Booting into OS delay.

undercooked spaghetti

Hi, I just upgraded my CPU, Motherboard and RAM. Now whenever i press the power button, everything works normally but it takes a few seconds (3-5 seconds) to display anything on the screen (the motherboard logo). After that the windows starts normally and within a few seconds. This only happens on COLD BOOTS. My motherboard is brand new so i don't think it's the CMOS battery. Also, all the fans start spinning and light up as soon as i press the power button but it takes a while to show anything on the screen. Also, I converted my boot ssd from MBR to GPT from windows powershell for the UEFI compatibility. According to a few google searches, it can possibly be my power supply. But i used this same PSU on my earlier CPU, motherboard and RAM but this problem never existed on that. I believe this CPU is less power hungry than the previous one i had but I'm not going to rule out the PSU possibility since I bought it used a while back and it's really old.  

My previous specs:

Core i7-4790 (non-k)

Cooler Master Master Air MA410P (CPU Air Cooler)

Gigabyte GA-B85M

16 GB DDR3 1600mhz

Corsair HX620 620W

My new specs:

Ryzen 5 5600X

Cooler Master Master Air MA410P (CPU Air Cooler)

Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2

16GB DDR4 3600mhz Trident Z RGB (2x8)

Corsair HX620 620W

Thanks!

You are saying that you converted your primary drive from MBR to GPT. I assume this means that you are reusing your old Windows install. This very much not recommended, when doing a complete platform change, like in your case from Intel to AMD. My first recommendation would be to do a backup of your important data and reinstall Windows completely in GPT. Once done, disable CSM / Legacy Boot and also enable Fastboot. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

7 minutes ago, Benji said:

@Analog That is pretty much besides the topic (yet still a good point; after such a large platform change I wouldn't re-use the old Windows either).

Basically every AMD desktop board since the 400 Series seems to take ages to show the boot screen because the EFIs are just filled with whatever stuff that you wouldn't really need. My Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming also takes about 5 seconds to show the ASUS splash screen and my father's MSI MEG X570 Ace takes about 10(!) seconds to display the MEG splash screen, so I'd say that nothing is wrong. And these are both results with Fast Boot enabled.

UEFI is much faster to boot compared to CSM. If the op didn't reinstall Windows, but converted an old installation, I can see how this might be causing some sort of delay, as a "conversion" is never as good as a simply a fresh install using GPT. Also Windows being Windows there could be all sort of weirdness going on in a system, that has two different sets of chipset drivers on it. 

Regarding your second point, I can relate to that. My wife's pc has a B450 TUF Gaming Pro and it boots almost immediately, while mine with a Crosshair VI Extreme takes a good 10-15sec till the computer is booted up into Windows. Both have identical options enabled in the BIOS. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Just UEFI shenanigans, there isn't much you can do about it. 

The same mobo / CPU / RAM I had in my SFF build with a 1070 and showed UEFI in a second or 2 and went through it in <5 seconds now takes a good 10 seconds to show the UEFI screen and can stay 10-30 seconds on it after just pairing it with a 3080 (and moved to another case, but that's obviously irrelevant).

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Analog said:

You are saying that you converted your primary drive from MBR to GPT. I assume this means that you are reusing your old Windows install. This very much not recommended, when doing a complete platform change, like in your case from Intel to AMD. My first recommendation would be to do a backup of your important data and reinstall Windows completely in GPT. Once done, disable CSM / Legacy Boot and also enable Fastboot. 

I reset my windows from the advanced options after the switch. So it cleaned the previous OS version. I changed my drive to gpt after the reset.  I'm still gonna do a complete fresh re-install of windows on my boot drive and convert it to GPT from the insatllation menu.