COD:Warzone Packet Burst

ArcaPhox
Go to solution Solved by Rocket_Launcha,

@ArcaPhox So I was doing a bit of digging last night, and I did manage to see significantly less “packet bursting” last night after adjusting the initial paging file size to over just over 1.5x my RAM (as I forgot to reset this after wiping and reinstalling windows last week) and total being 4x my RAM. I have 32gb total, so my my initial is set to 50000MB and my max is set to 128000MB. Now this did not solve the issue completely, as I still have “packet bursting” issues, but it seems to have mitigated the issue to an extent. 

However, I can post some graphs from MSI Afterburner, but I am beginning to notice a trend of GPU Usage drops of 50% or more (from about 80-90% down to 30-40%). This coincides with GPU Usage dropping the same amount, since obviously the GPU needs power to operate (shouldn’t have to make this connection, but some people on the internet may not think like that). So I am trying a different power strip to see if any sort of bursts of power cause the ground to stop the delivery. 

I am also currently analyzing some internet packet stats while playing to see if there is any sort of overlap as far as packet drops, fragmentation, etc., but do not seem to see any correlation as of yet. Every other game works fine, so I highly doubt it is my ISP. However, Warzone packets can hop between a lot of servers by nature, so very well could just be a server along the route being too bloated randomly causing a back up of packets, and since a friends packets can take a different route to the server, they may not experience the same issue. 

If I happen to come across a “holy grail” of a fix, I will be sure to let ya know! 

Packet burst in Warzone is currently making the game unplayable. I've searched everywhere, posted on the CODWarzone subreddit for ideas but nothing seems to work.
The issue is essentially a type of stuttering where an icon with 3 orange scores (denoting packet burst) occurs. The game freezes from between half a second to a few seconds. The issue is that this happens multiple times a minute and makes an FPS completely pointless because I lose fights before I even start them.

I will include my dxdiag for my hardware info but this is what I've already gathered:

- It is not my internet connection. My brother also plays COD:Warzone (we play in a party) and he does not have this issue. Also I moved houses so now I have a different connection and still have this issue.

- It's not the 'servers' per se because I always play in a party and my teammates don't have the same issue.
- A friend of mine has the same motherboard and he doesn't have this issue so it doesn't seem to be an inherent incompatibility with the network chip on the mobo.

- I've tried all the common fixes, going into the game files and changing the adv_options.ini, changing network adapter power settings, going into registry to add the tcpnodelay mod, played around with settings and overlays, overclocked and underclocked GPU and CPU, etc etc.
- I have both repaired and reinstalled the game.

- The game is installed on my SSD.

The only thing I haven't tried is reinstalling Windows, but i'd rather just not play anymore than reinstall Windows.

If anyone has any ideas, please do make some suggestions.

DxDiag.txt

I made an account on here because I am in the exact same boat as you, and have quite honestly tried everything in the book to fix it. 

I have done a 100% fresh install of windows, and the problem still persists, so don’t waste your time. Then I thought that maybe it was my CPU (since this game is a CPU hog by nature) so I upgraded from a i5-9600K to a I9-9900K (which I will add is OC’c to 5ghz all cores - 100% stable). New modem and router. Multiple fresh installs of the game. Practically new everything, but nothing has seemed to fix this issue for me either. Every other game runs perfectly fine, but Modern Warfare has that same “packet bursting” issue (three solid orange boxes) constantly in every single game I play. At this point in time, I am really starting to believe it may just be some bad netcode in the game that doesn’t like something on my end or a dropping/fragmenting of packets somewhere along the route to the server that just cannot be traced. I am at a total loss just like yourself. 

Maybe we can find common ground here and solve this issue for the entire Warzone community! 

