Any info on Lenovo tower 5i sold from best buy? im currently usiong one i got for $729 USD.

Go to solution Solved by Downkey,
5 hours ago, cheekzs said:

thanks and im not too much worried about the gaming but having more cores would help with straming while gaming right? i mean im just having fun in games like warzone and fallout but i want to be able to provide the best i can. with the i5 im eating up cpu running both programs as administator and i keep skipping more than 25% frames when i switch to 1080p 60fps on streamlabs . so the 10700k would help with that right?

Well don’t stream if your CPU, stream of NVENC. Quality is the same and you don’t lose performance. 

A 10700 wouldn’t even be noticeable in most games. You would be spending $300 just to get 15 more FPS in games. Don’t upgrade that. Giant waste of money. Also having more cores doesn’t automatically make the gaming performance better. Very few games utilize more than 6, and the 10400f has 6 cores. Honestly keep your 10400f, it’ll age quite well.

What you should do is upgrade your PSU and then buy a new GPU when graphics cards actually come in stock. Save around $500, buy a new PSU, and then buy a 3060ti. 

Also enable XMP in the BIOS. This way your RAM speed will run at the advertised speed. This would give a good performance boost in most games

i am just getting into pc stuff so my friends told me this was a good buy its running a Lenovo made cmlb460 chipset, intel core i 5 10400 2.9 ghz but clocks up to 4.0.

an NVIDIA gtx 1660 super, came with 8gb of ram and a 400w gold power suppply, 250 gb ssd and a 1tb 7200 rpm hdd

i just want to know if anyone can help me figure out things like why when i changed to corsair 2x8gb ram the speed is only 2133 mhz, and if i can upgrade to i7106700k to clock up to 5.1 ghz 

i dont know really anything else about it

27 minutes ago, cheekzs said:

i am just getting into pc stuff so my friends told me this was a good buy its running a Lenovo made cmlb460 chipset, intel core i 5 10400 2.9 ghz but clocks up to 4.0.

an NVIDIA gtx 1660 super, came with 8gb of ram and a 400w gold power suppply, 250 gb ssd and a 1tb 7200 rpm hdd

i just want to know if anyone can help me figure out things like why when i changed to corsair 2x8gb ram the speed is only 2133 mhz, and if i can upgrade to i7106700k to clock up to 5.1 ghz 

i dont know really anything else about it

So the ram is running at 2133mhz because it’s running at its stock speed. You would have to go into the bios and enable XMP, although I’m not sure if Lenovo’s bios allows for it. Also why are you upgrading to the 10700K? That would give like 10% better gaming performance.

also if you do upgrade you would want to upgrade the PSU. 400W isn’t enough for any major upgrades.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

-> Moved to Laptops and Pre-Build Systems

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 2/4/2021 at 6:39 PM, Downkey said:

So the ram is running at 2133mhz because it’s running at its stock speed. You would have to go into the bios and enable XMP, although I’m not sure if Lenovo’s bios allows for it. Also why are you upgrading to the 10700K? That would give like 10% better gaming performance.

also if you do upgrade you would want to upgrade the PSU. 400W isn’t enough for any major upgrades.

thanks and im not too much worried about the gaming but having more cores would help with straming while gaming right? i mean im just having fun in games like warzone and fallout but i want to be able to provide the best i can. with the i5 im eating up cpu running both programs as administator and i keep skipping more than 25% frames when i switch to 1080p 60fps on streamlabs . so the 10700k would help with that right?

5 hours ago, cheekzs said:

Well don’t stream if your CPU, stream of NVENC. Quality is the same and you don’t lose performance. 

A 10700 wouldn’t even be noticeable in most games. You would be spending $300 just to get 15 more FPS in games. Don’t upgrade that. Giant waste of money. Also having more cores doesn’t automatically make the gaming performance better. Very few games utilize more than 6, and the 10400f has 6 cores. Honestly keep your 10400f, it’ll age quite well.

What you should do is upgrade your PSU and then buy a new GPU when graphics cards actually come in stock. Save around $500, buy a new PSU, and then buy a 3060ti. 

Also enable XMP in the BIOS. This way your RAM speed will run at the advertised speed. This would give a good performance boost in most games

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

12 hours ago, Downkey said:

thanks for all the help only there is no way on the lenovo bios to enable xmp. im not too worried about where my faming poerformance is now. im only using a 144 hz fhd monitor to game on. i mostly want to utilize more coress for adequete gaming and streaming 

IIRC Legion Tower 5i don't have XMP support. But you still can put 2933/3200MHz RAM (JEDEC)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128