How's this PSU?

AlexaKitty

Had to refund two PSUs this January, the RM750x and RM850x (the 850x with Corsair's sleeved cables) because the cables were either too thick and rigid, or the sleeved cable kit was also too large to fit in my Pure Base 500DX shroud without taking out the drive bay which would make it look extremely ugly.

So I had to go with a Fractal Design ION+ 860P, it's 860W, 80+ Platinum and has a 10 year warranty. It arrives next week.

I looked at every review I could find about this PSU and it seemed good. Though there were a few problems with it: low 5v efficiency and high inrush current. Not sure how important those are. My current CX 650 has those issues as well and I never faced any problems though.

The OEM of this PSU is High Power, again, I know nothing about them.

Can anybody tell me if this thing is acceptable for a system with a Ryzen 9 3900X and RTX 3070, possibly upgrading in 2022 when Zen 5 might be out and RTX ????, probably 4000, is out. If only Seasonic/Corsair made better and more flexible cables I'd go with them, this PSU is just too attractive and seems like the solution to my problems to just not buy it. I'd also like to know if it's gonna take anything with it when it eventually dies. I will prolly never overclock (if but a small GPU bump in both clocks and power limit).

Moved to the power supplies forum.

1 minute ago, AlexaKitty said:

So I had to go with a Fractal Design ION+ 860P, it's 860W, 80+ Platinum and has a 10 year warranty. It arrives next week.

That's a good power supply and will be good for your system.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I mean:
It's a good unit.

2 minutes ago, AlexaKitty said:

Can anybody tell me if this thing is acceptable for a system with a Ryzen 9 3900X and RTX 3070, possibly upgrading in 2022 when Zen 5 might be out and RTX ????, probably 4000, is out.

Yes

3 minutes ago, AlexaKitty said:

If only Seasonic/Corsair made better and more flexible cables I'd go with them, this PSU is just too attractive and seems like the solution to my problems to just not buy it.

don't buy by brand, you make it sound like fractal is some sort of no name trash can fire hazard brand, it's a rather large company too, this power supply is a pretty nice unit

3 minutes ago, AlexaKitty said:

I'd also like to know if it's gonna take anything with it when it eventually dies. I will prolly never overclock (if but a small GPU bump in both clocks and power limit).

Every PSU has a chance to do that. It's low with higher end units, even mid range units, in general.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

You should have consulted with us before making the purchase!!

Animated GIF

4 minutes ago, AlexaKitty said:

Fractal Design ION+ 860P, it's 860W, 80+ Platinum and has a 10 year warranty. It arrives next week.

All jokes aside, this is a high quality unit and will last you the 10 years with that warranty. One of the best on the market. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Just now, LienusLateTips said:

I mean:
It's a good unit.

Yes

don't buy by brand, you make it sound like fractal is some sort of no name trash can fire hazard brand, it's a rather large company too, this power supply is a pretty nice unit

Every PSU has a chance to do that. It's low with higher end units, even mid range units, in general.

I know not to buy by brand, and that every brand has their fantastic PSUs and the "god-i-wish-we-didnt-make-this" tier ones. But when every high end PC has a Seasonic/Corsair/EVGA PSU in it I am naturally a bit worried.

Just now, SpiderMan said:

You should have consulted with us before making the purchase!!

Animated GIF

All jokes aside, this is a high quality unit and will last you the 10 years with that warranty. One of the best on the market. 

Well you know, could always make this be the third refund

2 minutes ago, AlexaKitty said:

I know not to buy by brand, and that every brand has their fantastic PSUs and the "god-i-wish-we-didnt-make-this" tier ones. But when every high end PC has a Seasonic/Corsair/EVGA PSU in it I am naturally a bit worried.

I mean, the brands you mentioned do make some "high end" bad PSUs too

Examples:

EVGA G5 1kW

SeaSonic FOCUS

etc.... 

Don't worry, a lot of it is just hype 😛

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Alright so the PSU is good, what about its OEM? High Power? Doesn't really get mentioned when people list which PSU OEMs to look for.

Alright so the PSU is good, what about its OEM? High Power? Doesn't really get mentioned when people list which PSU OEMs to look for.

Every OEM makes shitty and good PSUs too. High Power is a lesser known one in the consumer space, but it's not like it's the end of the world. They're also known as "Sirfa" and have made quite a couple PSUs for Rosewill (newegg), and a couple others I can't actively remember rn. 

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

I guess I'll take a gamble and will update here in several years if my components are gone when the PSU dies.

Seriously why does no one make more flexible and less rigid cables, i'd have a RM850x or seasonic prime px 850 rn if that was the case

Just now, AlexaKitty said:

I guess I'll take a gamble and will update here in several years if my components are gone when the PSU dies

I really don't know why you think this is a gamble. It's a large corporation, they're clearly shown to be at least capable of selling and warrantying PSUs, and the OEM is an old one, with lots of experience. It's a perfectly good, high power (wink) and high grade PSU. 

Seriously why does no one make more flexible and rigid cables, i'd have a RM850x or seasonic prime px 850 rn if that was the case

If you want more flexible cables, considering going custom. Something from CableMod or the sort, though expensive.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

Yeah I shouldn't have to go custom cables when ordering a PSU. Aesthetics don't bother me as much as having the PSU work and fit in my case right out of the box with no extra purchases needed.

Anything PSU related makes me paranoid, I can't help it lol.

Yeah I shouldn't have to go custom cables when ordering a PSU. Aesthetics don't bother me as much as having the PSU work and fit in my case right out of the box with no extra purchases needed.

I'm not really sure why it won't fit? How are you routing the cables? I have worked with those PSUs in that specific case before, and it's worked fine.

You shouldn't need extra cables, or a power supply with more flexible than normal cables.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

I'm routing them as I'm supposed to and my cable management is not the issue. Both the RM units were 15x8.6x16 and there is little space between it and the drive bay. I have no issues routing my non-modular CX 650, which is 15x8.6x14.

Maybe I just don't know how to do it, but I spent almost two hours with each PSU and I couldn't figure it out, the sleeved cables which I thought would solve this issue were worse. Looked incredibly cluttered and nothing would fit. The stock RMx 24-pin cable had the bulging capacitors and it wouldn't let the cable go through the cable management "window" of the case.

There is no tech shop or the like anywhere within a 50km radius for me to bring my PC to, so that's out of the question.

Refunded both PSUs, got my money back, spent hours trying to find an adequate alternative PSU until I found this one.

The cables on this ION+ PSU look like a dream, I prefer flat, ribbon all black cables to sleeved "tube" cables of the Corsair PSUs. And the 24 pin ATX cable doesn't have that bulging capacitor either. The cable lengths are the same if not a bit longer than my current CX 650, I hope this time it'll work out.

59 minutes ago, AlexaKitty said:

The stock RMx 24-pin cable had the bulging capacitors and it wouldn't let the cable go through the cable management "window" of the case.

They're modular so if the cable with the capacitors on the motherboard end wouldn't fit through the hole couldn't you have just fed the cable though the other way starting with the PSU side of the cable that doesnt have the caps? 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

They're modular so if the cable with the capacitors on the motherboard end wouldn't fit through the hole couldn't you have just fed the cable though the other way starting with the PSU side of the cable that doesnt have the caps? 

Didn't think of that, but I put all the cables into the PSU before installing it.

This time I'll put the PSU in first, it's not hard to install the cables that way and it might even be the solution to this.

Even still, the RMx cables were far too rigid to even fit comfortably under the PSU shroud.