For reference, here is my PC setup:

• Aorus Z390 Master Motherboard
  • Intel I9-9900k - OC’d - 5ghz all cores
  • Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming 
  • 16x2 - Corsair Vengeance RGB - 3200mhz (XMP enabled) 
  • Samsung 970 Evo NVMe SSD - 1TB
  • Corsair HXi 850W PSU
  • Corsair H150i Liquid Cooler - 380mm
  • LG Ultragear 27” (GN750) - Full HD IPS @ 240hz 

**If I missed anything or want to know if I have tried a specific solution, just feel free to ask. I have tried so many things over the last 3-4 months to fix this issue, but keep coming up short.**

its because warzone is just having alot of new updates resulting in shity stuf like this, im afraid you might have to just wait until new patch

It is just odd that this isn’t necessarily a Warzone wide issue with the game. Obviously streamers and many others (including friends I play with daily), are not experiencing these types of issues. No other game I play (including Cold War) suffers these constant stuttering/packet burst issues. 

What could possibly cause only me to have this issue amongst my friends when they are receiving the same patch/updates? There seems to be no reasonable answer to this, which is why I have spent months trying to understand and figure it out. Could just blame it on server issues, but that would mean others connecting to that same server would have the issue. 

The fact of not knowing what is causing this is actually more frustrating than just playing through it at this point in time. 

I have the same issue in PS4 Pro and I realized I started to have this problem when the integration of Cold War into Warzone but last weeks the problem has increased a lot. So I think is a Warzome problem

@ArcaPhox So I was doing a bit of digging last night, and I did manage to see significantly less “packet bursting” last night after adjusting the initial paging file size to over just over 1.5x my RAM (as I forgot to reset this after wiping and reinstalling windows last week) and total being 4x my RAM. I have 32gb total, so my my initial is set to 50000MB and my max is set to 128000MB. Now this did not solve the issue completely, as I still have “packet bursting” issues, but it seems to have mitigated the issue to an extent. 

However, I can post some graphs from MSI Afterburner, but I am beginning to notice a trend of GPU Usage drops of 50% or more (from about 80-90% down to 30-40%). This coincides with GPU Usage dropping the same amount, since obviously the GPU needs power to operate (shouldn’t have to make this connection, but some people on the internet may not think like that). So I am trying a different power strip to see if any sort of bursts of power cause the ground to stop the delivery. 

I am also currently analyzing some internet packet stats while playing to see if there is any sort of overlap as far as packet drops, fragmentation, etc., but do not seem to see any correlation as of yet. Every other game works fine, so I highly doubt it is my ISP. However, Warzone packets can hop between a lot of servers by nature, so very well could just be a server along the route being too bloated randomly causing a back up of packets, and since a friends packets can take a different route to the server, they may not experience the same issue. 

If I happen to come across a “holy grail” of a fix, I will be sure to let ya know! 

Thank you guys for the reply, if I find out anything that solves my issue, I will post it on this thread but we've all tried a whole lot and it didn't work. I was considering a windows reinstall but I probably won't because of what @Rocket_Launchasaid. I'll give the paging file 'fix' a try to see if it helps.

Coming back to post for posterity, @Rocket_Launcha's suggestion of editing the paging file solved 98% of the issue for me. I was stuttering for at least half the game and now I barely get a stutter per game, if that. 

I don't know exactly what fixed it so ill explain my process.
I looked up how to edit the paging file settings and found something related to warzone, I looked into it and they suggested turning off the paging file completely. This is a mistake. As soon as I booted up the game it crashed, Chrome crashed, everything stopped working. Now, if you disable paging file and this happens, it may actually be a good sign that this fix will work for you.
I went to re-enable my paging file and I noticed when I disabled it that paging was occurring on my E: drive which is a slower HDD for mass storage. When I re-enabled it, I set it to system managed but on my SSD. If you want to set a custom range for the paging file, my system managed one takes up 20GB for my 16GB of actual RAM. I'd suggest 16GB initial paging filze size and max 25GB probably? (i'd say 1.5x total RAM capacity is about right as suggested by @Rocket_Launcha)  Make sure you have enough space on the SSD to support the file ofc.

