Virus Help!

NerdNinja

Fbi moneypak virus

Windows vista laptop

Toshiba Satellite A215-s5837

No restore/windows disk

Can't restore to factory defaults

can currently use it normally

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Have you ran any anti virus software?

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

Ive only encountered this issue on xp, turns out the solution i know doesnt work on vista. let me doa  virtual machine, if it goes well i should be able to sort it out in a few hours and ill show you how i did it.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

This is above the control of any anti virus/malware software, even malwarebytes fails to detect it however the chaemeleon addon with malwarebytes helps a bloody ton.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

This isn't the first time it has happened. The virus is a worm that has escaped our antivirus before (free avg) and has just returned from laying dormant. 

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Fbi moneypak virus

Windows vista laptop

Toshiba Satellite A215-s5837

No restore/windows disk

Can't restore to factory defaults

can currently use it normally

if you can still do stuff with the laptop like downloading and running exes then get combofix and run that, alternatively use another computer to get combofix, burn it to a cd and run it that way, if that works then this was a simple issue, i cant begin to explain however many times ive forgotten the basics.

Combofix = Tank

free avg= pistol with low ammo

Listen if you care.

Have any backups to restore from?

No :( My dad isn't the best with this stuff cus he doesn't want to spend 60 bucks to have people do it.

if you can still do stuff with the laptop like downloading and running exes then get combofix and run that, alternatively use another computer to get combofix, burn it to a cd and run it that way, if that works then this was a simple issue, i cant begin to explain however many times ive forgotten the basics.

Combofix = Tank

Well if I can convince my dad I'll give it a go

Combofix = Tank

Finally, someone else who realizes the awesomeness of Combofix :D Also I'd recommend booting it up to safe mode and running combofix there. Also I'd recommend running Malwarebytes and uninstalling AVG and getting Avast free, then do a scan with that (do a boot time scan if you have a lot of time to spare).

Finally, someone else who realizes the awesomeness of Combofix :D Also I'd recommend booting it up to safe mode and running combofix there. Also I'd recommend running Malwarebytes and uninstalling AVG and getting Avast free, then do a scan with that (do a boot time scan if you have a lot of time to spare).

Well assuming save mode workers. I think the stupid thing evolved and will shut the computer down if we try to enter safe mode or BIOS

dont thank me, thank tech-vets, that podcast, just wow ive learn a crazy amount from it. I wouldnt be even close if i didnt listen to that 

Listen if you care.

Well assuming save mode workers. I think the stupid thing evolved and will shut the computer down if we try to enter safe mode or BIOS

Can a virus shutdown the computer if you enter the BIOS? I didn't know that was possible.

Can a virus shutdown the computer if you enter the BIOS? I didn't know that was possible.

I guess.... and it is SO FRUSTRATING RRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess.... and it is SO FRUSTRATING RRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

What if you flashed the bios with something different?

What if you flashed the bios with something different?

Uhhhhh........... I don't know how to to that.........

Uhhhhh........... I don't know how to to that.........

Look up a tutorial because I don't know how to do that either.

Have you gotten this virus before?

Look up a tutorial because I don't know how to do that either.

Have you gotten this virus before?

Yea the little bugger must have went dormant after we deleted some of it's source files. Now it's ack for more

if you have a friend with a desktop and a windows disk then just take out your hdd and have him format it and defragment it a few times and then have him install windows on it by using the disk or have him make a disk with his os. make sure you back up images and important files first. or possibly try booting into safe mode with command prompt and do msconfig and look for the virus and uncheck it.

Game On :)

Yea the little bugger must have went dormant after we deleted some of it's source files. Now it's ack for more

How is still operating without it's source files?

How is still operating without it's source files?

I don't know maybe it re downloaded then. I meant the virus files not the os files.

if you have a friend with a desktop and a windows disk then just take out your hdd and have him format it and defragment it a few times and then have him install windows on it by using the disk or have him make a disk with his os. make sure you back up images and important files first. or possibly try booting into safe mode with command prompt and do msconfig and look for the virus and uncheck it.

No other computer and there is nothing on there that he would want to save except maybe his 584884938543575 favorites on ie

Edit: No other computer except our office one running windows 98....

here are the bios for your pc. if you want to change the bios just download the version you want, double click and install. it flashes and your good to restart the pc. its a .EXE so its easy to install

support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1998642

Take a look at this guide (which claims that MBAM works) and see if any software works:

http://botcrawl.com/how-to-remove-the-fbi-moneypak-ransomware-virus-fake-fbi-malware-removal/

This particular malware won't have affected your BIOS, please do not risk it unless you are convinced you need to. As far as I know it doesn't actually encrypt anything, so it should be alright after you remove it. If you have the option install another antimalware (Spybot SD, Comodo, Avast etc.) or run from an external environment.

Edit: If you can get an external environment running (like UBCD4W or Ubuntu Live CD) you could recover any data you need through that and reinstall as suggested above.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

here are the bios for your pc. if you want to change the bios just download the version you want, double click and install. it flashes and your good to restart the pc. its a .EXE so its easy to install

support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1998642

Ok so what comes with the new bios? All I need is something to restore the laptop to factory defaults. System restore wont let us because the drive is corrupted

Ok so what comes with the new bios? All I need is something to restore the laptop to factory defaults. System restore wont let us because the drive is corrupted

the new version is 2.30. if you click on it and read the changelog it will tell you. but there is no restore option that i see but im ganna go research for you really quick because every laptop iv owned had a restore option. like Acer that keeps a backup iso of the original copy of windows so if you need to it can reinstall it for you.

the laptop you have should have came with a restore disk that gives 2 options

1.) restore to out of box state

2.)Format hard drive. find that and your set.