Help! Computer won't boot

dh465

Ok so I just purchased a new PC for my SO and I'm having some problems.

The specs are 

Asus x570 prime p

Ryzen 1600

Asus HD 6970

G skill 2x8

Seasonic mkii 750 bronze

Samsung 970 evo

Wd blue hdd.

My computer is basically the same expect with a 1080ti and a 3900x and 4x16 memory.

The issue I'm having is that the PC will shut itself off after a second after 8 pin power is inserted.

The computer lights up and has fan spin when the 24pin is in. I have removed the memory, GPU, ssd, hdd, fans, and all headers besides the power switch. With all of it removed I still have fan spin and lights. 

I believe that it is my mobo or cpu. I don't wish to plug in my 3900x to Guinea pig it if the motherboard is faulty as I don't want to break the cpu.

I'd rather not completely rip apart my freshly cable managed pc to trial and error it either, but that's likely what I'm doing.

The cpu and GPU are temporary until they can actually be purchased without being robbed. They are spares I have for troubleshooting. They worked well when I put them away 2 years ago but now idk.

My next step is to put her 1600 in my mobo but I really don't want to do that either cause of my liquid cooler. 

I could just return the mobo and start there but this $120 mobo seems to be out of stock unless it's being price gouged for 200$.

Anyone have any useful tips? Before I turn my living room into a hardware warzone?

Side note... my x570 was JUST purchased. I'm thinking that it may have been flashed to support 5000 series and that it no longer supports the 1600. But I do not know the "symptoms" of an incompatible bios. The only way I can think of to test is by putting my 3900x in it, but again I'm scared to put a $500 cpu into a suspect budget motherboard.

5 minutes ago, dh465 said:

I believe that it is my mobo or cpu. I don't wish to plug in my 3900x to Guinea pig it if the motherboard is faulty as I don't want to break the cpu.

you have no choice but to do that, its the only way of verifying if its either the cpu that died or the board is toast

11 minutes ago, dh465 said:

The issue I'm having is that the PC will shut itself off after a second after 8 pin power is inserted.

Double check that you used the correct 8 pin. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 hour ago, thatcreepydude37 said:

did they also mention that the pc had problems? if not, you might have gotten scammed

They? I purchased parts individually from newegg for both pcs. My pc is working great. Hers on the other hand...

1 hour ago, Voluspa said:

Double check that you used the correct 8 pin. 

Yes I used the 4+4 cpu and the 8 cpu. Both have the same issue.

My pc powers on with her 1600, memory, and psu.

Seems like an rma mobo to me. Anything else I should check before I submit a ticket?

Just now, dh465 said:

My pc powers on with her 1600, memory, and psu.

Seems like an rma mobo to me. Anything else I should check before I submit a ticket?

The QVL list for CPUs. None of the 1xxx series is listed anywhere on it. Are you using the same motherboard?

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/PRIME-X570-P/HelpDesk_CPU/

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Yes they are identical boards. And you are right... that cpu no longer seems to be on the supported list...

How likely is it that asus is shipping with 1000 series disabled to make room for 5000 series?

As mentioned her cpu boots my board no issues, but I never flashed to 5000 series bios and my mobo is 2,3 years old at this point. 

Guess I'm plugging my 3900x in here to see if I can flashback bios.

11 minutes ago, dh465 said:

Yes they are identical boards. And you are right... that cpu no longer seems to be on the supported list...

How likely is it that asus is shipping with 1000 series disabled to make room for 5000 series?

As mentioned her cpu boots my board no issues, but I never flashed to 5000 series bios and my mobo is 2,3 years old at this point. 

Guess I'm plugging my 3900x in here to see if I can flashback bios.

Pretty high. It's not that their disabled, 570 just doesn't make sense with 1xxx when there's so many other budget options for an "old" CPU

https://wccftech.com/amd-confirms-ryzen-4000-zen-3-cpu-compatibility-x570-b550-chipset-motherboards/

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

15 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

Pretty high. It's not that their disabled, 570 just doesn't make sense with 1xxx when there's so many other budget options for an "old" CPU

https://wccftech.com/amd-confirms-ryzen-4000-zen-3-cpu-compatibility-x570-b550-chipset-motherboards/

Well I'm throughly confused. I put my 3900x in hers and now it will stay on, it no longer turns off immediately. But it has no display out. Tried a different pci on her gpu and with mine... 

How can her cpu not work in hers, but work in mine.

And how can my cpu only half work in hers? I feel like I answered my question... motherboard?

2 minutes ago, dh465 said:

Well I'm throughly confused. I put my 3900x in hers and now it will stay on, it no longer turns off immediately. But it has no display out. Tried a different pci on her gpu and with mine... 

How can her cpu not work in hers, but work in mine.

And how can my cpu only half work in hers? I feel like I answered my question... motherboard?

Clear CMOS on her board just in case BIOS got angry with the 1600.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

9 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

Clear CMOS on her board just in case BIOS got angry with the 1600.

I was really hoping this would be the first time cmos solved my problem. No dice. This gpu is going through a cheap dp to hdmi adapter. No hdmi on it, lol radeon. That's the last thing I can think of troubleshooting. I'm grasping at straws now.

12 hours ago, dh465 said:

I was really hoping this would be the first time cmos solved my problem. No dice. This gpu is going through a cheap dp to hdmi adapter. No hdmi on it, lol radeon. That's the last thing I can think of troubleshooting. I'm grasping at straws now.

Can you try HDMI to HDMI to eliminate the adapter? Dp to HDMI should be fine though.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

X570 boards dont support ryzen 1xxx series only ryzen 2xxx series and later.

1600 wont work at least 2200g or later required.

** Some x570 boards support 1600 AF cpu only not 1600 non af.**

1 hour ago, DSTECH said:

X570 boards dont support ryzen 1xxx series only ryzen 2xxx series and later.

1600 wont work at least 2200g or later required.

** Some x570 boards support 1600 AF cpu only not 1600 non af.**

Many boards work fine with 1000 series, despite not being officially supported, and as he already stated the 1600 works in his identical X570 board.

15 hours ago, Aragorn- said:

Many boards work fine with 1000 series, despite not being officially supported, and as he already stated the 1600 works in his identical X570 board.

check this mentioned on AMD website -- x570 processor compatibility

I'm not really sure i get your point. Again, that list details official compatibility. And in much the same way that chart suggests A320 boards dont work with 3000 series, when in many cases they do, its also the case that many X570 boards will work just fine with 1000 series.

As evidenced by the fact that the OP has the 1600 running just fine in his non-faulty X570 board.

Its mostly about the AGESA code included in the BIOS having the appropriate microcode for all the different CPU models. Some boards have space issues and dont include everything. Many X570 boards however do include the microcode for all Ryzen CPU's.

• 3 weeks later...

Figured I'd give closure to this. Bought another motherboard, didn't work. Pulled every part out of hers, plugged them into mine one by one. Sent the motherboard back bought a 3rd one. Computer now works great. I don't think iv ever had a seamless new build Haha. 

Oh and just to reiterate, all of the ryzen 1000 series iirc, certainly the 1600 was once listed on that supported cpu list or I wouldn't have chosen this board for a upgrade path. It's odd it no longer is. I think I got 3 different boards with different agesa codes. One turned off immediately, one turned on with no display out, the last finally worked no issues at all.