Steelseries 6gv2 (and mechanical keyboards in general)

Khushhal

This is going to be a short review since it is an old keyboard and people have reviewed it
I am just going to point out the things that i did not see any reviewer point out
I wanted a brown switch keyboard but this one was very cheap....used steelseries 6gv2 for $18.35 when converted to usd

The main difference between a mechanical and membrane keyboard that i have never seen anyone point out is that the keys of a membrane keyboard require a starting force while mechanical key switches don't

Now i am going to explain in case someone has not studied physics and does not know what starting force i am referring to
If u are pushing a heavy load (that is stationary), to get it to move u need to give it a starting force, which is the difficult part, once the object starts moving its easier to keep it in motion

Similarly to push the rubber underneath the key u need a starting force that can feel like a bump after that it is linear
Mechanical key switches have springs which do not require a starting force especially cherry mx black switches which are linear all the way
The feel of pressing this switch is the same at the top and the bottom

Then what linus and everyone else tells is that any mechanical keyboard is better than a membrane keyboard no matter what switch it is.......I believe that statement now

Typing is very good on this keyboard....one of my friend said this keyboard is attracting me to type on it

One thing to note about a mechanical keyboard is that u have to get used to it if u are used to typing on a membrane keyboard
That 2mm actuation is a problem with accidental presses
But double tapping is faster

A few months ago i asked on the forum if cherry mx black would be heavier than a membrane keyboard like a Logitech g15 and i got the response that if i am a light typist i should not go with blacks
Blacks are the heaviest of the 4 main switches...true...i respect that suggestion but maybe the member did not read my question completely
Comparing even blacks to a membrane keyboard, they feel lighter or equal to a Logitech G15 just because of the starting force that i explained earlier

Then there is an issue specific to the 6gv2 which had seen a few reviewers mention but it was way worse than i thought
The printing on the keys of this keyboard is the worst i have ever seen
I have a 5 year old A4tech membrane keyboard which still works and the key printing is not completely invisible but this one...........................
I played counter strike for an hour or two and i could see a significant change in the printing of WASD and the rest of the keys
Luckily i resolved that issue
I went to the local market and found key stickers for a dollar which work great
I think every keyboard manufacturer should just put these stickers on the keys rather than printing it so that if these wear out (if they do) the customer just has to replace the stickers not the keycaps entirely except when the keyboard is backlit

Another issue with this keyboard is no left windows key as i am used to pressing windows+E to open my computer this was a big issue for me
This keyboard gives the option of having 6 key roll over with usb and n-key roll over with the ps2 adapter but another issue is that with the ps2 adapter the repeat rate is very slow
Like if i have to type "..........................................." mashing the dot button would be faster than if i kept my finger on the key. This is over ps2 only which i do not use, usb is fine.

Other than that mechanical keyboards are great, if u type a lot and are confused if mechanical keyboards are worth it....they totally are

I will get back on other key switches if i can get my hands on them

post-18164-0-85625600-1395505540_thumb.j

post-18164-0-80628600-1395505549_thumb.j

post-18164-0-85297200-1395505570_thumb.j

Or they could laser etch the symbols so that they don't wear off.

i was referring to the cheap ones like 6gv2.... :)

i was referring to the cheap ones like 6gv2.... :)

My cheap CM Storm TK has etches symbols.

But I have Heard that the steelseries ones have crappy print, and at least I still need the symbols visible :)

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum