[Updates on bugs] Should you buy a Z590? Asus Maximus XIII Hero Z590 motherboard review

cagoblex
2 hours ago, Aznguyen316 said:

Thank you for the reply! I didn’t even think sp48 existed lol. I ask because person I bought the 10900k from said it read sp102 on their z490 Maximus board. I found it overclocked decently well on the z490 unify I have. The VF curve in bios on the z590 Strix A looks okay up to 5.2. The 5.3 VID shoots way up though. I guess I’ll just do some more testing and see if I can get this stable at all. 

Is there any other processor you can test that with? I can bring it to the PM for Z590 boards if it remains the same. They would have a better answer to this. But it might has to do with the power delivery strategy, because Rocket lake generally requires a lot higher voltage at the same frequency compares to Comet lake, and I guess that could be the reason. 

8 minutes ago, Aznguyen316 said:

I got my hands on a z490 Strix E board and put in the processor. Updated bios and it shows 48 also with same VF curve VID. Guess I just need to tweak some bios settings and see if I can do any better.. thanks for your help

You will see the same SP on most ROG boards as they are using the same controller chip and firmware. Please check if it overclocks any better on the Z490-E. It could be settings related. ROG boards does offer more settings than MSI Unity boards. It would take a little time to dig into all of them. 

@cagoblex Do you have any info on the 4x M.2 slots on the board? I noticed I needed to change the PCI-e mode to "PCI-E_1 + PCI-E_2 + M.2_2", but this halves the PCI-e throughput on top slot to x8. Is this a Comet Lake limitation? Would all 4 M.2 be accessible with the top PCI-e slot in x16 mode with a Rocket Lake CPU?

I'm interested in having at least 1 PCI-e slot by 4.0 x16 and 1 M.2 slot being PCI-e 4.0 x4, with the other 3 M.2s be usable as well.

3090, SN850 2TB, 3x SN750 2TBs

6 hours ago, Berzerker said:

@cagoblex Do you have any info on the 4x M.2 slots on the board? I noticed I needed to change the PCI-e mode to "PCI-E_1 + PCI-E_2 + M.2_2", but this halves the PCI-e throughput on top slot to x8. Is this a Comet Lake limitation? Would all 4 M.2 be accessible with the top PCI-e slot in x16 mode with a Rocket Lake CPU?

I'm interested in having at least 1 PCI-e slot by 4.0 x16 and 1 M.2 slot being PCI-e 4.0 x4, with the other 3 M.2s be usable as well.

3090, SN850 2TB, 3x SN750 2TBs

Here is the deal. The cpu has a total of 20 pcie 4.0 lanes. And it is distributed between PCI-E x16-1, PCI-E x16-2, M.2 x4-1 and M.2 x4-2. So the only way to make both M.2 work is to change the PCI-e mode to "PCI-E_1 + PCI-E_2 + M.2_2. This will make the PCI-E lanes work in x8, x4 and x4 mode. As for slot 3 and 4, they are PCH attached and it won’t be affected by your cpu PCI-E lane configuration. Yes you will be able to use all four SSDs and the 3090 at the same time but there is no way 3090 can run in PCI-E4.0 x16 mode. However according Linus and GN’s review, there will be minimal impact on the performance for video cards even if it runs at x8 instead of x16. 

4 hours ago, cagoblex said:

Here is the deal. The cpu has a total of 20 pcie 4.0 lanes. And it is distributed between PCI-E x16-1, PCI-E x16-2, M.2 x4-1 and M.2 x4-2. So the only way to make both M.2 work is to change the PCI-e mode to "PCI-E_1 + PCI-E_2 + M.2_2. This will make the PCI-E lanes work in x8, x4 and x4 mode. As for slot 3 and 4, they are PCH attached and it won’t be affected by your cpu PCI-E lane configuration. Yes you will be able to use all four SSDs and the 3090 at the same time but there is no way 3090 can run in PCI-E4.0 x16 mode. However according Linus and GN’s review, there will be minimal impact on the performance for video cards even if it runs at x8 instead of x16. 

Thanks for the info. Is the PCH limited to 8 lanes as well? Would be good if they threw in a PLX chip or something to get some more lanes for full 4.0 x16 while allowing all 4 M.2 slots. For $499 you think it would be a useful feature.

I guess I'll use/stick with it and wait for the 11900K. Seems like it's a good buy.

On 2/11/2021 at 7:21 AM, Aznguyen316 said:

Hey guys I have a question for udog and cagoblex. 

was the sp (silicon predictor) for your CPU on the z490 asus bios the same value in the z590 bios you have on the hero? 

I have a 10900k and I have a z490 unify, but I am now testing a z590 Strix A and the sp value is showing 48 for my 10900K on the z590 mobo? Seems super low. Showing 1.55V or so just for 5.2Ghz LLC4. I figured it was a bios bug with z590 and 10th gen. However, I was able to set on my msi unify 1.36V LLC3 which under load was about 1.33V or something for 5.2Ghz and gaming stable. However on this z590 Strix board I BSOD crash at 5.2Ghz LLC6 at 1.4V doing cinebench. 

how can the same 10900k be good and stable on my z490 msi unify but apparently garbage on a z590 Strix A mobo. Wondering if bios needs work for 10th gen or something else strange is occurring 

I have the same SP (63) as before:

IMG_5682.jpg

8 hours ago, Berzerker said:

Thanks for the info. Is the PCH limited to 8 lanes as well? Would be good if they threw in a PLX chip or something to get some more lanes for full 4.0 x16 while allowing all 4 M.2 slots. For $499 you think it would be a useful feature.

I guess I'll use/stick with it and wait for the 11900K. Seems like it's a good buy.

Yes it is limited to X8. It already doubles the bandwidth compares to Z490. 

7 hours ago, UdoG said:

I have the same SP (63) as before:

IMG_5682.jpg

I just got a SP 183 for 11900T. Make sense as the VID is usually much lower for T processors. 

Hi,

Is it necessary to install the following Asus drivers?

- Intel(R) Serial IO V30.100.2042.1 for Windows 10 64-bit.(WHQL)
- Intel Management Engine Interface V2047.100.0.1039(SW 2101.15.0.2080) For Windows 10 64-bit.
- Intel(R) GNA Scoring Accelerator module V2.0.0.1097 for Windows 10 64-bit.(WHQL)

Thanks.

14 hours ago, UdoG said:

Hi,

Is it necessary to install the following Asus drivers?

- Intel(R) Serial IO V30.100.2042.1 for Windows 10 64-bit.(WHQL)
- Intel Management Engine Interface V2047.100.0.1039(SW 2101.15.0.2080) For Windows 10 64-bit.
- Intel(R) GNA Scoring Accelerator module V2.0.0.1097 for Windows 10 64-bit.(WHQL)

Thanks.

Yes they are. You should install them for proper system function. 

On 2/18/2021 at 9:45 AM, Saabmonkey said:

New Bios ver 402 2/17/21.

No notes?

Any body updated yet?

I did but I did not notice any difference in performance. Not sure what was updated but I think it contains a microcode patch. 

Oh, and thank you for the in depth review and benchmarks cagoblex!

Really enjoyed reading through it.

Can you guys post your PCH temp while idling and under load ? Also your PCH Core Voltage (not PCH VCCIN) ?

I'm having high idle PCH temps. I've tried the following:

1. Updated Drivers. Updated ME FW. Updated BIOS. No change
  2. Inspected PCH heatsink and thermal pad and resit. No change.
  3. Removed M.2 drive and GPU. No significant change.
  4. Removed M.2 drive, GPU and ROG-Logo plastic cover (which surrounds PCH). No significant change.
  5. Made sure nothing is "overclocked", using XMP, or enhanced in any automatic way.
  6. Lowered VCCIO and VCCSA to 1.10v, since automatic was pushing both to 1.40 for some reason !! (CPU weak memory controller ?). Irrelevant, but no change.

The reading i'm getting from VIN2 (which is most likely PCH Core Voltage, based on HWMonitor) in HWInfo is 1.704v, which is crazy for PCH.

Another person in the ROG Forums has the same problem, and even worse temps. Any thoughts ?

More people now report this issue: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?123007

Screenshots Provided:

-- HWInfo & HWMonitor -> 3 minutes after cold boot, IDLE --
-- Bios Monitor -> 10 minutes after cold boot, IDLE -- 

sys_monitoring.jpg

On 2/24/2021 at 1:27 PM, Encode_GR said:

Can you guys post your PCH temp while idling and under load ? Also your PCH Core Voltage (not PCH VCCIN) ?

4. Removed M.2 drive, GPU and ROG-Logo plastic cover (which surrounds PCH). No significant change.
  5. Made sure nothing is "overclocked", using XMP, or enhanced in any automatic way.
  6. Lowered VCCIO and VCCSA to 1.10v, since automatic was pushing both to 1.40 for some reason !! (CPU weak memory controller ?). Irrelevant, but no change.

The reading i'm getting from VIN2 (which is most likely PCH Core Voltage, based on HWMonitor) in HWInfo is 1.704v, which is crazy for PCH.

Another person in the ROG Forums has the same problem, and even worse temps. Any thoughts ?

