how to make windows use different drive

Pc6777
Go to solution Solved by The1Dickens,
5 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

but i would rather my boot drive and main drive be different,

Can do this for starters, maybe? Sets TEMP and TMP files to a new location, which I would guess is what is filling up when you do your work.

I have windows installed on a tiny SSD, and when I burn DVDs or compress files it fills up the entire drive or doesn't have enough space and gives me an error. I want to use a different drive as my "main drive", is that possible?

7 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

I have windows installed on a tiny SSD, and when I burn DVDs or compress files it fills up the entire drive or doesn't have enough space and gives me an error. I want to use a different drive as my "main drive", is that possible?

You could change the destination of where your files will be stored(hdd) before you begin the burning process.

Also, you could shift all your personal files over to your HDD, I'm assuming you have one. So that you free up some SSD space.

PS: Get an HDD if you don't have one. Or better yet, get a larger dramless ssd(instead of an HDD) if you have the budget for it as a storage drive.

This way, your SSD will only be for the OS and the other one will be your drive for storing personal things.

If you want to change your main drive, you could get a bigger ssd and clone/fresh install windows on it, taking backup of your data.

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

3 minutes ago, AnirbanG007 said:

You could change the destination of where your files will be stored(hdd) before you begin the burning process.

Also, you could shift all your personal files over to your HDD, I'm assuming you have one. So that you free up some SSD space.

PS: Get an HDD if you don't have one. Or better yet, get a larger dramless ssd(instead of an HDD) if you have the budget for it as a storage drive.

This way, your SSD will only be for the OS and the other one will be your drive for storing personal things.

If you want to change your main drive, you could get a bigger ssd and clone/fresh install windows on it, taking backup of your data.

I have dual 2 terabyte hard drives and i'm adding more ssds soon. windows seems to be using my ssd(drive C) as a "cache" for material I am burning on a dvd or for zipping files, even if the file im zipping is on another drive and I keep getting these storage errors. I want my default drive windows uses for everything to be one of my hard drives or an ssd that I install, not my boot drive. 

2 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

I have dual 2 terabyte hard drives and i'm adding more ssds soon. windows seems to be using my ssd(drive C) as a "cache" for material I am burning on a dvd or for zipping files, even if the file im zipping is on another drive and I keep getting these storage errors. I want my default drive windows uses for everything to be one of my hard drives or an ssd that I install, not my boot drive. 

Oh thanks for making it clear. No, I don't know how to change the "main" drive. An expensive way around this problem would to use a bigger SSD as your boot drive which would kinda alleviate your problem.

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

2 minutes ago, AnirbanG007 said:

Oh thanks for making it clear. No, I don't know how to change the "main" drive. An expensive way around this problem would to use a bigger SSD as your boot drive which would kinda alleviate your problem.

I could do that, but i would rather my boot drive and main drive be different, I guess I could do that as a last resort. I was compressing a file on one of my hard drives and it used my main drive as a "cache" and it failed because I was compressing a 26 gb file and it was using the 8 gigs of memory left on my boot drive. I want to just use one of my massive hard drives to "cache' files. 

i tried to sue storage spaces to combine multiple drives into one partition so I could combine my hard drive and ssd to make my main partition larger, but windows said no drives that work with storage spaces are available. 

5 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

but i would rather my boot drive and main drive be different,

Can do this for starters, maybe? Sets TEMP and TMP files to a new location, which I would guess is what is filling up when you do your work.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

7 minutes ago, The1Dickens said:

Its working, i can see as the folder compressing my new temp drive is using space, now i will be able to burn 25 gb blu rays and compress large files and not constantly get storage warnings, and when i install more ssds i will use one of them as temp for faster temporary storage.