I can't boot my laptop with my old HDD installed?

Citrusflavour01

I boot from my SSD but as soon as I put my old HDD back in my laptop tries to boot from it instead of my SSD? I went into BIOS and deleted the HDD boot option manually and now it's in a loop going into BIOS after turning on. I do have an old installation of windows on the HDD and I think that has something to do with it. There's no option of secure boot in my BIOS btw.

Upgrade in the making

MY CURRENT PC - GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro V2 | Ryzen 9 5900X | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB 3200MHz C16 | RTX 3070 Ti VENTUS 3X | 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4.0 NVMe | 1TB SAMSUNG 980 NVMe 3.0 | RM750x Corsair | Corsair iCUE H150i Elite CAPELLIX | Corsair iCUE 7000X RGB 

2 minutes ago, Citrusflavour01 said:

I boot from my SSD but as soon as I put my old HDD back in my laptop tries to boot from it instead of my SSD? I went into BIOS and deleted the HDD boot option manually and now it's in a loop going into BIOS after turning on. I do have an old installation of windows on the HDD and I think that has something to do with it. There's no option of secure boot in my BIOS btw.

Try booting into Windows with just your SSD first, then after you are in Windows, insert the HDD ( Don't worry this won't brick your laptop or crash windows generally ) and once you've done that, go to Start and search for Disk Manager, it will say " Create and format  hard disk partitions " and open it, you should see  your HDD with a black ribbon. RIght click and select " create new volume " and you should be ready to go. Let me know if it helps, cheers!

PLEASE TAG ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLY!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  | Motherboard: Asus TUF X570 Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8gbx2 3600Mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3080 | PSU: NZXT C850 | Case: Corsair 5000D AF | Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb m.2 ssd + Samsung 860 EVO 1tb ssd | Monitor: LG 49WL95C-W | Peripherals: Logitech G815 + Razer Viper Ultimate + Razer Kraken TE | Audio: Logitech G560 

My Laptop unexpectedly booted up with my SSD this time so I formatted the HDD so the windows installation won't interfere. So far everything is working 👌

1 hour ago, Carbonado said:

Try booting into Windows with just your SSD first, then after you are in Windows, insert the HDD ( Don't worry this won't brick your laptop or crash windows generally ) and once you've done that, go to Start and search for Disk Manager, it will say " Create and format  hard disk partitions " and open it, you should see  your HDD with a black ribbon. RIght click and select " create new volume " and you should be ready to go. Let me know if it helps, cheers!

Although your method didn't work the idea of leaving my laptop back casing off while using the system came from that method.

Edited by Citrusflavour01

Upgrade in the making

MY CURRENT PC - GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro V2 | Ryzen 9 5900X | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB 3200MHz C16 | RTX 3070 Ti VENTUS 3X | 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4.0 NVMe | 1TB SAMSUNG 980 NVMe 3.0 | RM750x Corsair | Corsair iCUE H150i Elite CAPELLIX | Corsair iCUE 7000X RGB 

Change the boot order,the SSD should be first.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566