More people now report this issue: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?123007

Screenshots Provided:

sys_monitoring.jpg

PCH is gonna be toasty. Mine sits at 60-70C all day. They're designed to run that hot, Intel knows that and they don't even recommend a fan. It's fine.

On 2/24/2021 at 1:27 PM, Encode_GR said:

Screenshots Provided:

sys_monitoring.jpg

Sorry I was hammered with work recently. I will test it tomorrow and post the PCH temperatures. Just got my 11700K sample. Will have to run the benchmark anyways. 

I noticed that the new Gigabyte Z590 AORUS Master is now handled by an Aquantia AQC107 10 Gb/s controller. The previous Z490 Master came with a I225V Intel chip controller. In turn the directly competing $500 ASUS Z590 HERO VIII maintains to sport two Intel I225-V 2.5Gb ethernet ports. Why the change by the Z590 Master to the Aquantia AQC107? Has Gigabyte unlike the Hero with their Z490 series boards encountered problems? It has been said however that the outgoing Z490 boards generally (including the Hero's) all have been plagued with still unresolved ethernet-adapter and LAN issues. Example: A new Hero mobo upon install cannot LAN connect, no matter what BIOS updating, cable replacement, driver updating, etc and hours of workarounds are done. Some say it's a Intel 225-V networking chip issue.

Googling today "Z490 Ethernet or LAN problems" show that the issue still persists and as experienced by many AMAZON verified buyers and about 50 plus Z490 board purchasers I could quickly find in the forums. So how can one find a Z490 Gigabyte Master or ASUS VII HERO board today that will work 95% or 100% out of the box? And without having to essentially building a new PC twice. Or with Amazon's great return policies playing a mobo lottery. Perhaps I should just buy a Hero VIII and call it a day and not skimping back to Z490 territory and saving a few bucks. Can someone here shed some light on my darkness?

On 3/7/2021 at 11:32 PM, Tom Sunday said:

I noticed that the new Gigabyte Z590 AORUS Master is now handled by an Aquantia AQC107 10 Gb/s controller. The previous Z490 Master came with a I225V Intel chip controller. In turn the directly competing $500 ASUS Z590 HERO VIII maintains to sport two Intel I225-V 2.5Gb ethernet ports. Why the change by the Z590 Master to the Aquantia AQC107? Has Gigabyte unlike the Hero with their Z490 series boards encountered problems? It has been said however that the outgoing Z490 boards generally (including the Hero's) all have been plagued with still unresolved ethernet-adapter and LAN issues. Example: A new Hero mobo upon install cannot LAN connect, no matter what BIOS updating, cable replacement, driver updating, etc and hours of workarounds are done. Some say it's a Intel 225-V networking chip issue.

Googling today "Z490 Ethernet or LAN problems" show that the issue still persists and as experienced by many AMAZON verified buyers and about 50 plus Z490 board purchasers I could quickly find in the forums. So how can one find a Z490 Gigabyte Master or ASUS VII HERO board today that will work 95% or 100% out of the box? And without having to essentially building a new PC twice. Or with Amazon's great return policies playing a mobo lottery. Perhaps I should just buy a Hero VIII and call it a day and not skimping back to Z490 territory and saving a few bucks. Can someone here shed some light on my darkness?

2.5Gbps I225-Vs are standard on Z590 since that's the default configuration for Intel now. The "standout" features for networking are going to be 5Gbps and 10Gbps, so Gigabyte just chose that as a "standout" feature compared to other motherboards. FWIW, I had a Z490 board with an Aquantia 10Gb port and didn't have any issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! Guys, is it worth changing your xii hero z490 to z590 hero xiii ?? I sell for myself very profitably and I will have to pay extra 150 euros

I am a photographer, I will work in photoshop and of course play) in the avx 512 rocket, they say it is even faster in processing photos than 10900k? What do you think?

Or still wait for intel alder lake-s? There and pcie 5 is expected. X hero ii I like it, with susmung 970 evo plus works smartly. Help)

9 hours ago, sugrob said:

Or still wait for intel alder lake-s? There and pcie 5 is expected. X hero ii I like it, with susmung 970 evo plus works smartly. Help)

upgrading from Comet lake to Rocket lake doesn't make much sense. I would say wait for Alder lake, unless you need Thunderbolt 4 and AVX512

On 2/25/2021 at 10:08 PM, Berzerker said:

PCH is gonna be toasty. Mine sits at 60-70C all day. They're designed to run that hot, Intel knows that and they don't even recommend a fan. It's fine.

I don't experience the same toasty PCH. It is pretty cool even under Prime95 workload. 

pch1.thumb.png.c91aec11c7726da41fcffabb8765a088.pngpch.png.1fa73295cc4a9e900f4efe73cb7ecc64.png