As for how to edit these settings, Control Panel -> System and Security -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced -> Performance (Settings) -> Advanced -> Virtual Memory (Change) -> Disable Automatically manage paging file size for all drives -> Select Drive -> Select No Paging file -> Set.

When re-enabling use the same steps but re-enable paging file only on your fastest drive, if you have plenty of storage space left, I don't think there's any harm in setting it to System managed. If you are tight on space I'd imagine there's some value in setting specific values and making sure you have that space available.

I'd suggest disabling all paging files and restarting even though this will absolutely make your game crash, but maybe there's value in resetting in and of iself.

Then do the same thing and enable a paging file only on your fastest drive and restart, this should fix your packet loss (it did for me).

@ArcaPhox Glad to hear this fix did reduce your "packet bursting" issues to an extent at least. I still suffer from them game to game, but still not as bad as they once were. I have noticed more and more, that these "packet bursts" constantly coincide with Spikes and Dips in power/usage on both my CPU and GPU. Which leads me to believe that if this were my system, I would see these same power issues in every game. 

Hopefully I/we/someone can find a 100% real fix soon and we can all have buttery smooth gameplay in every match. If I come across any new updates, I will post back here.

@ArcaPhox, I found another solution that seemed to help mitigate the "packet burst" issues a bit more, Enabling IPv6. My old router/modem was a Netgear Cv7000v2 and had a terrible interface with minimal advantages for gamers. I recently upgraded to an Asus AX-88U, and did not realize that IPv6 was disabled by default. This obviously needs to be done at the router level as well as on your PC. **Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe most ISP's offer IPv6 capatibility** So I set this up and have been troubleshooting the last couple of days. Played with just IPv4 for multiple games and the "packet bursts" were pretty significant, but wanted to make sure it wasn't just a "good night" for my internet or the servers, which it was not. Once I re-enabled IPv6, the difference was immediately noticeable. I had far less "packet bursting" game to game. 

As I said before, this helped to mitigate my issues even further, but they still exist. Do not know if this is something you have tried or not, but figured I would just throw it out there to see if it could help ya out. I am no internet guru, and will never claim to be, but I am sure someone will correct me on here if I am wrong. IPv6 is more efficient and able to carry larger data packets across the network. Best analogy I can think of is comparing a standard pick-up truck to a large semi. It is able to carry more per transmission, therefore more efficient at sending and receiving data. Logically, this would make total sense if Warzone has terrible netcode issues, and servers are trying to send too large of packets for standard IPv4 to handle. In theory, this would mean the servers and ISP's are having to handle (receive/send) double the amount of packets when using IPv4 versus IPv6. Plus, this also would be more efficient for Network adapters and CPU's as more information is compiled within each packet, and would not have to wait for another packet to bring the missing data.

Who knows, I am not expert in the matter. Give it a try and see what happens! If you have already done so, just let me know and I will continue trying to find a permanent fix. 

I just started playing this couple

of days ago, so far 0 packet loss or 'bursts'. I wonder if this has something to do with how long you play, like a memory leak or something (btw usually you shouldn't need to touch your page file at all) seeing as the game is really badly optimized and obviously handled by very sus people who don't necessarily know what they're doing. 

Also I'm using ISLC which is specifically designed to prevent stutters and such caused by bad memory management, that could have to do something with it as well. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

@Mark Kaine What settings do you use on ISLC? I had given this a shot a while back and did not see any substantial results. Willing to give it another try though because as you pointed out, I do believe this is caused by poor memory management on the games end. Also, I had never used ISLC before, so I was a bit unfamiliar with it. Typically, you would be correct that you should not need to adjust your pagefile size, especially if you are only running a single SSD (which is my scenario). However, with the poor memory management, and many saying it is some sort of memory leak in the game, it would not surprise me if the game uses a pagefile in some type of weird way. 

