are for integrated graphics

~so it will only ever use one at a time, not both.

Just now, lexusgamer05 said:

The adapter might be your problem

But it should only work if it's plugged into the GPU. The motherboard connections are for integrated graphics

i think the adapter is not the problem because its always black screen if i connect the graphics card in motherboard even if i didnt connect the monitor to the card

1 minute ago, lexusgamer05 said:

Sorry I don't really understand what you're trying to say

Can you test the adapter on a device you know is working?

i tried it on the card on a different pc and the adapter both is working

2 minutes ago, ninjaboyxd629 said:

wdym?

7 minutes ago, ninjaboyxd629 said:

if i connect it in motherboard it should work right i mean both should work but it still black screen either way

No, if there's a GPU in the system it will try to output only via the card.

Reset CMOS? (remove the watch battery for a few minutes)

Just now, Sp4gh3tti said:

No, if there's a GPU in the system it will try to output only via the card.

Reset CMOS?

ill try later because im downloading rn

Did you test the whole cable or just the adapter?

anyway if someone doesnt understand my problem ill try to say it easier because im not good at english 

if i connect the gpu on the motherboard it shows no signal then black screen i waited for 5 mins its still black screen, and if the monitor is connected to the card and its still black screen and if i connect the monitor on the mobo its still black screen if i connect the monitor on the mobo it should use the integrated right? not the gt 1030

2 minutes ago, lexusgamer05 said:

Maybe your motherboard is faulty?

i tried it with another card but its working 

2 minutes ago, Sp4gh3tti said:

Did you test the whole cable or just the adapter?

both my cable is vga to vga so i used the adapter too

The issue (assuming the the graphics card is working) is that the output of your 1030 is digital (dvi-D) 

Your mobo and monitor have VGA which is analogue. 

So when you connect the monitor to the mobo it works. 

When you connect the graphics to the monitor it doesnt work because your adapter is for for DVI-A or  DVI-I which can give an analog signal. 

To confirm that watch the GT 1030's DVI output and see with which one of the following it  matches 

what-is-a-dvi-d-cable.jpg

I bet it matches to one of the DVI-D variants. 

The solution to that is either to change your monitor (or look if your monitor has other inputs other than VGA e.g HDMI or something else) 

Or to get yourself an active adapter e.g https://www.amazon.co.uk/Active-DVI-D-Adapter-Benfei-Female/dp/B07D3XZ9SD (note that it must have "active" in its name to work) 

But before that check that the GPU is working by bringing your PC to your cousin and connect it to the monitor or bringing the graphics card and test it in your cousins computer. 

But I think it does work since that would also explain why you have to take the card off in order for the monitor to work once you connect the cable back to the motherboard (the motherboard found a working GPU on PCIe and set that as default display adapter if the graphics card would not work it probably would not switch the default graphics to the PCIe but that's not always the case)