ADSL ping Australia help

gEFFx

yo,

im living in an area that has no internet, but recently there is an ADSL2+ exchange that has been made and Telstra is saying i can have ADSL2+ or ADSL1. The issue with this is that the exchange is 5kms away.

What ping would i get playing csgo with this? and would there be a difference if i went with either ADSL1 or ADSL2+?

cheers

Well ADSL2 is obviously better than just ADSL.

So if you can, pick ADSL2.

Nobody can answer how your ping will be except your ISP.

You can measure it when you get the connection, but before that it's guesswork.

migrate_faq2.gif
ADSL1 caps at 1.5Mbps-8Mbps (150-800KB/s)
Ping depends on the Server you connect to in CSGO, Local to Local, say Adelaide to Adelaide, 30ms, Adelaide to Sydney/Melbourne 45-65ms I'd say...

Thing is... some ISP's hop you around...I live in Adelaide, my ISP is Local of course,.. but they redirected traffic on some services to Melbourne and Pings went up to Melb distance standards.. (40-50ms) instead of my usual local 30-35ms

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

4 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

migrate_faq2.gif
ADSL1 caps at 1.5Mbps-8Mbps (150-800KB/s)
Ping depends on the Server you connect to in CSGO, Local to Local, say Adelaide to Adelaide, 30ms, Adelaide to Sydney/Melbourne 45-65ms I'd say...

Thing is... some ISP's hop you around...I live in Adelaide, my ISP is Local of course,.. but they redirected traffic on some services to Melbourne and Pings went up to Melb distance standards.. (40-50ms) instead of my usual local 30-35ms

does distance to exchange have an effect on ping tho? i live in qld so im almost always playing on sydney servers 

Just now, gEFFx said:

does distance to exchange have an effect on ping tho? i live in qld so im almost always playing on sydney servers 

I can't remember really,... Your exchange is local, I'd expect 5-15ms there,.. (I had my ISP Internode in year 2005 at 11ms (Me to ISP)
It's likely going to be sub20ms local,...Adelaide to QLD I had about 70-90ms (Depending on which BF4 server I chose at the time of all my testing)
You are much closer.
Call it....up to 15ms local,..45-60ms QLD to Sydney (Cos I'm not 100% sure), 60-75ms maybe...+/- 10ms

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I can't remember really,... Your exchange is local, I'd expect 5-15ms there,.. (I had my ISP Internode in year 2005 at 11ms (Me to ISP)
It's likely going to be sub20ms local,...Adelaide to QLD I had about 70-90ms (Depending on which BF4 server I chose at the time of all my testing)
You are much closer.
Call it....up to 15ms local,..45-60ms QLD to Sydney (Cos I'm not 100% sure), 60-75ms maybe...+/- 10ms

sweet as man, cheers.

Would you happen to know anything about the impact on ping because of being 5kms from my exhange? im reading horror stories about people have worse ping than satellite at 5kms+.

12 minutes ago, gEFFx said:

sweet as man, cheers.

Would you happen to know anything about the impact on ping because of being 5kms from my exhange? im reading horror stories about people have worse ping than satellite at 5kms+.

Probably because Telstra does no maintenance on Copper really besides some alfoil and twisting cables together again lol...
So when you are at distance on shitty copper, your UPLOAD speed (Capped at MAX100KB/s anyway) could actually be MUCH lower, or a little lower.
I'd say you kinda NEED 40-100KB/s consistently for back and forth to the server. (Games vary...... sometimes only use 15-30KB/s but other variables likely factor in)
So if you had a crap connection and a 40-60KB/s Upload speed, it may suffer a little bit with ping jumping around from the average.
Worth looking into CSGO/Games upload rates for multiplayer,
A LONG connection at 5km's (but not on the worst copper) could likely still hold the 100KB/s upload just fine...

I've played Bf4 on a 290KB/s Down 35KB/s UP before,..at a friends house, we both jumped on, pings on 90-120ms to a LOCAL server.
Mind you BF4 kinda wants 60-100KB/s UP or more.

Probably because Telstra does no maintenance on Copper really besides some alfoil and twisting cables together again lol...
So when you are at distance on shitty copper, your UPLOAD speed (Capped at MAX100KB/s anyway) could actually be MUCH lower, or a little lower.
I'd say you kinda NEED 40-100KB/s consistently for back and forth to the server. (Games vary...... sometimes only use 15-30KB/s but other variables likely factor in)
So if you had a crap connection and a 40-60KB/s Upload speed, it may suffer a little bit with ping jumping around from the average.
Worth looking into CSGO/Games upload rates for multiplayer,
A LONG connection at 5km's (but not on the worst copper) could likely still hold the 100KB/s upload just fine...

Sweet as man, you're a legend.