Let me know your settings and I will give ISLC another go around tonight! 

On 2/23/2021 at 9:22 PM, Rocket_Launcha said:

@Mark Kaine What settings do you use on ISLC? I had given this a shot a while back and did not see any substantial results. Willing to give it another try though because as you pointed out, I do believe this is caused by poor memory management on the games end. Also, I had never used ISLC before, so I was a bit unfamiliar with it. Typically, you would be correct that you should not need to adjust your pagefile size, especially if you are only running a single SSD (which is my scenario). However, with the poor memory management, and many saying it is some sort of memory leak in the game, it would not surprise me if the game uses a pagefile in some type of weird way. 

Let me know your settings and I will give ISLC another go around tonight! 

Well they tell you on the website, but generally you want to set it to 'half' of your system memory, and start with 1GB... and leave the timer resolution alone, you really just have to put in half of your RAM amount in "free memory is lower than" 

20210225_182512.thumb.jpg.99337139d4fd26c3129bca358fd663f1.jpg

PS: and make sure it's actually running! 😂

You don't need the auto logon stuff, just press "Start" once you set it up 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I've found a solution. (obviously worked only for me)

i have tryied everything all of you can do multiple times (paping files, files .ini. graphycs settings, ovecklock, downcklock, lan unlocks, ports forwarding, formats, check files, check heating, installing all possible damn useles programs, EVERYTHING but notthing worked) but today i finally found my personal solution.

i followed this steps:

1) switch my GPU to another and completely different pc (but keeping my personal blizzard account) = packet burst still going

so i thought my gpu was broken or at least have artifacts.  BUT!!

2)so i turned back to my pc (with my poor gpu) and i tryied my brother's account.... and the magic starts. no more packet burst, no more stuttering

That is crazy, this is a glitch related to your own account!!!

@ArcaPhox I think I finally found a permanent solution for this issue on my end! So since the new season, the game has kept crashing on me due to RAM errors, and mainly seeing "Page Fault in Non-Paged Area." I tried ISLC, but noticed no changes on my end and game kept crashing. Warzone would quite literally crash my PC on average 4-5 times a day randomly, sometimes when loading the game from desktop, and other times mid-game. So I did some more digging into this issues over the weekend, and ran into a post on Reddit somewhere (will link if I remember where).

To summarize this post, someone was saying that the "Auto" XMP presets for the Voltage on their RAM were set low while running at 3600MHz, and would cause stuttering due to the RAM being under-volted at times. My RAM is only rated for 3200MHz, but it did get me thinking, that if Warzone has so issues with memory as people claim, it may be worth a shot too try. So I cranked up my Voltage on my RAM to 1.35v (still within the safe area and I do constantly monitor temps to make sure I am not frying my RAM lol), and I have had zero issues since doing so. Not saying you should crank yours up to 1.35v, but I believe my stock voltage is around 1.20v, so quite the bump. Don't remember your exact RAM, but maybe look it up and see what people recommend for overclocking it from a Voltage perspective. **May be helpful to note as well, I have also set a bit more intensive fan curves to help with some excess heat potentially being produced by the higher voltage RAM. 

Hopefully this is a more permanent solution for you, as it has seemed to worked miracles for me thus far. Let me know if this fixes the issue for you! 

