Virus Help!

NerdNinja

Ok so what comes with the new bios? All I need is something to restore the laptop to factory defaults. System restore wont let us because the drive is corrupted

So it lets you run .exe's but doesn't let you into the BIOS? Before you do that I'd try running Combofix at least. If you just want to be totally done with it download a new ISO onto a flash drive or DVD and just re-install completely.

the new version is 2.30. if you click on it and read the changelog it will tell you. but there is no restore option that i see but im ganna go research for you really quick because every laptop iv owned had a restore option. like Acer that keeps a backup iso of the original copy of windows so if you need to it can reinstall it for you.

Yea that's what we really need. I think the bios version this one has is like 1. somethin so it's old.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

So it lets you run .exe's but doesn't let you into the BIOS? Before you do that I'd try running Combofix at least. If you just want to be totally done with it download a new ISO onto a flash drive or DVD and just re-install completely.

yea. My dad is having me run something from windows that I predict won't work but well see. Combofix is my next go and after that safe mode with cmd prompt and after that system restore ( if it will allow me to) and then the new bios.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Yea that's what we really need. I think the bios version this one has is like 1. somethin so it's old.

alright so try that lol. and i recomend updating to windows 8.1 or something. so get an iso of it and burn it to a flash drive with ultraISO or something. then install the new os. then buy a key or see if anyone here has an extra one laying around. and id install the new bios anyway just because it will fix a lot of issues

Game On :)

yea. My dad is having me run something from windows that I predict won't work but well see. Combofix is my next go and after that safe mode with cmd prompt and after that system restore ( if it will allow me to) and then the new bios.

Alright, and just to give you some tips with Combofix, you may as well try running in safe mode the first time, there will be less to interfere with it I'd imagine and disable your anti-virus (or even better, uninstall it, I personally think AVG is crap) or else Combofix will get cranky.

Alright, and just to give you some tips with Combofix, you may as well try running in safe mode the first time, there will be less to interfere with it I'd imagine and disable your anti-virus (or even better, uninstall it, I personally think AVG is crap) or else Combofix will get cranky.

ok. the windows scan isn't even half done and there are over 100 infected files. Probably from all the malware he's got on that thing.

ok. the windows scan isn't even half done and there are over 100 infected files. Probably from all the malware he's got on that thing.

thats not good. if an important system file is infected and cant be fixed its either deleted or thrown in the virus chest so if thats the case then the computer might not even run good or at all even after the viruses are removed. if thats what hapens to you then id be looking for a new windows iso right about now. my pc had 4 infected system files that couldnt be fixed and the virus software ended up throwing them in the chest and my pc took a while to boot, the thing would freeze all the time and everything would go black randomly so i ended up reinstalling windows. so just be careful and really prey thats not the case.

thats not good. if an important system file is infected and cant be fixed its either deleted or thrown in the virus chest so if thats the case then the computer might not even run good or at all even after the viruses are removed. if thats what hapens to you then id be looking for a new windows iso right about now. my pc had 4 infected system files that couldnt be fixed and the virus software ended up throwing them in the chest and my pc took a while to boot, the thing would freeze all the time and everything would go black randomly so i ended up reinstalling windows. so just be careful and really prey thats not the case.

I've been at my dad to get a new laptop or let me fix and clean things but he doesn't believe that I know how. He'd rather leave it to the "professionals" and by that I mean places like the geek squad. We don't have a windows install disk and the recovery disk we got does not work. I think this laptop might finally be dead in the water but we'll see.

How is still operating without it's source files?

i've heared that some of the more advanced ones can back themselves up in other files, then download and repair themselves when the computer connects to the internet

OPERATION BUNNYGAMER: 

PC:

case: inwin GRone black   PSU: corsair RM750   mobo: MSI Z87-G45 gaming   CPU: i5 4670K @4,0GHz  CPU-cooler: corsair H100i   RAM: corsair vengeance pro 2x8GB 1866MHz CL9   GPU: 2x MSI n770 TF 2GD5/OC @1,300/3,760GHz   SSD: samsung 840 EVO 120GB (S.M.A.R.T enabled)   HDD: 2x WD green 2TB (going RAID 0 next win-install)   CD: asus DRW-24F1ST    OS: windows 8.1   monitor: asus VN247H & dell 1703FP  additional cooling: 2x140mm inwin fans, 3x140mm inwin red led fans, 4x140mm bitfenix spectre pro red led fans, 2x120mm stock h100i fans, 2x120mm corsair sp120 red led  
  OTHER: 
mouse: madcatz M.M.O 7   keyboard: madcatz S.T.R.I.K.E 7 & logitech G13   headset: razer tiamat 7.1 elite   speakers: logitech Z906 5.1 surround   gadgets: USB fridge  :P

i've heared that some of the more advanced ones can back themselves up in other files, then download and repair themselves when the computer connects to the internet

I'm assuming that's what happened. Or it decided to lay low for a while.

Combofix works the best, I have had this a few times and Combofix was the only thing that worked.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

I've been at my dad to get a new laptop or let me fix and clean things but he doesn't believe that I know how. He'd rather leave it to the "professionals" and by that I mean places like the geek squad. We don't have a windows install disk and the recovery disk we got does not work. I think this laptop might finally be dead in the water but we'll see.

you might be right. it seems to be old as a pc and maybe you just need an upgrade. you cant just keep a pc for 8 years and never clean it. especially with vista. things are bound to happen. vista is heavy and runs computers hot. then throw in 8 years of dust its like trying to use a skateboard in the sand. everything clogs up. but yea. let us know how it does

If the recovery disk get a new OS key and download the .iso files to a usb drive and reinstall or you could get a linux distro and install something like Wine.

If the recovery disk get a new OS key and download the .iso files to a usb drive and reinstall or you could get a linux distro and install something like Wine.

The thing is he needs outlook. If we reinstall windows he'll have to buy it and that's pretty expensive. also I don't think he'd be a big fan of me installing Linux. assuming I could figure it out because i've never even touched that os

The thing is he needs outlook. If we reinstall windows he'll have to buy it and that's pretty expensive. also I don't think he'd be a big fan of me installing Linux. assuming I could figure it out because i've never even touched that os

Do you have an outlook key? If so just use that.

Do you have an outlook key? If so just use that.

Nope no key. I don't think they give you that when you buy computers from best buy or wherever he bought it I don't even remember.

Nope no key. I don't think they give you that when you buy computers from best buy or wherever he bought it I don't even remember.

I see no solution other than getting an OS upgrade disk and have it keep Outlook or getting a new system.

there are many outlook alternatives. linux is the best os if you know what your doing. but i think you get a outlook key free if you buy windows 8 pro or whatever

I see no solution other than getting an OS upgrade disk and have it keep Outlook or getting a new system.

Probably gonna get a new system. Even if I do end up getting this fixed he's been planning on a replacement for a while.

there are many outlook alternatives. linux is the best os if you know what your doing. but i think you get a outlook key free if you buy windows 8 pro or whatever

Well I fit was my computer I'd maybe try linux but it's my dads and he's about as tech savy as a rock.

Do you have another computer you can use, just to download software?

Check out this guide:

http://forums.anvisoft.com/viewtopic-54-4227-0.html

Don't get a new system, if its only a software problem like this. I mean unless you really want to, its your money. 

You can also reinstall the OS. I think Microsoft offers Windows 7 and Windows 8 ISO's for download on their site, for free. Just make sure you download the version, download the same Windows Version that you have installed now, and Windows Should detect your key after you install it. Since im almost positive that your Product activation Key is stored into the mobo, and not on the HDD.  

Ultimate 900D Build - Build Log (In Progress) - TheTechGenius MODs

Probably gonna get a new system. Even if I do end up getting this fixed he's been planning on a replacement for a while.

Well I fit was my computer I'd maybe try linux but it's my dads and he's about as tech savy as a rock.

lol yea i have my windows 8.1 gaming pc and then i have my little acer netbook running kali linux. i love kali becaus its made for people like programmers, and security testers. so if i ever need to recover passwords from my pc or a friend iv got that option to do so. i always do a complete tear down of each pc once a month to clean all the parts out. and every week i go though my c drives and clean out undeleted and junk files from places. like i have a folder in my c drive called program files 86x and when i uninstall programs i have to go delete the extra files there as well. it keeps my pc clean and fast. also i use avast because its free, and it lets me run what i like to without being a jerk like norton would haha.

It is quite easy to figure out what product key you are using. There are programs that can display your Office and Window product keys that you can use to re-install them if you choose to re-install Windows. 

Well thanks for the info guys! Surprisingly the windows scan fixed the PC and now my dad is like "It works fine now and that's good enough for me" although he did let me go through and delete/uninstall any malware or adware. I still think the virus is in there and I guess well find out in the future assuming we haven't replaced the thing by then.

I've removed these before, boot into safe mode with command prompt.  In command prompt type explorer.exe to start windows explorer and click start, click all programs and find the startup folder.  If theres a random program in there (make sure to ask us if your unsure) delete it as it could be the ransomware.  Make sure you've got hidden folders and files on and go to appdata (of your user account) and clear your whole temp folder as the ransomware is usually sitting in your temp folder.  Also check program data for random files too. 

Next step is cleaning out your registry, open regedit as administrator and go to HKEY_Current_User > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Run.  Check the run folder for things that are the virus (make sure to ask us of anything your not sure about).

Now reboot the system, Now please run MalwareBytes Anti-malware and make sure its up to date, also run Kaspersky TDSS killer.  Just to make sure its all gone and there are no rootkits on  the system. 

You can also use Kaspersky Rescue disk to scan, but to do it you need a disk or USB drive and a working computer connected to the internet. 

Hope this helps :)

This isn't the first time it has happened. The virus is a worm that has escaped our antivirus before (free avg) and has just returned from laying dormant. 

:o I'm involved with AVG, please tell me.  What version are you running, have you got all shields enabled and is it running default settings?  The FBI moneypak ransomware is an old peice of malware and should have been caught if AVG was configured at defaults and up to date.  I would not think it would be from staying dormant, as ransomware shuts down the computer and makes a startup entry as soon as it touches the system, I would think it would be passed through wifi, malicious download or a zero day drive by download.