Replace Capacitive Switches

ponderingpinky

Hello All,

First post here, but long time lurker.

I am hoping that someone smarter than me might be able to help with an electronics project I am trying to undertake.

I have a in-wall receiver/amplifier that I use in one of my bathrooms to send sound to ceiling speakers in two different areas. The units work for my purposes, except unfortunately the capacitive switches that randomly just change volume or even switch inputs when no one is anywhere near the unit.

My solution, if it is possible, is to replace the capacitive switches with tactile ones and print a replacement cover on my 3D printer or modify the cover in another way.

I know enough about electronics to get myself into trouble, but this is a little above my knowledge level, so I am hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction to do this. I have attached photos of the board, as well as the schematic for the IC that is controlling the buttons currently.

If I need to supply any more information please let me know, otherwise if anyone has any idea as to whether I can do what I am suggesting and how it would be done I would be forever grateful!

Cheers.

2_884_37377_800_498.jpg.png

IMG_6516.jpg

IMG_6512.jpg

IMG_6513.jpg

17 minutes ago, ponderingpinky said:

I know enough about electronics to get myself into trouble, but this is a little above my knowledge level, so I am hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction to do this. I have attached photos of the board, as well as the schematic for the IC that is controlling the buttons currently

For one, those OUT-pins send the signal from the JG808 to the MCU for what button was pressed and you'd have to begin there: check whether it's HIGH or LOW when nothing has been pressed. Then, you'd need to check whether the MCU has built-in debounce on those or not -- if it doesn't, it gets a bit messier to replace those buttons, because you'd need debounce-capacitors to them as well.

Then you'd basically just remove the JG808 and those capacitive buttons, replace the buttons with push-buttons (and add the debounce-capacitor as well, if needed) along with a pull-up or pull-down depending on whether the signal was HIGH or LOW when nothing is pressed, and then connect the buttons to the pads from the OUT-pins accordingly.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.