All right Warzone Junkies Ive figured out a fix its a combination Of changing your page file performance to 2934 out of 8gb increasing your ram voltage and changing player settings in documents under warzone. Currently My Rig Is x570 Asus tuf, r5 3600 OC @4500mhz, Rtx 2060 OC @2010, 16gb Vulkan Tforce OC @3200, my Ram OC Voltage is set @ 1.4, Player ini settings are  1 -  6  -  1  (Gpu memory  1  Cores   6) Doing this has made Warzone decently playable this isnt a God Hack fix ALL But ever since Warzone Updated it became just a stuttering mess. After a few days reading through Fixes this combo Has reduced Stuttering. Also If your runnin a 20 series or 30 series on direct X 12 Do not Use DRX 11 DONT USE THAT  Your gpu and warzone are made for DRX12 In nividia settings Use Quailty and Performance  set Vert Sync to Fast Your Gpu has No Prob Rendering HIGH Quality settings Use them I hope this helps some People If your not Sure if you Should change your dram voltage Just dont even try It read Up on Overclocking Before You fry Your Pc You need to learn Your PC Before Overclocking anything   The More You Know !!  Reading!!!   its not a thing of the past stop watchin youtube fixes and do Not Mess With REGEDIT  registry hacks  These idiots on youtube dont care if you mess up your OS Work with windows instead of tryin to make it do things its not set up for

Update Last few hours been Trying different things on my PC  figured out I had my CPU way Overclocked @4500mhz lol My Mobo and Master air MA620m or whatever cpu fan allows me to push my cpu to the max Anyways I turned my overclock down to 4200mhz lol problem solved My game no longer stutters like before only internet stutters now So im not sure If any of my advice (LOL) will work but Alls I did was turn off that stupid win10 game mode off I kept my Ram Oc drvam voltage 1.4 eased up on my cpu Overclock to 4.2 warzone seems fine now  ive been using boom3d not sure if it helped but i decided to shut that down  i noticed My sound cut sometimes so I turned it off 

there isnt a solution, i have tryed this shitty game in 4 different pc: not  a single pc worked.

The game is just trash. And they dont have any intenctions to fix that.

• 4 weeks later...

@ArcaPhox and to everyone else. I have finally found the 100% permanent fix for all connection issues in Warzone!!!! Unfortunately, a fix that some may not have the luxury of performing, but all it took was changing my ISP... I can post some PingPlotter charts if people would like them, but basically, my previous ISP (Mediacom) not only suffered from abnormally excessive amount of congestion in my area, but one of the techs mentioned that their current hardware was not capable of supporting so much traffic. Not too mention the excessive noise in the lines that they refuse to fix due to bad connections in wiring, because for 95% of users it is "not an issue" unless you are using Real-Time Applications, i.e. gaming or VoIP. 

So what was happening in my case, was that my latency was 30-40 (not great to start off with on average just pinging to google.com, I know) and then spiking to 100-150 and even  300+ during peak hours (numbers pulled from PingPlotter graphs). These back ups were occuring every 30 to 60 seconds. This bottleneck was located at the node on the headend of the line as well as Mediacom's internal servers, and the tech acknowledged that their internal hardware was seriously struggling to handle all the network traffic causing these spikes in latency. Thus resulting in poor hit regulation and severe packet bursting in Warzone. Now, other games may be a bit better optimized to handle these spikes in latency, which is why it may just be more prevalent in Warzone. 

Regardless of issues that may or may not be prevalent with the Warzone servers, the ultimate solution for me was changing ISP's. I was on Mediacom, but now I am on CenturyLink. I was hesitant at first since CenturyLink only offers ADSL internet and not cable or fiber, but my god is it fast. I have run the same tests to google.com, and it averages 14ms, with the occasional spike up to 18ms. I now load into Warzone lobbies and ping 19 all day long to Central Region servers, and have had quite literally zero issues with the game or internet since the switch. Plus, it is actually cheaper than what I was paying before! 

Hope this helps anyone still struggling with packet bursting! 

23 hours ago, Rocket_Launcha said:

@ArcaPhox and to everyone else. I have finally found the 100% permanent fix for all connection issues in Warzone!!!! Unfortunately, a fix that some may not have the luxury of performing, but all it took was changing my ISP... I can post some PingPlotter charts if people would like them, but basically, my previous ISP (Mediacom) not only suffered from abnormally excessive amount of congestion in my area, but one of the techs mentioned that their current hardware was not capable of supporting so much traffic. Not too mention the excessive noise in the lines that they refuse to fix due to bad connections in wiring, because for 95% of users it is "not an issue" unless you are using Real-Time Applications, i.e. gaming or VoIP. 

So what was happening in my case, was that my latency was 30-40 (not great to start off with on average just pinging to google.com, I know) and then spiking to 100-150 and even  300+ during peak hours (numbers pulled from PingPlotter graphs). These back ups were occuring every 30 to 60 seconds. This bottleneck was located at the node on the headend of the line as well as Mediacom's internal servers, and the tech acknowledged that their internal hardware was seriously struggling to handle all the network traffic causing these spikes in latency. Thus resulting in poor hit regulation and severe packet bursting in Warzone. Now, other games may be a bit better optimized to handle these spikes in latency, which is why it may just be more prevalent in Warzone. 

Regardless of issues that may or may not be prevalent with the Warzone servers, the ultimate solution for me was changing ISP's. I was on Mediacom, but now I am on CenturyLink. I was hesitant at first since CenturyLink only offers ADSL internet and not cable or fiber, but my god is it fast. I have run the same tests to google.com, and it averages 14ms, with the occasional spike up to 18ms. I now load into Warzone lobbies and ping 19 all day long to Central Region servers, and have had quite literally zero issues with the game or internet since the switch. Plus, it is actually cheaper than what I was paying before! 

Hope this helps anyone still struggling with packet bursting! 

@Rocket_Launcha Thank you Sir... I have tried all solutions posted here except this one. I also have Mediacom and have my own Cable Modem. I guess ill just have to bite the bullet and move to Consolidated internet in my area. I am also hesitant because my max speed with Mediacom is 300 down and 30 up - whereas Consolidated ASDL top packet is 80 down and 5 up. This has me worried but I bet it will be sufficient. Anything to solve these stupid packet bursts so I can actually ENJOY warzone. Funny thing is, Mediacom went down one night months ago... prior to that outage I had zero problems. After that outage, I have had constant packet bursts. Makes me want to rip my hair out! 

• 4 weeks later...

So idk if this issue has been driving you as crazy as me but i've litterally tried everything.  you name it, i done it.  Changed graphic settings and resolution.  Transfered from my 970 evo plus m.2 ssd, to my 7200rpm hdd.  I've did port forwarding and tried many of open ports for warzone, upgraded my system from a r9 390x to rx 5700xt.  I have a AMD ryzen 5 3600 build and i found a post that finally fixed my problem.  while it didn't get rid of the packet burts symbol from popping up i notice the mirco lag/stutter was gone.  If you are on pc give this a look and see if it was like mine.   In your "Documents" directory there should be a "call of duty modern warfare" file.  open that file and then open players an then open the ADV.Option file in notepad.  There should be a "renderworkercount" there.  this is for how many cores you CPU has not logical processors.  For instance i have 12 logical processors and 6 cores.  You can find out how many cores you have by opening task manager and then click the performance tab and click on your cpu.  When i oped that file with wordpad i seen my renderworkercount was set to 2.  meaning this cpu intensive game was only using 2 of my cores to play.  I set the value to 6, saved the file and re opened warzone and finally i can run around the game an get into gunfights confidently bc the stutter was gone.  I hope this helps you guys out like it did me.  The file was all wrong and just had to be corrected.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been having this issue since the update. 3 orange bars. Tried everything suggested here and nothing. Never had this issue beefier and have played since the start. 10900k 3090.

Same ive played since day one as well, This issue used to come and go when i was playing on a crappy net. Have tried every single thing out there and no fix whats so ever on both PS and PC. Yes, It does reduce the stutter but does not fix it.

10850K(OC 5.1GHZ) Rx6800xt (OC 2.5ghz) 16gb 4000 Mhz, Samsung pro ssd 1 tb, 850W, Asus GT5300 gaming router. 

Something is fishy here..